Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think that just appears to you on your profile, it's not visible to anyone else. It happens occasionally if you have logged out, or turned your computer off then on again, or there is an automatic server update of your system. It merely functions to confirm your IP number, which can change....

Also, check if your connection to the site is 'secure' or not. usually, there's a padlock indicated in the address line, to the left. If it says "Not secure" in red, then your security on forum is compromised...

Does having a photo of you compromise your security? It may not be wise to portray yourself if there is someone giving you problems stalking. It's an identifiable thing, because the site is accessible to lurkers and viewers from outside of the forum. The only "invisible" SUB-Forum is the members-only" one.
    Otherwise, you can be seen by any non-member who searches....?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2018

Red sign, so warning of not secure.
    I'll check the Chrome settings.

As to the photo, well, at some point I am fed up with having to hide myself behind an avatar just because a nutcase has granted me a stardom in her life I definitely did not need.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Buddhadragon said:
    Red sign, so warning of not secure.
    I'll check the Chrome settings.

I contacted @Linc because it would appear (although I can't be certain) that it's a server/site setting that he may have to deal with. I don't think it's anything we can resolve...
    I have the same issue.
    If you have clicked on the red warning triangle and 'Not secure' notification, it explains the risk involved.
    If anyone else is concerned by the same issue, I have notified @Linc and I await his response....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Another member told me he gets the same red warning when logging in to the site, so yes, apparently there might be a general issue.

Hozan
  • Works to the house finally complete, yay. Mrs has been waiting a month for a new kitchen and I've been waiting a month for my books and piano back!

BunksShoshinlobster
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited December 2018

Sadly, it's not free. The public taxes pay for their board and lodgings. Maybe he could sue Trump for those expenses...

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2018

Thunder clapped the rain made a sound...first pitter patter on the roof then a mighty drum roll on the ground
    Lightening struck as the rain begun...brightening up the night sky like a midnight sun

Well this went on for a least 3 hours non stop during the night, very loud thunder claps shaking the building and bright lightening flashes...

I'm somewhat tired this morning, but the late night show was exhilarating :)

Hmm I'm also reading H.G.Wells "War of the Worlds" book ...

What causes Lightening ...

Last night/early morning was one hell of a thunder storm and light show...

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Did you get any photos @Shoshin ?

edited December 2018

Unfortunately no, not any of the thunder and lightening strikes @Bunks ...However I did take a video of the stormwater channel that Mother Nature made in the sand on the beach to release the excess water back into the ocean...

Over 33,000 lightening strikes were recorded in the last 24 hours...

Bunks

Feng Shui.
    Wind Water.

They change the form and perspective of our land.

Big time.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

A couple of pieces of good news; my sister made it out of France safely, despite running into some protesters at the Toulouse airport. She's now in Amsterdam. Furthermore, I managed to get the 23rd off, so I'll probably be able to visit her in the North.

And in more pedestrian news...I just completed two 48 hour weeks of night shift, and now get to enjoy a week off.

lobsterShoshinBunks
  • Our central heating boiler is down.
    Send it metta, engineer will fix it in a few days.
    Hope so. Christmas guests the following day. We may have to huddle around a bowl of gruel, gangham/sangha style ...
    Metta to material things? Yes. <3

Scheisenhausen @lobster ! Not good. I'd imagine it's a wee bit fresh in your neck of the woods right now.

Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

lobsterZazen1

@lobster you might have to go cold turkey at Christmas...

Stay warm :)

lobsterZazen1
  • Thanks guys. ????
    Loads of parts replaced and the boiler needs further parts today. Hope it gets done before ...

Winter Is Coming
    House Stark

• Fixed ???✔️??☀️

Zazen1Shoshin

(On boxing Day it will be 10 weeks to Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras.
    Am preparing now by making pancake batter and freezing it, and booking a New Orleans Street Jazz band and carnival float, complete with dancers...
    Open Invitation!

Vastmindlobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2018

I don’t see a RSVP in there, Aunt Fede...but consider the invitation accepted. I’ll bring the King cake ;)

federica
    edited December 2018

Christmas Day on the Island....

...and then the rains came again...

There will no doubt be some very sad holiday goers (the island's population quadruples over the summer period) However I did meet two very happy children who had the beach all to themselves they were having a ball, building sand castles and running in and out of the sea... :)

Merry Christmas ....Anyone having a white Christmas with that cold soft white flaky stuff ? ...If so enjoy :) Oops and if not enjoy also :)

Zazen1lobsterWalker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Yup, had to shovel the white stuff this afternoon after dinner.

Had a nice quiet Christmas Day with Mrs. Walker and her parents. Mrs. Walker is liking the Ninja coffee bar I gave her. She's been waiting to kick the evil, malfunctioning Keurig to the curb for a while now, lol.

lobsterShoshinZazen1

Season's Greetings to you and your family @Walker :)

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Thanks @Shoshin . All the best to you and yours as well.

Shoshin

Thanks @Walker ... My daughter and her boyfriend came over yesterday...(my daughter stayed overnight but her boyfriend had things to do in Auckland so went back early evening) Just walked my daughter down to catch the ferry back...

On my way home ( it's around a 40 minute walk) I stopped to smell the flowers

and was in awe once again at Mother Nature's beauty... and attention to detail...

Then closer to home I spied a Pukeko who decided to jump up and walk on top of the fence/edge...

Which reminded me of the biological control measures at the Zealong tea plantation I visited earlier on in the year...The wild Pukekos walk over the tops of the tea plants picking off the tiny insects ....

lobster
    edited December 2018

A while back a Tasmanian paper wasp started to build her nest just outside my bedroom window....
    And now two of the foundress's children are all grown up and helping mum with the household chores...getting things ready for their siblings arrival...

They never complain or grumble...they just get on with the task at hand .... Such sweet children... :)

lobsterKotishka
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

A few years ago, there was a pack of wolves that frequented my neighborhood, might have been 5 or 6 of them, but I never saw them together as a pack, though the neighbors did - their house lay more on their customary route.

They did all come into my yard one night and left their tracks all over the place. One of them came up behind me as I was walking a dog - the one that appears in my user picture - and the dog became incensed and charged at the wolf, which retreated back up the street. On another occasion, one of our dogs that had gotten loose ran up to a wolf, and then retreated back to the house when the wolf took offense and snapped at her (I didn't see this, but the neighbors told me about it).

One night one of the wolves lurked behind a tree and barked at the house, driving all the dogs crazy - so much so that I feared they would break a window in their lust to do battle. I thought it was a dog out there, and I took up a shovel and sallied forth to brandish it threateningly. I was much surprised when it turned out to be a large grey wolf behind the tree, a wolf that retreated back up the street in a very leisurely fashion, still barking back at the dogs.

These wolves threw a scare into some people, and I think they a killed a couple of small dogs in other parts of town, so Fish & Game slaughtered the whole pack, and now there are no wolves here.

I was just looking out at the snow, and thinking how much I miss those guys.

lobsterShoshinZazen1

@Fosdick said: so Fish & Game slaughtered the whole pack, and now there are no wolves here.

You had me enthralled upt to this point, then I just felt sick.

I love that Humans create the problems, then provide solutions by killing animals they've upset the balance with.

Shit-tards.

lobsterFosdickZazen1
  • I hope a new pack arrives @Fosdick

What a privilege. I am in full support of apex predators, that includes us ...
    https://defenders.org/sites/default/files/publications/social_and_ecological_benefits_of_restored_wolf_populations.pdf

I myself am part predator ... and cannibal ...

:3

Zazen1Bunks

A Heron decided to join me as I walked back up the track from the beach this morning...( my second skinny dip of the season)

What a pleasant surprise <3B) BTW it was not as windy as it sounds ....

lobsterVastmindBunks

When this obscene amount of money is paid for a fish that is on the critical/extinction list, simply to feed people's sensual and elite appetites, you finally know what's fucking wrong with this world.

edited January 2019

I remember, I remember,
    The fir trees dark and high;
    I used to think their slender tops
    Were close against the sky:
    It was a childish ignorance,
    But now 'tis little joy
    To know I'm farther off from heav'n
    Than when I was a boy.

Thomas Hood, 'I remember, I Remember'.

Perfect illustration...
    You think you've done quite well along The Path and are making good progress, and then you do just one stupid-jerk thing that makes you realise you're actually 5 miles behind yourself....

Ah well.. re-tie the boots, pick up the knapsack, get up off this rock and keep walking....

lobster

Tomorrow is Epiphany.
    Some people take down their Christmas deckies as it's the 12th day of Christmas.

However, I shall be taking down our Christmas decorations on The Feast of Imbolc, also known (or more precisely, purloined by Christians) as Candlemas Eve, on February 1st.

Besides, it's my day off tomorrow, and I can't be arsed.

Vastmindlobster

Walking along the beach this morning I spotted this ...

A severed foot ? Or a piece of driftwood ?

And the other day I spotted what I thought was a severed arm with hand attached on the same part of the beach...more driftwood...

All mind games....perception playing tricks with the mind....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

But what you see is significant, think of the somewhat-discredited Rorschach test.

• Enjoyed @Shoshin walk with a heron.
    Yesterday we were in Bushy Park. Crowded but did not stop me capturing this fish sacrificing itself to a hungry heron ...

ShoshinBunks
  • Bravo @Lee82
    Are you training for it?

• @lobster said:
    Bravo @Lee82
    Are you training for it?

I will try and find time for some training yes. Already healthy eating and losing weight; hope to lose 2 stone before the challenge. We do quite a bit of walking anyway but nothing like that distance or time.

lobster

Thanks everyone. Past few days have been challenging, but as usual, you're all wonderful.

• Your dedication doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated @federica

Vastmind

<3

@federica said:
    Thanks everyone. Past few days have been challenging, but as usual, you're all wonderful.

Hang in there mate.....I don’t get on here much anymore but I have always respected and admired you for what you do. We have had a moment or two over the years but that’s ok too!

?????????

Vastmind
    edited January 2019

Yes, it was a bit of a "Whoa, what dafuq just happened?!" hour or so, but intense. Still me an' my good buddy @Jason swept the debris up, tidied the room and plumped up the cushions again.... :D

BunkslobsterVastmind

...And then there were 6

^^Ow my bleedin' Gawd...! ^^

Is electric scooter hire ( using your mobile app) all the go in your neck of the woods ?

...if not...don't worry, they will be coming to a city near you soon...

They are bloody everywhere throughout Auckland... It's as if you just park them up anywhere...

...Via the USA....? I don't live in a huge important city so maybe we'll get lucky and miss out on the fad...

We do have a Mobility/Disability Scooter hire store though, and are menaced on a daily basis by those who are too infirm (or lazy!) to walk around town.

Where I used to work, we regularly had to approach those people and ask them to please slow down in the store... and there have been accidents where collisions with people and vehicles have occurred.

Problem being that those people using said M/D scooters, assume they have a god-given right to go where they like, park where they like and speed as they like. They're supposed to be equipped with a speed variant, but most people seem to select 'fast' 'dangerous' or 'lethal'...

• I recently had a conversation with a parking enforcement officer. Asking if they had been issued with tasers yet (I iz a little wikid) ...

Maybe the disabled could do with a jolt?

Here to help o:)

... oh and traffic wardens/parking enforcement officer do have a sense of humour ...

VastmindShoshin

Well it's around 27 C ( maybe 30 C here on the island...it's normally a couple of degrees warmer than in Auckland central).... I've just got back from the beach (Hey it's summer time here, I'm on holiday and life's a beach)...and the sand was hot, hot enough to burn the soles of my feet, which it did, I had to hop skip and jump all the way to the water from where I sat...it was that hot, I kid you not... but the ocean was nice and refreshing :)

Bunks