Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Humbug ?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2018 in General Banter

Are you coping with the seasonal cheer?
How?
Any tips?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Ignoring it as much as I am able......

nakazcidKundoShoshin
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

As a famous miser once said, "Bah humbug!"

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I am coping well enough so far, or as well as can be expected anyway. Went to town and bought the must-have dead tree to make my wife happy - weather was miserable, visibility was bad with blowing snow, traffic was dense, saw 9 cars in the ditch and saw 3 people run red lights. I rather enjoyed it. My viewpoint would no doubt be different if it was my car in the ditch or T-boned at an intersection.

Spent the last 3 or 4 days trying to convert one of my wife's whimsical drawings into a Christmas card - enjoyed that too. Got to fiddle with the computer, learn something new while sitting on my rear end, including how to bend my accursed and ill-designed printer to my will.

The season is quite a success so far, but I foresee that it will deteriorate soon.

BunksHozan
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I love the Christmas season and all going well so far.
    This time of the year feels like a sort of reprieve.
    Sort of "we made it so far, forget all the drama and let's start from scratch in the New Year."
    Life goes on, move on with life...
    What feels strange is how people look at you being a Buddhist celebrating Christmas.
    By Buddhists and Christians alike...

lobsterHozanperson
  • I say Yum Eggnog instead of Bah Humbug.

nakazcidlobsterHozanperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2018

@Bunks said:
    Ignoring it as much as I am able......

That's one way.
    I get infected. :3

All that hysterical cheeriness and buying ... I manage to avoid.

Won't somebody please think of the children Helen Lovejoy

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    Are you coping with the seasonal cheer?

How?

Any tips?

Sod off.

BunksKundolobsternakazcid
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I really enjoy Christmas... the lights, the cheerful people shopping, the stalls which sell gluhwein and oliebollen (a kind of doughnut), the trees... even as a Demi-Buddhist I have to say, any good excuse for a party. It’s kind of the feeling of here is the depth of winter, let’s celebrate!

personlobster
  • I hope you see your half sister @nakazcid

I think it is the hypocrisy of enforced sociability. If that is your nature, as @Buddhadragon mentions - wonderful. Otherwise gruel and one Skype call will do me. Most of my family are in Spain this Christmas ... cards sent.

Hozannakazcid
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I know someone who keeps a Christmas ornament on their bookshelf all year round to remind them of the spirit of the holiday, generosity and spending time with family and friends. I really enjoy the holiday as I have money enough to spend on gifts without it affecting my budget and positive family relations to spend the time with.

I can see how people with money stresses, both not enough and the need to show off, and those who are alone or have negative family relations would dislike being reminded of their difficulties or feeling pressured to keep up appearances and feel like others good fortune is being thrown in their face.

lobsterKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@person said:
    I know someone who keeps a Christmas ornament on their bookshelf all year round to remind them of the spirit of the holiday, generosity and spending time with family and friends. I really enjoy the holiday as I have money enough to spend on gifts without it affecting my budget and positive family relations to spend the time with.

I can see how people with money stresses, both not enough and the need to show off, and those who are alone or have negative family relations would dislike being reminded of their difficulties or feeling pressured to keep up appearances and feel like others good fortune is being thrown in their face.

I like the ornament idea. Kind of like wearing a mala round the wrist as a reminder...

I was being facetious earlier (no, really? Yeah, really...!)

I do enjoy Christmas but I am honestly astounded at just how much we put into the marking of one day a year. Really, some folks do go overboard and over-do it, and really - for what?!

if it makes anyone feel better, it's 12 weeks to shrove Tuesday....

lobster
  • Hoping it doesn't all turn into a Jingle Balls!!

Buddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2018

This is what Santa really thinks of Christmas...

HozannakazcidKundoBuddhadragon
    edited December 2018

Cue Bing Crosby...
    "It's beginning to look a lot like Chriss-mas (bu-bu-bu-buum...)"

lobster
    edited December 2018

I was searching YouTube for a holiday lights video and came across this interesting story of Humbuggery. A man who put his love and energy into a massive holiday light display that his neighbors (exactly what happened isn't clear) complained about, traffic and light, etc. and had removed? So the guy now displays an FU display in the true spirit of Grinchitude.

An article a bit more from Bill Ansell's side.
    http://steelthismag.com/the-curious-case-of-bill-ansell/

Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2018

????

nakazcidlobster

I would not be too harsh on people, and think that the reason for all the cheer and gaity of the season is stemmed in hypocrisy or fake.

We all cope with dukkha as best we can and when this time of the year arrives, we try to buy into the illusion that family love will defy impermanence and that next year all our dreams will come true.

When in fact every year the family table gets smaller from all the beloved ones who passed away and reality after January 1st will be as harsh as it was before the Christmas delusion...

lobsternakazcidFosdickHozan
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Buddhadragon I'm glad you find the holidays a joyous occasion. I'm not sure if how I see Christmas is genuine insight, or if it is just me projecting my negativity on the holiday. Maybe a little of both. It seems likely you enjoy it more than I do, and more power to you!

BuddhadragonHozanlobster

Fantastic article ????

• I feel @person video of scrooge in reverse was very sad :(

I recommend a holiday film 'Bad Santa' and its sequel (adult film, not suitable for miners)

HozanBuddhadragon

@nakazcid said:
    @Buddhadragon I'm glad you find the holidays a joyous occasion. I'm not sure if how I see Christmas is genuine insight, or if it is just me projecting my negativity on the holiday. Maybe a little of both. It seems likely you enjoy it more than I do, and more power to you!

Accept this invitation with an open mind, @nakazcid
    Try to view this renewal of bonding as an opportunity to maybe entertain a new way of seeing the holidays...

nakazcidHozan

@lobster said:
    I feel @person video of scrooge in reverse was very sad :(

Yeah, when the story started I was kind of on Bill's side and was amused by his naughty display, but then it showed just how far he took it and nasty he became and the whole thing took on a really dark tone. It's not a story of happy humbug but a case of genuinely embittered scrooginess.

I recommend a holiday film 'Bad Santa' and its sequel (adult film, not suitable for miners)

I second that, at least for the first one, despite its crudeness (which I'm a fan of) it has real heart and holiday spirit (also a fan). I haven't seen the second one but from the reviews it sounds like it keeps the crudeness but forgets the heart.

lobster

Sadly sequels are usually never as good as the first (except Deadpool ?)

lobster
  • calcetinescalcetines scandinavia Explorer

In Mexico, December is the month everyone has off, and the cheer is high.
    There are lots of tourists seeking warmth (means income), the office humans work less (means they stress the rest less), and even factories close or pay extra time finally.

Once work is out of the way, or at least figured out, there are the posadas, i.e. PARTIES!
    Parties at work, parties at school, impromptu parties between the people in your gym, or the neighbors... I read somewhere that by the time it's Dec 24, there should've been 12 posadas already. Twelve! That's a party every other day!
    And in each posada: A GIANT PIÑATA to break together and then surf through the people to get to the candy they release :pleased:

Then there's the food: every time there's a posada in a home, you get there earlier and cook together. And on the 24th: you get somewhere around noon and start cooking and drinking and hanging out until it's 20h and those who are there to eat (and stay to clean) arrive.
    And on the 25th? You reheat eeeeverything from the night before and eat it again, this time in front of a movie :P
    And on the 31st, you ask? SAME. SAME SAME SAME!

Finally, there's the people you do want to see: you load yourself with whatever you can: candy, homemade desserts, leftovers from your office posada, leftovers from artistic stuff from the entire year... you bring it to your aunt's home, or your colleague's home, and you offer it as a token to show you're grateful that someone opened their home during what can also be a lonely time of the year...

Of course this is a generalization, and of course this isn't for everybody, but I have had pretty bad Decembers, for many many years, yet there was always somebody there who said "Come mija, spend some time here, some of us want to feed you".

Any tips, you ask, @lobster ? Feed someone or find someone to feed you :D

Is anyone in the north of Mexico this December, by the way? I am finally going after a 3-year pause, and my brother (who told me about this beautiful space!) and I would love to feed you :D

lobster
  • @Kundo said:
    Sadly sequels are usually never as good as the first (except Deadpool ?)

Indeed.
    The first Deadpool was a love story, the second a family film. ?

@Kundo we have to go to the Buddhist naughty corner and start digging our way to the hell realms. We iz bad!

I feel @calcetines is much closer to the ideal, offering to feed ... I feel nourished by the good intent ... ?

Kundo

Any tips

Treat everyday as the same day ...

This way no day is special and everyday is special....
    Merry Daymas Day to one and all <3

Remember....
    Christmas comes but once a year bringing happiness and sorrow alcohol and fear...

• Due to works on the house we don't have any signs of Christmas at home yet, the latest our decorations have ever gone up! We're doing it Sunday and can then start to get in the Christmas spirit.

I enjoy the festivities, it's not a Christian festival to us, it's a tradition, a chance to get together with family and a chance to spoil the kids and get them excited.

federicapersonlobster
  • OK Everybody! That time of year!
    BAH HUMBUG! AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR! =)=)=)

lobsterKundo

Well today is the island's Santa Parade...so I've hired a hitman sniper to take Santa out as he rides down the street on his reindeer float..

A small price to pay for some peace and quiet ;);)

lobsterfedericaKundonakazcid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2018

Feed someone or find someone to feed you :D

Seems like a plan. If @Shoshin's contract hit is successful, roast Santa? Not what you meant? :mrgreen:

Reindeer sausages and gruel? Ganachakra sadhana?
    https://ganachakra.com/category/practice-for-others/

Shoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Well today is the island's Santa Parade...so I've hired a hitman sniper to take Santa out as he rides down the street on his reindeer float..

A small price to pay for some peace and quiet ;);)

Hopefully with a paintball gun?

@Kerome said:

Hopefully with a paintball gun?

Don't worry @Kerome ...the hitman took my money but didn't do his job, instead he joined in the Santa Parade...riding shotgun on Santa's float ;);):)

lobsternakazcid

Don't tell me. You had him fired.

KundolobsterShoshin

@federica said:
    Don't tell me. You had him fired.

Yes...But he also got the 'sack'...from Santa ;)

federicalobster
    edited December 2018

So the hitman made off with everybody’s presents? As well as getting paid twice, for the hit and by Santa? Not bad work if you can get it...

Shoshin

Applications are open for santa-sniper 2019.....Join an orderly queue...!

Shoshin
  • Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

I am not a Christian but I enjoy the holiday season and the solstice as a reminder of the natural world. Its a great time to relax, get outdoors for fresh air and into nature. I try to keep it simple. It is also a good time to reflect on gratitude. So many people have so little. I am grateful for the roof over my head and the food in my belly.

JeffreyfedericalobsterShoshin

I love it, because in 2 days, it's the shortest day; Samain, when the Lord of Darkness is overcome by the coming of the Light and the days begin to get longer.
    I am not normally a fan of Winter, but this year has been far more clement and pleasant than previous years, and it hasn't felt too much like Winter, at all...

Watch me 'speak too soon'....!

@federica said:
    I love it, because in 2 days, it's the shortest day; Samain, when the Lord of Darkness is overcome by the coming of the Light and the days begin to get longer.
    I am not normally a fan of Winter, but this year has been far more clement and pleasant than previous years, and it hasn't felt too much like Winter, at all...

Watch me 'speak too soon'....!

Samhain was Oct 30. It’s Yule in 2 days.

Here in Oz it’s Litha in 2 days - longest day of the year (and my wedding day) ☀️☀️☀️

@Kundo said: Samhain was Oct 30. It’s Yule in 2 days.

Damn. Missed again. I meant Saturnalia. Doofus.

Here in Oz it’s Litha in 2 days - longest day of the year (and my wedding day) ☀️☀️☀️

A really good buddy of mine in the UK Got married on Midsummer's day (June 21st) and she arranged the wedding for 08.00, so that if it went tits up at least they hadn't wasted the whole day... I jest you not.

(FTR, it's been 17 years and they're still married.... ;) )

Kundo
  • Saturnalia, when the Lord of Darkness is overcome by the coming of the Light and the days begin to get longer.

Hail Santa, Stan, Satan, Saturn the Lawd of Darkness, I wonder if he is interested in my hell realm picnics™️. He can wear black ...

And now back to the humbug festivities ...

Zazen1Jeroen
  • Baha-haha-ha-ha Humblebug!
    Oh, and a Happy New Year or two or three or... ;););)

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Happy Holidays NB!! ?

I’ve been embracing and enjoying the cheer this year. Several office parties, marathons of tv Christmas movie classics, all the decor everywhere. Yep...this season is going nice... =)

Zazen1Shoshinlobster
  • Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

Happy Holidays @Vastmind !

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2018

In Africa,Ghana specifically,yes, they know it’s Christmas...and go to Church all day and can can get caught up in the materialistic aspects just as the rest of us. ;)

• Ah Church ... the one place I might find a bit of peace from all the frenzy. I wonder if they sell easter eggs yet? o:)

The sheer horror continues infecting >:)

person