Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Wow what an experience" Or should this be Whale what an experience...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Lady swimming with Orcas in the wild.... Whale Wow what an experience...

A friend had a similar experience a few years back on the island, she lives in an isolated area and was out swimming when a pod of Orcas paid her a visit...She said the experience was surreal ....

BuddhadragonHozan

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have heard of the therapeutical effects on children with special needs exposed to swimming with dolphins.
    I also have friends who have swam with sharks in Panama and Thailand, which strikes me as less therapeutical...?

Orcas are not supposed to be killer whales?
    In Argentina, blue whales often get stranded on the beaches of Patagonia fleeing schools of orcas....

ShoshinHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Orcas are accomplished hunters and some have been known to kill people while held in captivity (there's a lesson there. somewhere...) so @shoshin, I actually think those ladies should consider themselves extremely lucky (in more ways than one...)..!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2018

According to marine biologists Orcas hunt sharks, seals, and sting rays, humans are not a food source, however like us humans, Orcas can get frustrated and annoyed, hence why there have been cases of humans being killed by Orcas in captivity ....

Many moons ago my friend's son ( who was a teenager at the time and was into surfing) was surfing with friends at one of the local beaches when a pod of Orcas started to swim along side them ...

Then there was the more recent case on the island where a couple of young children were swimming in a bay when a pair of Orcas swam pass them...

Sting rays are often seen in the bay ( the bay's called Enclosure Bay) ...so it's possible the Orcas were on a hunting trip, hence why they were in the bay at the time...

HozanKundoBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Having a whale of a time - bet you wish you were here!"

Shoshin

I do... :)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2018

I got to swim with dolphins when I was newly pregnant. It was a magical experience ???

Shoshin
    edited December 2018

That would have been an awesome experience @Kundo ... B)

One of my sons swam with whale sharks in the Philippines and another with dolphins in Jamaica...They said it was a fantastic experience...My son and his girlfriend who were (at the time) living in Jamaica, also learnt to scuba dive and have some amazing short video clips of swimming with giant turtles taken with a go pro camera...

Both sons sent me short video clips of their adventures....just to make me jealous....and it worked ;):lol:

BTW I almost stepped on a sting ray as I was walking out of the water...that was a big surprise... causing the heart to flutter...I guess unbeknown to me at the time, I must have been swimming with it :)

Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Shoshin it was truly amazing. I love Dolphins out of all sea creatures the most. My soon to be husband (next week) will be taking me for a weekend to spend with them for a wedding present. I'm very spoilt ??

ShoshinJeroen

Awesome & Congratulation @Kundo ..... :)

Kundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Congratulations @Kundo...

The closest I’ve ever gotten to something like that was when I went snorkelling off the Great Barrier Reef near Cairns when I was visiting Australia some 15 years ago. There was a big fish near the reef, still not sure what it was but it was pretty large...

Shoshin

Might have been a Sunfish

Kundo