Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Middle Way

JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

"The way to liberation first taught by the Buddha was the Middle Path lying between the extremes of indulgence in desire and self-mortification. The mind must be open to all experience without losing its balance and falling into these extremes. This allows you to see things without reacting and grabbing or pushing away.

"When you understand this balance, then the path becomes clear. As you grow in understanding, when things come that are pleasant, you will realize that they won't last, that they're empty, that they offer you no security. Unpleasant things will also present no problem because you will see that they won't last either, that they're equally empty.

"Finally, as you travel further along the path, you will come to see that nothing in the world has any essential value. There's nothing to hold on to. Everything is like an old banana peel or a coconut husk--you have no use for it, no fascination with it. When you see that things in the world are like banana peels that have no great value for you, then you're free to walk in the world without being bothered or hurt in any way. This is the path that brings you to freedom."

-Ajahn Chah

lobsterColinApersonJeffreyDavid

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I don't know how to ask this in a completely constructive way. How do we distinguish this view of freedom, which sounds correct and wise to me, and apathy where nothing matters?

David
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Apathy (to me) = Indifference. Not caring either way, and shrugging your shoulders at either consequence or outcome.
    Freedom is being able to detach, but still have an open and compassionate attitude for every angle and result.

BunksJaySon
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@person said:
    I don't know how to ask this in a completely constructive way. How do we distinguish this view of freedom, which sounds correct and wise to me, and apathy where nothing matters?

I don't know, but I suspect the distinction lies somewhere in the motives and insights underlying our view of freedom. One is a relief; the other a burden to the mind.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2019

I read this as I get my super bowl* snacks ready: grapes, mixed nuts, olives, potato chips, tortilla chips, beer, and taco hummus. I will try to not feel too deluded.

*yes some Americans like their super bowl. we are world champions of it seeing as we are the only ones who play it. that increases the odds greatly

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@JaySon said:
    "The way to liberation first taught by the Buddha was the Middle Path lying between the extremes of indulgence in desire and self-mortification. The mind must be open to all experience without losing its balance and falling into these extremes. This allows you to see things without reacting and grabbing or pushing away.

Jewel
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2019

@person said:

Apathy and nihilism is hopeless and samsara entanglement and ignorant drowning.

Love matters. Love Frees us. You do not hold on to Spiritual Love. You give it freely.

Increase in Love - Dervish Dharma

Imigine where the centre of an infinite circle is?

Everywhere.

adamcrossley
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2019

@person said:

I sometimes get stuck here and all I can think of is perspective. To say nothing has intrinsic value -to me- does not take away from any value coming into existence through conditioning.

Because value or purpose is made rather than found doesn't decrease the value.

Also I find impermanence itself intrinsically meaningful in that it allows for experience good or bad. In fact when good and bad fall away I find a good without opposition so I often find myself the odd one out. I use the Suttas mostly and do not see a contradiction in Zen or Madhyamaka or the Sutras...

Some seem to find the illusion nothing more than a nuisance but I see it as a handy tool.

Maybe it's just the difference between the Arhat and the Bodhisattva mindset, I don't know.

• I find a good without opposition

Sounds good to me ...

David
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited February 2019

@Jeffrey said:
    *yes some Americans like their super bowl. we are world champions of it seeing as we are the only ones who play it. that increases the odds greatly

Just like the World Series in baseball then... i’ll look at the recording in the morning.

Whereas the real world championship they call the “World Baseball Classic”, lol.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2019

@lobster said:

I find a good without opposition

Sounds good to me ...

Me too.

The reason I say so is because it all works. That is, information is being shared and so things advance. Things like an increasing sense of awareness or the growth of a lotus in the mud.

Work itself is just information being shared and the only opposite to information being shared is no information being shared.

The latter is just a concept because we can plainly see information being shared.

The potential for growth through the sharing of information must have always been.

lobster