Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Moral Nihilism

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2019 in Buddhism Today

As someone who has to regularly send myself to the naughty corner for an amrita cleanse, here are my moral principles

• Be kind to all beings, except evil fish and Trumpettes who are non sentient
  • Learn to speak without being spoken to. Languages to learn: body, machine, dog, tree and tongues. Human languages? Hard.
  • Embody the dharma by practicing sangha, master, lama and method acting (caritta rather than stick or attachments)
  • Always argue with yourself which is more agreeable than being wrong

OK not sure what numerous mistakes I will need addressed (off to naughty corner right now) but are we in greater need of sane sila?
https://accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html

Dhammapāda [Dh 54]:
No flower's scent goes against the wind — not sandalwood, jasmine, tagara. But the scent of the good does go against the wind. The person of integrity wafts a scent in every direction.
http://www.chezpaul.org.uk/buddhism/MSt_dissertation.htm

ColinAJeroenpersonDavidShoshinFosdick

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I have been reading about Kabir, the poet and mystic. He says in his various songs that a human should attempt to be the host to a godly experience, and then only when the self is no more suddenly god will be there... beautiful, and perhaps also a bit nihilistic.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

That was really beautiful and speaks to my heart and mind.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

The person of integrity wafts a scent in every direction.

On the odd occasion I've wafted a scent in all directions but I've been called a bloody stinker ....Only because I was honest and owned up ;);)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

My moral principles

Take each day as it comes and to be mindful ....of thought word and deed...( taking into account the relative nature of all things eg good, bad, right, wrong)...

One could say my moral principles are somewhat flexible.... :) Or perhaps I have no morals to speak of ;)

adamcrossleyColinA
  • From another thread

I prefer to listen to people who can talk the talk and walk the walk.

I'll listen to that podcast, walk that Way, seal that Sila.

Iz the Higher Grounding ...

ColinA