Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On Your Mala, Do Yawns Count?

tom_hitttom_hitt Fairview PA New

I have started using a string of mala beads to count breaths. I DO NOT move to the next after a yawn (even though technically it's a breath). Not looking for an in-depth discussion- just curious how others use their mala beads. TH

lobster

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2019

Mala beads are intended, officially, to count mantras, not breaths, and it's little wonder you yawn because irregular intake of oxygen can trigger yawns.

Forget using it to count breaths.
    Here is what I wrote some time ago (and I have it from the horse's mouth) on proper, correct and accepted use of a mala:

This is a traditional Buddhist Mala.

It consists of a string of 108 beads, joined by a larger bead known as a Guru bead. There are also two attached smaller strings of 10 beads each, which are counters.

The mala is worked by counting the beads over the middle finger of the right hand, in one direction, then, when reaching the Guru bead in that direction, turning the mala and going through the beads in the opposite direction. (You never cross over the Guru bead.) One full mala cycle is therefore a 216-count.

While passing each bead over the finger, it is traditional to recite a specific mantra. This could be a phrase of your choosing or invention, or a particular mantra that you prefer to use. There are several popular ones, each with a specific significance and purpose. But using one of your own creation is absolutely fine and acceptable. It is, however, strongly recommended that you stick with one mantra throughout the process.

With regard to the counters, Once you have completed one full round of the Mala (216 beads), you select which counter thread to use first, and you slip one small bead on that thread, to the other end.
    You then work through the mala another 9 times,(back and forth) until all the beads on your chosen 1st counter thread are used.

Then, you move one bead on the OTHER counter thread. One bead on the second counter thread, signifies that you have used the mala 10 times thus far.

Then you begin all over again. Use the mala as directed, and begin another set of ten cycles, which you will count off on the first counter thread.
    In the end, you will have counted 10 x 10 x 216 bead-counts.

This is the traditional, devotional use of the Mala, and can be life-changing, depending on the Mantra you use, because it entrenches your chosen Mantra into your Consciousness, and changes your Mind-set. So what you choose to recite - and you will be reciting it over 21,000 times - is extremely important, and significant.

It's also important to pick a time when you won't be disturbed, or you can be calm, alone and focused. A full Mala cycle can take anything up to 15 minutes to recite, so give yourself adequate time to get yourself in the moment....

lobsterKundotom_hitt
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2019

Great explanation from @federica <3

I have an industrial strength Mala, which I normally wear on birthdays and Christmas as a necklace. Breath counting is boring. Which is not a bad thing.

Breath
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/506134#Comment_506134

Letting air out
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/444059#Comment_444059

You might like to consider a mantra, it has the added advantage of making you feel like a NAB (New Age Buddhist). You might consider something like:

TRUMP IS A CANT

however much better is something without a yawn eg.

• PEACE
    • RELAX, DON'T DO IT (Frankie Goes To Hollywood - mantra)

Or you could nab a bit of mantrayana/vajrayana and actually yawn aloud
    OM MANI PADME HUM

What fun. Scare the cat, neighbours and yourself ...

Buddhism, just a breath away from ... another breathing ...

You might like the Free Aro Zog-Zen course, which ends with a bottle of wine-meditation
    http://aromeditation.org

May All Be suspicious Auspicious

Kundotom_hitt
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@tom_hitt said:
    I have started using a string of mala beads to count breaths. I DO NOT move to the next after a yawn (even though technically it's a breath). Not looking for an in-depth discussion- just curious how others use their mala beads. TH

I use malas daily. If I yawn midway through a chant. I repeat before moving to the next bead.
    ??????

tom_hitt
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2019

Not looking for an in-depth discussion

Oops.
    Must pay more attention ... so I am better prepared to ignore what is said and concentrate on meaning ...

This morning I released my mala from two images, one each of Avolitekeshavara Chenresig and Shakyamuni. I then lit a tealight on my shrine. Lit a frankincense joss stick from the tealight and chanted:

OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH
    I tend to chant silently or very low volume as that gives me audible feedback on how calm, audibly spiritual and humble I am ... o:) I am extremely humble incidentally ?

I then dedicated the merit to @tom_hitt ... you lucky thing ... :)

tom_hitt
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:.... how calm, audibly spiritual and humble I am ... o:) I am extremely humble incidentally ?

Yes, you should be proud of that...

lobstertom_hitt

I broke my mala ???

Oh. Damn.

• @Kundo said:
    I broke my mala ???

Hardcore puja! Did they catch fire from speed mantraing? ;)

Kundotom_hitt

@lobster said:

@Kundo said:
    I broke my mala ???

Hardcore puja! Did they catch fire from speed mantraing? ;)

Lol I wish. They were my first ones. I think it was age but I’ll take harcore puja ✌?✌?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Kundo said:
    I broke my mala ???

Tibetans say that a mala breaking is an auspicious sign.

tom_hitt

@person said:

@Kundo said:
    I broke my mala ???

Tibetans say that a mala breaking is an auspicious sign.

Better buy that lotto ticket ??

federicapersonlobster
  • tom_hitttom_hitt Fairview PA New

Thanks to @federica for the helpful info on mantra and on the physical action. I have been practicing the chanting- it does add an element of depth to my meditations. It's also inspiring me to continue practicing. BIG thanks to everyone who chimed in. ~T~

• Glad you are inspired @tom_hitt <3

Pass it on, we slackers need all the inspiration available. The Buddhist path works. It is not easy but it is straightforward. Chanting improves well being and right concentrates ... as do smoothies.

My first regular mantra was zhikr or terrorist/islamic mantra. I would chant Cod is Greater. Which means Allah is greater than his non-existence. Buddha save us all ...
    Buddhism starts from the head and mantra vibrates the knuckle headed. ? Ideal for lobsters as it makes the shell vibrate and we moult ...