Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantra Mumbles

I do like my mantras:

I tend to favour Chenresig at the moment
OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH

I have to be careful about effects, invocation can be powerful ... and transformative
http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/08/03

I also like to use a theistic mantra, from a non-Buddhist mantra ...

What ya mumblin'?

Buddhadragon

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

At the moment I am half-way through completing a full cycle of Tara invocations with a mala...

But I love the lilt of -

Om Ah hum Vajra Guru padma siddhi h'ng...

And -

Gate, Gate Paragate, Parasamgate Bodhi Svha transports me, if I sway as I say it.

(Don't ask).

However -

Tayateh Om Bekhandzeh Bekhandzeh, maha Bekhandzeh Radza Samudhgate Soha

-is not easy...

Which when you think about it, is appropriate, as nobody said administering First Aid ever would be....

KundolobsterBuddhadragon
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I love me some mantras as well. My regular ones are:

• Om Mani Padme Hum
    • Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha
    • Sabbe Satta Suki Hontu
    • Tayetah Om Bekandze Bekandze, Maha Bekandze Radze Samudgate Soha (became my regular mala when recovering from my surgery)
    • Om Shanti

Just to name a few. I also use some Hebrew phrases
    ??????

HozanlobsterBuddhadragon
  • Sabbe Satta Suki Hontu

First Pali one I really like ... rhythm and sounds are right.

Mantra are used as part of a wider psychology in Tantra as many of us experience ...
    https://buddhaweekly.com/tantric-wrathful-deities-the-psychology-and-extraordinary-power-of-enlightened-beings-in-their-fearsome-form/

KundoBuddhadragon
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I like the one from the metta meditation...

May I be happy. May I be well. May I be safe. May I be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be safe. May you be peaceful and at ease.

Buddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Mantra Mumbles

Om...I would have to say............. :)

• May I be happy. May I be well. May I be safe. May I be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy. May you be well. May you be safe. May you be peaceful and at ease.

We getting into subtleties and nuances. To me the above is a prayer because the meaning is more important than the sound. Though of course these definings are fluid ...

I do not use secular words such as 'Peace' or 'Relax'. Though these are used in hypnotic relaxation sequences available on youtube, which I do use.

I also don't use the Catholic-Yiddish mantra/song OY VEY MARIA o:)

Entrainment never really worked for me, only the 'Schumman Resonance'
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_entrainment

And now back to the mantra ...

KundoVimalajāti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2018

I'm so sorry... I really thought it was going to be a mickey-take when she came striding out... the bustle is way too high and she reminds me of the doll on the loo roll...

Nice voice, too much lip gloss.
    (Women need to stop wearing lip gloss after a certain age...)

One of my favourite "mantras" used to be 'Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you'. (John 14:27. It is used during Mass, specifically during the Eucharist...)

I used to use this as a means of calming myself down after a tricky emotional situation, and encouraging the growth of compassionate feelings for myself and towards the other participant, against whom I felt angry and resentful.

Fortunately, I haven't had to use this for a good while, now.

Kundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

As usual, as ever, Green Tara mantra is my staple recitation:
    OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

If I do mantras (lately I actually have been) I usually just do something spontaneous and made up on the spot.

The last little while I've been using the White Tara Mantra.

Om Tara Tuttare Ture Mama Ayur Pune Gyana Puntin Kuru Soha.

I've sort of incorporated it in with my Metta meditation and it just feels right for now.

Kundo
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2018

I've always thought this section of the Great Compassion Dhāraṇī had a particularly pleasing rhythm to it:

nama āryāvalokiteśvarāya bodhisattvāya mahāsattvāya mahākāruṇikāya
    I bow to noble avalokiteśvara, to the bodhisattva, to the great being, to the great compassionate

If you recite the mantra with the Sanskritic vowel lengths a lovely interchange of shorts and longs emerges:

namĀryĀvalŌkitĒśvarĀya bŌdhisattvĀya mahĀsattvĀya mahĀkĀruṇikĀya

Hopefully that gives something of the idea of how it is recited, and doesn't just look like a weird mess.

Oh the various things I find time to be distracted by! :3 Hearing dhāraṇyaḥ recited aloud in Sanskrit is a treat, I would highly recommend it, even if only for an ethnomusicological experience.

Kundo
  • newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer

I normally go with
    OM That time Tara ture soha

There are other good ones but this tends to be more automatic. :)

• I am One with the Force and the Force is with me.

Vimalajāti
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2018

@Hozan said:
    I am One with the Force and the Force is with me.

Oṃ, aham so 'smi so 'ham asmi, svāha!

Hozan