Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

a bit of real Christmas

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited December 2018 in General Banter

I imagine everyone's got bits and pieces of what it is that might constitute a true Christmas in their lives. This song, which on more than one occasion has made me cry, is one of them for me. Whatever your bits and pieces of a time of peace, I hope your Christmas bits and pieces come together and keep you warm. (The singer gives a small historical verbal intro that I like but you may not ... you can easily skip over it.)

ShoshinFosdickpersonlobsteryagrZazen1

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2018

The spirit of this magazine from 1913, and of the story of Jesus himself, is the same as that which inspired these words from Eugene Debs after being convicted of violating the Sedition Act for speaking out against WWI: "Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." They all speak to the heart of the same struggle.

yagr
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Not only one of the best Christmas stories but one of the best stories ever. In case people aren't familiar.

lobsterZazen1
  • Peace on Earth. Goodwill to everyone.
    No hell Noel.

Plan? We haz Buddha Christmas Nature.
    ? Sending you Metta, Love Dear Friends. ?

... and a Happy New Year
    https://seanrobsville.blogspot.com/2009/10/can-buddhists-celebrate-christmas.html

ShoshinZazen1yagr
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Christmas is a tonic for our souls. It moves us to think of others rather than ourselves. It directs our thoughts to giving.” — B. C. Forbes

Zazen1person
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I really thought this Christmas choir was fun and clever. It's pretty Christian, I hope you can... Handel it.

Shoshingenkaku
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2018

Since the pot appears to be boiling, I thought I'd add this carrot as well:

PS. And perhaps this small addendum:

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Merry Xmas.....

lobster
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited December 2018

Having been off to war, that song stuck home. Songs don't generally bring tears to my eyes. But, as with the old Germans, this one did.

Peace to you

yagr