Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Myers Briggs personality type

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

Came across this short piece and thought to ask if people here know what type they are and would want to share. Even if you're unsure I saw myself immediately in this.

INTP all the way here.

Vastmind

Comments

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

INFP-A

person
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Vimalajāti said:
    INFP-A

What does the A mean? Also, did you watch the video and did you recognize yourself?

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

A friend had me take this test once:

https://www.16personalities.com/

It seems to be a Myer Briggs test. I wouldn't know how good it is.

• ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

My experience with this test is one of the things that helped me to understand anatta when I started learning about it.

If I respond to the questions with how I felt/behaved for maybe the first 30-35 years of my life, I get the ISFP, "The Adventurer"

Now I'm 40, married, 2 kids, office drone job, and the sudden impact of responsibilities that I spent most of my life ignoring has drastically changed how I interact with the world. So now I seem to be an INTP "The Logician"

I miss the old guy. Letting go of the past is one reason I'm on the path.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2018

WTF?

I don't even know what the acronyms stand for.....so I can't stake a claim. :eh:

ETA : Here's breaking the code
    https://www.careerplanner.com/MBTI/What-Do-The-Letter-Codes-in-Myers-Briggs-Mean.cfm

If you want to know my personality...get to know me :mrgreen: .
    I'm way too complicated/full of changes for a test to be reliable or accurate. , hahahaha

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The last time I took this kind of test it gave me an INTP.

But I do wonder about the the accuracy and usefulness of the types. It seems like quite a shortcut to try and categorise all of mankind by sixteen rough types, which calls into question how much you can tell about a person through the classification. There are bound to be a lot of outliers.

Carameltail
    edited June 2018

@Vastmind said:
    WTF?

I don't even know what the acronyms stand for.....so I can't stake a claim. :eh:

ETA : Here's breaking the code
    https://www.careerplanner.com/MBTI/What-Do-The-Letter-Codes-in-Myers-Briggs-Mean.cfm

If you want to know my personality...get to know me :mrgreen: .
    I'm way too complicated/full of changes for a test to be reliable or accurate. , hahahaha

No doubt a characteristic of one of the personality types. =)

ETA: If I were to put you in a box, which "your type"(just poking fun :p ) hate, I would guess ENFP

ENFPs have an Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving personality. This personality type is highly individualistic and Champions strive toward creating their own methods, looks, actions, habits, and ideas — they do not like cookie cutter people and hate when they are forced to live inside a box. They like to be around other people and have a strong intuitive nature when it comes to themselves and others. They operate from their feelings most of the time, and they are highly perceptive and thoughtful

Vastmind
  • ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

@Kerome said:
    The last time I took this kind of test it gave me an INTP.

But I do wonder about the the accuracy and usefulness of the types. It seems like quite a shortcut to try and categorise all of mankind by sixteen rough types, which calls into question how much you can tell about a person through the classification. There are bound to be a lot of outliers.

dude, that's totally what an INTP would say. :p

personKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2018

@person .... that does sound like me :3 ......... * hammers claim stick in the ground * ?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2018

I took one of these the last time a link was posted here, which was a few years ago. I waffle between INTJ and INFJ, as I recall. Kind of borderline between those two. When I read the explanation of what it meant, and also the potential career choices appropriate for that type, I really recognized myself. I was impressed with the test in that respect.

But I didn't recognize myself from the exaggerated cliche images on the video. I don't think the video does the test justice.

personKundo

@Dakini said:
    I took one of these the last time a link was posted here, which was a few years ago. I waffle between INTJ and INFJ, as I recall. Kind of borderline between those two. When I read the explanation of what it meant, and also the potential career choices appropriate for that type, I really recognized myself. I was impressed with the test in that respect.

All the categories are evaluated on a spectrum, which I'm sure varies from time to time and for people more in the middle of any of them will be able to see themselves in several categories

But I didn't recognize myself from the exaggerated cliche images on the video. I don't think the video does the test justice.

Maybe they are just extreme versions of each type. I must be solidly in my lane because as soon I saw the kid talking, I was like, ME.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

When I was in my 20's I tested as an INFP. Now in my 40's:

I actually agree with most of it....

personVastmind

@nakazcid said:
    If you're looking for boring, I've got you covered. I'm an ISTJ.

Hello =) (with a different shirt on)

nakazcidVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Apparently, I'm an IGAF....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I'm a WTF personality type ;)

yagr
  • INFP. I discovered this test a few months ago, and the analysis really rung true. It has been very helpful to learn that certain 'defects' of mine were just my natural personality... nothing bad, just different.

person
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:

Better than IDGAF personality... :awesome:

Vimalajātiredapple

@mindatrisk said:
    INFP. I discovered this test a few months ago, and the analysis really rung true. It has been very helpful to learn that certain 'defects' of mine were just my natural personality... nothing bad, just different.

I think part of what I like about these sorts of things is that it helps me feel a little more normal. So instead of buying into the social butterfly narrative of being a nerdy introvert that overthinks everything, that its okay to be me.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kundo said:

@federica said:

Better than IDGAF personality... :awesome:

(They might be the two facets of the same piece of gold leaf...)

Kundo
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I thought I'd post an update to my, um, test results. Nearly all of these online, Internet tests peg me as ISTJ, but the test @Kundo took sez this:

...and looking over the results, they seem quite a bit closer to the mark than ISTJ. I think I was ISTJ at one point, but have been doing a lot of work over the years on compassion, empathy and openness, and I think that may be the reason for the different results.

personDakiniKundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2018

I am supposed to be this...

It seems to be that fictional characters such as The Joker, Jack Sparrow and Sherlock's Irene Adler fall within this category...
    ?

Hozannakazcid

I do like the Myers-Briggs test, but learning more I think the big 5 personality is the better measure. It is backed up by lots of research and used by psychologists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

A free online test, only takes a few minutes.

My scores:
    Extraversion: 1 ?
    Emotional Stability: 97
    Agreeableness: 35 (I'm a little unsure on this one, socially I feel like I am pretty agreeable and positive. But when it comes to ideas I think I've well demonstrated that I am pretty disagreeable)
    Conscientiousness: 54
    Intellect/Imagination or more commonly called openness to experience: 94

The Big Five is supposed to have more “hard science” behind it than the MBTI. Anyways here are my results:

Extraversion: 0 (I actually beat @person. Yay.)
    Neuroticism - 56 (I think is the inverse of emotional stability)
    Agreeableness - 87.5
    Conscientiousness - 56
    Openness to experience - 71

So I’m an affable hermit, I guess.

federicaperson

I prefer the enneagrams far more.
    I find the test far more accurate.

https://www.9types.com/rheti/index.php

Hozan
    edited December 2018

I looked at the test, @Buddhadragon , and it's extremely 'Black-and-white', either/or... and i found sometimes the options somewhat restrictive.

But based on a spontaneous, decisive exercise and response pattern, I got:

Type 1: The Reformer. The rational, idealistic type.) Equal top with
    Type 2: The Helper. The caring, nurturing type. )

And I'm ok with that....

person
  • @Buddhadragon said:
    I prefer the enneagrams far more.
    I find the test far more accurate.

https://www.9types.com/rheti/index.php

I've never taken this test @Buddhadragon . I must give it a go !

Buddhadragon

The Enneagrams are a pretty ancient system and I understand Gurdjeff rekindled its use.

There are many psychology and spirituality books built around it.

I took the test on different books and sites and the result is always the same:
    -Type 7 is my main type (Adventurer/Epicurean/Enthusiast)
    -Then come type 9 (peacemaker) and type 8 (asserter or challenger) as secondary types

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited December 2018

I bet I'll get DABSITW personality type again...as I seem to in all of these types of tests...

I forgot to add the link for the big 5 personality test.

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/IPIP-BFFM/

I took the enneagram test and I too found the questions to be too black and white, it probably would be better if they gave a range of agreement rather than yes/no. Anyway, I was a 9 Peacemaker (scored a 7) and the description seems to fit, I've taken this test in the past and seem to remember being a 9 but don't remember it being called peacemaker. I also scored a 5 on thinker and generalist.

BuddhadragonHozan

Names for each personality change in different sites and books, @person

Hozan

It's all a bit ridiculous though, isn't it...? I mean, here we all are, trying to drop 'the self' and abandon all attachments, and here we all are, scrutinising just what types of 'not-selves' we are....

It's quite funny really....

I am not who I was yesterday.
    I am not who I shall be tomorrow.

And every day, is one day less....

personnakazcidyagr

Well...
    I dare say it's all about spiritual advancement.

As much as our present bundle of aggregates could be in constant flux, it still tends to engage in repetitive patterns of neurosis that make us stumble over the same stone over and over again.

This kind of tests help bring awareness onto those patterns and help us plant new seeds for more skillful responses and ways to relate with fellow sentient beings in order to lead more fulfilled, aka dukkha-free lives....
    ?

nakazcid
  • Sounds like a good test for someone with multiple personalities... INFJ

Shoshin
    edited December 2018

So would most of you correlate ‘Feeling’ with compassion/empathy or just simple emotionality?

I would think simple emotionality, @nakazcid

I have seen many people who are very emotional about their own feelings and life, but could not care less what went on in other people's lives.

Hozan

@Buddhadragon Thanks for the input. I've only dabbled in these personality tests, and have been unsure how to interpret them.

I found this very helpful for getting a handle on the basics of MBTI: https://mbti-notes.tumblr.com/basics

I am just inferring, @nakazcid
    I am more acquainted with Enneagrams than I am with Myers Briggs...

My humble opinion is that the fact of being emotional not necessarily entails more empathy or compassion.

Hozan
    edited December 2018

@Buddhadragon Again, thanks for your thoughts. Just for fun I took the Enneagram test you linked earlier. I turned up as:

1) Reformer
    2) Helper
    3) Motivator

I'd say I'm closer to Helper than the other two, but I don't really know if that's a good description of my personality.

EDIT: Well, poop. I read the results wrong. What I come up as is primarily the Peacemaker, with a tie between Artist and Helper for second place. (or 9, 4, 2.) That seems closer to the mark.

Buddhadragon
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It can be a useful mirror for seeing yourself...

Kundo

@Kerome said:
    It can be a useful mirror for seeing yourself...

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!"

(Robbie Burns)

I think sometimes, much as it might hurt, it is useful to contemplate the views of others on our selves, and take heed that - however difficult the opinion might be to swallow - they might just have more than an element of truth.