Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm a bit late to the Black Friday discussion. Sorry it has reached your shores. As someone who has had to cope with this phenomena for a long time now I recommend ignoring it, staying home that day if you can and spend the time with your family. If you must acknowledge it, watching the mobs on the news offers opportunities to bond with others through shared mockery and disdain and forces you to exercise your eyes with reflexive eye rolls.

Over time stores opened earlier and earlier until eventually some places would open Thanksgiving day and stay open all night. Pleasantly at that point many stores came out and said that they would not be following suit and that they would not open so early so their employees could spend the day with their families. I don't notice any adverts exclaiming super early store openings any more. It seems consumerism can go too far, even here. Hopefully it won't get to that point for you all.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It's too late @person ...I'm afraid the damage is done, people are hooked...God have mercy upon our soles.... as we rush to the Black Friday sales..... ;):)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

In all honesty, Black Friday can be great to strike some good deals on things we really may need.
    I did not read the discussion, but I did buy some things I did need, some of them, at half the price.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I totally ignored, avoided and excluded Black Friday from anything I did, and am delighted to say I lived to tell the tale.

lobster
  • Bravo @federica
    Black Friday - sell it!

Good plan. Cheap at twice the price ...

Black Buddha Friday. Give Away!

How bitter it feels when people you have always supported and done good for bite your hand.
    Even if you do not do good expecting good in return, ouch, it does hurt.
    But it'll pass...
    ?

HozanBunksShoshin

I was just sitting here reading comments on newbuddhist when lightning struck followed by an almighty thunderclap which shook the house...Shake rattle & roll...

There's a rumble in heaven's jungle and the Samurai swords are clashing... brightening up the heavens :)

BunksBuddhadragonHozanlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Buddhadragon - there'll be a teaching in there somewhere! ??

BuddhadragonHozanShoshin

You bet there is, @Bunks
    It was there all along for years but I was reluctant to digest it.
    I am ripe for it now...
    ?

HozanShoshinfedericalobster

Another house shaking thunderclap ...Hey keep the noise down up there...I can't hear my self think....no wait ....that's a good thing ...keep up the good work... ;)

federicaHozanlobster

@Shoshin said:
    I can't hear my self think....

The mind is like... a thunderclap
    ?️?️?️

ShoshinHozan

Thunderclap Newman

Hozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Lightning striking again...?

...And now the sun's out and all is sweet again, with birds singing ...I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind :)

Hozan

As we say here in the UK, "If you don't like the weather - wait 5 minutes..."

Shoshin
  • @Shoshin said:
    ...And now the sun's out and all is sweet again, with birds singing ...I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind :)

Mother nature's monkey mind? Organised chaos? Patterns?

BuddhadragonShoshin

@Shoshin said:

Well, the day has been similar here in Switzerland today.
    Sudden showers one moment, with all hell breaking lose, and a blinding sun the next...

HozanShoshin
  • Its freezing here now. Car windows already frozen. I'll be defrosting in the morning.

BuddhadragonlobsterShoshin
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited December 2018

That was random, useless and an announcement. Think i've covered all bases there.

federicaBuddhadragonlobsterShoshin

@Hozan said:
    Its freezing here now. Car windows already frozen. I'll be defrosting in the morning.

Where are you @Hozan?

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Big earthquake in Alaska last Friday, power went out, black Friday all over again but all the stores were closed, their wares spread all over the floors. My house undamaged, so far as I can tell. 3000 aftershocks and counting, I'll keep burning joss sticks until they stop, or until I run out of joss sticks.

Much metta, @Fosdick ❤️?❤️

lobsterShoshinHozan

@Fosdick

Did it cause much damage ? Any injuries or fatalities > @Bunks said:

@Hozan said:
    Its freezing here now. Car windows already frozen. I'll be defrosting in the morning.

Where are you @Hozan?

I think he is somewhere in Ireland @Bunks ...

HozanBuddhadragon
  • Joss sticks for larger problems ...

BunksFosdickShoshinBuddhadragon
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I want one! I want two! The perfect Christmas gift!

@Shoshin said

Did it cause much damage ? Any injuries or fatalities

Few injuries, mostly minor evidently, but no fatalities,
    made a mess of some roads and bridges, including areas on some major commuter routes, but no large buildings collapsed. Schools are all closed this week, quite bit of mess to clean up there, ceiling tiles fallen, etc.

I haven't been out of the house since the quake, but must venture forth tomorrow to return library books - assuming the library is open.

Good news no fatalities and may the injured recover quickly...Safe travel to the library tomorrow...

Buddhadragon

@Fosdick said:
    I want one! I want two! The perfect Christmas gift!

@Shoshin said

Did it cause much damage ? Any injuries or fatalities

Few injuries, mostly minor evidently, but no fatalities,
    made a mess of some roads and bridges, including areas on some major commuter routes, but no large buildings collapsed. Schools are all closed this week, quite bit of mess to clean up there, ceiling tiles fallen, etc.

I haven't been out of the house since the quake, but must venture forth tomorrow to return library books - assuming the library is open.

And to think my husband's a bit upset about all the leaves on the lawn....

• @Bunks said:

@Hozan said:

Where are you @Hozan?

Irelandl

Buddhadragon
  • @Fosdick said:
    Big earthquake in Alaska last Friday, power went out, black Friday all over again but all the stores were closed, their wares spread all over the floors. My house undamaged, so far as I can tell. 3000 aftershocks and counting, I'll keep burning joss sticks until they stop, or until I run out of joss sticks.

Much metta @Fosdick . Stay safe.

Buddhadragon

@lobster said:
    Joss sticks for larger problems ...

And just when I thought that nothing could astonish my hubby about my Buddhist practice anymore, imagine me crossing the door with one of those over the shoulder...

HozanlobsterShoshin

@Fosdick ...Please be our eyes on the ground when you do venture to the library...

Ooo stay warm @Hozan. We are having the opposite issue here. Forecasting 38c on Friday! Fire season is about to begin.

HozanBuddhadragon
  • Thanks @Bunks . I really hope fire season has as little a damaging effect as possible this year. With global warming these have become very destructive with loss of life over the last number of years in particular.

It's extraordinary how conscientious "the Man in the Street" is when it comes to pollution and global warming... The World leaders needed a really good, strong wake-up call during the UN Summit, and David Attenborough pulled no punches.But profits and wealth seem to be more important. Trump failed to attend and withdrew; Attenborough described his position as 'out on a limb'.... I just pray that more people take note, take it seriously and take up arms (metaphorically!) against offending Governments....

Fosdick

Talking of visiting libraries in distressful times, I have a 1938 edition of Alexandra David Neel's splendid book "Buddhism," which I highly recommend, by the way.

According to the withdrawal slip still present on the back cover, the book used to belong in an English library, and was still regularly borrowed from 1940 through 45.

I find it nothing short of amazing that even during the Blitz, people still managed to borrow books from libraries and manage to carry on with their lives....

Hozan

I find it nothing short of amazing that even during the Blitz, people still managed to borrow books from libraries and manage to carry on with their lives....

...It's called the British stiff upper lip syndrome ;)

"War !!! What war ???" Please pass the biscuits".... :)

HozanfedericaBuddhadragon

.....I'll put the kettle on.... =)

ShoshinHozanlobsterBuddhadragon
  • I guess I will lurk here in my basement for a few more days, and feel grateful that I still have a place to do so.

We used to dream of a basement ...

:3

<3<3<3

ShoshinHozanFosdickBuddhadragon

@Bunks said:
    .....I'll put the kettle on.... =)

Of cooos, my deeeaahh....

HozanShoshin

I spent the most awful day in France.

I met a friend of mine who lives in Mulhouse for our monthly lunch and got caught in the midst of the social upheaval that is ravaging the country.

I'm exhausted...

My younger daughter lives in France. She too has had a few bumpy days going to and from work...

• @Buddhadragon said:
    I spent the most awful day in France.

I met a friend of mine who lives in Mulhouse for our monthly lunch and got caught in the midst of the social upheaval that is ravaging the country.

I'm exhausted...

Glad you returned safely home @Buddhadragon . Turbulent times.

Buddhadragon
    edited December 2018

A good friend of mind has just lost her lifelong husband.

They had their suitcases already packed to leave on vacation and he had just had the good news of an important rise in his pension.

Dukkha seems to have a perfect timing to strike when it can hurt the most....

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Oh crud. My half-sister is traveling to Toulouse at this very moment. Bad timing...

@Buddhadragon said: A a good friend of mind has just lost her lifelong husband....

I can totally sympathise and equate. One of my ex-colleagues took early retirement to spend more time with her husband, who it appears, had a heart problem. Not one week later, he came in to the store one wednesday morning and he made a couple of purchases, one of which I served him for.
    The same afternoon, he died, of a massive coronary, sitting in his favourite chair.

"The trouble is, we think we have time."

We take so much for granted, and presume too much.
    Yet every breath is more precious than the last, because it is one breath less....

Bunks

It's not like you need to worry at all, @nakazcid
    I just pondered on the fact that life is unpredictable...

Hozan
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:

@Buddhadragon said: A a good friend of mind has just lost her lifelong husband....

I can totally sympathise and equate. One of my ex-colleagues took early retirement to spend more time with her husband, who it appears, had a heart problem. Not one week later, he came in to the store one wednesday morning and he made a couple of purchases, one of which I served him for.
    The same afternoon, he died, of a massive coronary, sitting in his favourite chair.

Quite some reminder. My father had a problem with heart arrhythmia, for which he had a pair of operations. But he was told by his cardiologist that these are the kind of issues that you can still become old with...

edited December 2018

I have a recurring technical issue: now and then, when I log back in to the site, I find indicated on my profile info the country where I live.

I like to keep "Samsara" as my generic location, among other things because, as I have often discussed here, I have a rather persistent and psychotic stalker on my tracks.

Is there a way to avoid this sudden change?