Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non verbal dharma

As we know the dharma can be written in sand mandalas, as was kabbalah. Dharma can be conveyed in sound - mantrayana, spoken, written and ...

... Expressed in mudras, dance and body language. So the lotus pose conveys the Buddha mind. Advanced adepts can teach by sign alone in Sufism and Zen flower raising.

If mindful we can embody the Buddha dharma ...

Is plan? Can I be Buddha please?
http://mindfulnessarts.org/blog/body-movement/how-body-language-affects-our-thoughts-feelings-and-communication/

ERoseColinA

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Body Language is apparently the major percentage of communication (the other spheres being (a) the actual verbal content and (b) the manner, means and inflection by which it is communicated.)
    This is why communication via the written form is largely inadequate and more open to misinterpretation than anything else.

As someone who has been involved in Sales for over 30 years, and has worked in Counselling, I'm really rather good at interpreting Body language.
    It's something by which EVERYONE gives themselves away, more often than not, involuntarily.

so "watching" your own body language is vital, perhaps more so than watching what you say and how you say it...

lobster
  • How does this body of transmission or transmission of bodhidharmour manifest?

• Acting stillness, in other words mindful and stillness in being
    • Harmony. Buddha dance off.
    • Presence of Well Being
    • Absorbing negative movements and countering negative behavour modalities

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samu_(Zen)

paulyso
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I recommend the book Body Language, it's not that big and fairly easy reading with lots of illustrations to show what they mean. Having some degree of conscious knowledge is really helpful in reading others and communicating what you intend more effectively.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Non verbal dharma

personColinA
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@lobster said:
    How does this body of transmission or transmission of bodhidharmour manifest?

• Presence of Well Being

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samu_(Zen)

thanks lobster.just recently i was thinking work can be a key to awakening.so i samu on in landscaping.getting better in sit,be,do.

on another note,the topic reminds me,actions can speak volumes.smile ,thumbs up,...all good.and the lore of buddha,twireling a flower...the sum of dharma,maybe by means of gnosis the culmination of intuition and reasoning.one disciple smiled or laughed.his eurika!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2019

Genuine smiling.

Iz practice!

Genuine good will. I'll join [subject to capacity]

Resonate. Radiate. Meditate (the three aaahs of Buddhist practice) ... wait ... I may be the forth ass ... :3

... and now back to Bodhi Language

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    How does this body of transmission or transmission of bodhidharmour manifest?

• Presence of Well Being

If you’ve ever seen Thich Nhat Hanh do walking meditation then you will get a little bit the communication of stillness and mindfulness through body movement, and also the harmony and well-being that comes with that. It’s in being aware of every movement that you make, suddenly everything is a lot slower and a lot more aware.

• It's something by which EVERYONE gives themselves away, more often than not, involuntarily.

so "watching" your own body language is vital, perhaps more so than watching what you say and how you say it...

Indeed.
    Expression, saying the righteous thing is secondary to the effect it has. Just as the transmission of dharma can be by sign alone ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/25347/query-regarding-dharma-transmission

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Working in construction I interact with Mexicans on a regular basis. I have more in common on a professional cultural level than with most white people. One of the home stores had a special sale a while back on some patriotic hats so I bought a couple because I liked their look and my work hats get dirty.

I began to notice different body language from my compatriots originally from south of the border. At first I didn't think anything of it, but as it continued I eventually put 2 and 2 together. I was the same and didn't have any ill will, but the people that do tend to use patriotic apparel as their team uniforms. At first I thought of not wearing those hats anymore, but then I thought the haters don't get to own the flag, I'm not willing to cede that to them.

What I do now is to go out of my way to be nice and offer a smile with eye contact or a pleasant hello or something similar. In my mind I imagine that receiving those small kindnesses and attitudes that they are welcome in the country from someone who they may initially perceive as being against them being here as a small act of non verbal dharma.

federicalobster