Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• Insomnia

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

How are you, dear @Bunks?
    I'll need a while getting updated with everyone's posts and lives, gee...
    ?❤️?

BunksHozan
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Hozan said:
    Insomnia

Bugger.....

Hozan

@Buddhadragon said:
    ?❤️?

I am doing ok thanks @Buddhadragon - kids are growing up....if anyone has a solution for stopping a 5 and 8 year old from fighting in a car (other than giving them screens!) I'd sure like to hear it!

BuddhadragonHozan

@Buddhadragon - how are you?

• @Bunks said:

@Hozan said:
    Insomnia

Bugger.....

I suppose that could work ... o:)

BunksBuddhadragonHozanWalker

@Bunks said:

@Buddhadragon said:
    ?❤️?

I am doing ok thanks @Buddhadragon - kids are growing up....if anyone has a solution for stopping a 5 and 8 year old from fighting in a car (other than giving them screens!) I'd sure like to hear it!

My brother and I used to fight in the car.
    Eventually, we grew out of it.
    Now we fight everywhere, except in the car...

HozanBunks
  • @Hozan said:
    I am off all social media. Today I am taking it a step farther/ further ? Its easy to return here. The people are great. The conversation is good. There is a lot one can learn here.

But this moment has been coming for me for some time....it began with shedding all social media....today Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed as supreme court justice...the US and the world is travelling down a dark path.....the time I do not spend on social media I spend looking at politics...so yes the internet can be a very addictive place. @federica you ask some very salient questions above. Why indeed do we return to reinhabit our online haunts. Our motivations count for a lot. I have to admit I find myself online too often. From this day I go into a self imposed internet exile ( not just social media). I will have to keep my work email but thats it for now. I have a buddhist practise to deepen, a real world to be a part of. I do despair of current events, womens rights, rights for minority groups, the rise of the far right, authoritarianism, global warming, online addiction.
    Being online isn't helping me. I'm not going to pretend these things aren't happening but neither will I be found online. The earliest I will be back online is when a Democratic president is in the White House but maybe not even then. Like Yoda on Dagobah and Luke on AhchTo I begin my self imposed exile. I understand @karasti need to live an offline life for a while. I wish all of you lovely people here happiness and health as I go offline - literally. Here begins my offline life and I am happy to be embarking on this adventure. It's October 06th. I may not be around this way again so I bid you farewell. Be happy. Be well.

https://goo.gl/images/epr7ME

• Just trying to make light of my big statement and here I am back again. Laughing at my own silliness!

lobsterBuddhadragon
    edited November 2018

@Hozan said:

Just trying to make light of my big statement and here I am back again. Laughing at my own silliness!

Ha! If I had a penny for every time I said I was never going to do something again and I did it I'd have 4 pound 63.....don't be too hard on yourself

HozanlobsterShoshinBuddhadragon
  • Thank you @Bunks . I really appreciate it.

BunksBuddhadragon
  • Don't sweat it @Hozan. At the time it may seem necessary and final.

Strangely enough not being the ultimate hermit/renunciate is not so uncommon. It is a question of balance. I have a need for lone time but also need good company. In other words those inspiring me to do better and having compassion for my incessant weaknesses and silliness ...
    https://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/the-art-of-friendship

HozanBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Hozan said:

Just trying to make light of my big statement and here I am back again. Laughing at my own silliness!

....And this is why we don't delete accounts.... ;)

HozanBuddhadragon
  • Thank you @lobster and @federica . It means a lot. The support and kindness here on NB has always been fantastic. ❤

BunksBuddhadragon

I am not prone to hermit/renunciate leanings, though now and then I do need some time and space to myself.
    In those times, I simply vanish for a while, feeling free to come back whenever life guides my steps back...

Hozan
  • Ireland beat the All Blacks for the first time on Irish soil and for the second time in two years.

ShoshinBunksBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited November 2018

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

They really need to change their "War" dance....

Hozan

...Or maybe the Irish team can adopt one...

HozanBuddhadragon

I'm currently semi-watching a programme on TV called 'Paramedics' and if I'm brutally honest, I worry that some of those appearing (telephone medic operators, and Medics themselves) look seriously overweight and unfit.... I have no objection to people being the size, shape and weight they are, whatever their choice is. I am more concerned that as medically-trained people (often called to attend situations which require physical activity and stamina) they're not doing themselves any favours by being what their very own medical profession refers to as "clinically obese"....

Hozan
  • Silver, Karasti and the DairyLama all M.I.A. from NB. May they be happy. May they be well.

Shoshin
  • Was thinking of @karasti just this morning and hoping she is well.

Best wishes to all our NB members MIA.

HozanShoshinVastmind

When people go awol from the media, in my opinion, it has to be a good sign.
    It mainly means they have been able to wean out and are enjoying offline life.

HozanBunks
  • Zen and The Art of The Slam Dunk. Zach LaVine of the Chicago Bulls. Like his predecessor Michael Jordan the slam dunk is truly a zen moment. Almost suspended in air and time the present moment becomes the only focus.

• Air Jordan. Zen.

edited November 2018

Huge movement in the UK rebelling against the use of Palm Oil, and urging the public to boycott
    goods made with this ingredient.
    Dreadful stuff, the production of which is wreaking havoc with native environments, habitats and the safety and continuation of many different species...

I'm in...

Bunks
  • I concur with The Irish Wildlife Trust's take on Black Friday...

lobsterShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2018

@federica said:
    Huge movement in the UK rebelling against the use of Palm Oil, and urging the public to boycott
    goods made with this ingredient.
    Dreadful stuff, the production of which is wreaking havoc with native environments, habitats and the safety and continuation of many different species...

I'm in...

Have you seen this? It was banned as being too ‘political’... the only politics I see in it is that it seems to be against big business.

edited November 2018

Not so, @Kerome , if I may interject, it was not banned for being 'too political'. It was banned because it cointravened Advertising Standards Guidelines in that it was SPONSORED by a Politically interested party. Advertising standards dictate that all advertisements have to be neutral in their production and funding. It wasn't the advert that was 'too political'. It was the fact that the sponsors were politically connected.
    Greenpeace agreed that they had contravened the guidelines and voluntarily pulled the advert.
    Had they not, they would have been fined.

So let's please get the facts correct.
    The advertisement has received massive coverage and broadcasting through other means, including being aired by online newspaper companies, as in the link above.
    But let's not create schisms where none exist.

HozanJeroen
  • You can't beat a good interjection. Dilly Dilly!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hmm so far this week we had summer on Wednesday, ( people on the beach and swimming in the sea) winter on Thursday ( all wrapped up warm with fires on for most of the day) and summer again on Friday ( back to people on the beach and swimming).. And today....Well normally I walk to one of my jobs, up the road down onto and along the beach, however today the weather looked suspect, so I drove... and lucky I did ... it's now bucketing down outside...raining cats & dogs :) ...It's set in for the whole weekend...

The tanks will be full ...in fact overflowing and the ducks are having a field day :)

And to top it off ... earlier this week a Tasmanian paper wasp foundress decided to build her nest just outside my bedroom window...

Such is life's conundrum ... :)

Kotishka

I know it is a US thing but I have suddenly started seeing stuff about Black
    Friday sales in Australia. What is this?

We re truly becoming the 51st state!

Don't get me wrong, Americans are beautiful people but it's a bit of a shame that our "young" (from a European perspective) country is slowly losing our unique culture. Globalisation hey....

We had Black Friday sales here too @Bunks ...so Oz must be the 52nd state... :)

edited November 2018

... *Ahem! * I diff to beggar...!

We have been America's 51st state since a little after the Boston Tea Party!

"Black Friday has been knocking around in the US since the 1940s, when Americans flooded the shops the day after Thanksgiving, lured by the promise of post-turkey discounts.

Then, with the advent of online shopping, retail giant Amazon began offering British consumers Black Friday discounts in 2010."..!

My father always said that nothing of great worth and value came out of America after the 1950's... It would appear that now, in Trumpland, nothing good is going on IN it either...!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I know it is a US thing but I have suddenly started seeing stuff about Black
    Friday sales in Australia. What is this?

We re truly becoming the 51st state!

Don't get me wrong, Americans are beautiful people but it's a bit of a shame that our "young" (from a European perspective) country is slowly losing our unique culture. Globalisation hey....

This is the first year that Ive seen a big advertising push for Black Friday deals in the shops here in the Netherlands. But I was walking through town on Wednesday, and every other display window had a Black Friday sale mentioned on it.

I’ve also been buying new trousers. Hey ho, the world carries on.

Hey ho, the world carries on.

Hey ho, the world carries Om.... ;):)

Just been to a White Ribbon Day event put on by the local branch of "Living Without Violence" who do a fantastic job in our community helping both women & men and families ...

We all have the right to live in a violence free world ....

lobsterBuddhadragonHozan
    edited November 2018

This afternoon I was strolling along the beach ( I was going to pop into work for a while) when I met a sweet mother & daughter who were visiting from Montreal ...And in the space of a couple of minutes of saying "Kia Ora" I found the mother had been adopted by a Canadian couple when she was a child (the mother is Afro-Caribbean born in Trinidad) ...We spoke a little about our connection to the West Indies ( my father being Afro-Caribbean Jamaican)...

They were just over visiting the island for the day and have fell in love with the place (the mother would move here if she could :) )...the mother had just been telling her daughter, that as a child in Trinidad she lived close to the beach, and walking along the beach reminded her of Trinidad when she was a child...

I saw them again around 45 minutes later when I was walking home...We hugged and they wished me a nice Christmas...as I did them.... It was a nice meeting..... :)

Just thought I'd share, one of many experiences had today :)

lobsterHozanBunks
  • I saw them again around 45 minutes later when I was walking home...We hugged and they wished me a nice Christmas...as I did them.... It was a nice meeting..... :)

Keep up the good work. Sounds like a plan. B)

I met another keen amateur bird watcher yesterday. We were able to swap experiences of sparrow hawks, the elusive kingfisher and other local wildlife.

HozanShoshinBunks

You almost inspire me to take up bird watching @lobster the pictures are beautiful... except that over here there’s nothing but rather ornery seagulls.

Gulls. Not seagulls. There is actually no such thing as a 'seagull'. With all the different species of Gulls there are, an extremely limited number are 'sea'gulls. More gulls live inland than on the coast...

• The beginning of the end for Trump. Woo Hoo !!!!!!

• ????????

I predict his teflon coat and arm-thick layer of slease-grease will get him out of any problems. he's insinuated he's untouchable. So far, somehow, he's been proven correct.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited November 2018

@federica said:
    I predict his teflon coat and arm-thick layer of slease-grease will get him out of any problems. he's insinuated he's untouchable. So far, somehow, he's been proven correct.

Al Capone was supposed to be untouchable and John Gotti....Trump hasn't a fraction of the intelligence of either of those 2 mobsters. Safe to say that Trump, his family and his "empire" are about to crash and burn.

P.S. it was Mueller got John Gotti.

Safe to say that Trump, his family and his "empire" are about to crash and burn.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Hozan
  • @federica said:

Safe to say that Trump, his family and his "empire" are about to crash and burn.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I know how you feel. Part of me is afraid to be too optimistic.

Adrenaline rush...Navigating Samsara...

Or

Riders on the Storm

Hozan