Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Science of The Four Noble Truths

@Kerome posted this in another thread. I believe it deserves its own thread:

An interesting discussion on the 4NT and neurophysiology
https://knife.media/brain-in-nirvana/

Are Buddhist practices verified by science. Yes, so it would seem ...
What is your understanding?

Comments

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran
    edited February 2019

what we want is not to get rid of desires but to be independent of them in making decisions

This was well put. I’ve often heard this goal of Buddhism criticised by people who say they like life’s ups and downs, or who think life would lack “juice” without any desires.

I don’t know how to comment on your question, though, @lobster. As far as I’m aware, yes, much of Buddhist psychology and practice is supported by science. I can’t quote anything particular to support this, but it seems to be widely acknowledged.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    Are Buddhist practices verified by science. Yes, so it would seem ...
    What is your understanding?

My non scientific answer is - yes I believe very strongly they are verified by science. I always accepted it intellectually until I was diagnosed with my neurological disease. Acquiring a better understanding of how the brain works (due to all the tests I've had and me asking a slew or questions each time), and then applying Buddhist techniques to help with pain management, memory strengthening and breathing and meditation techniques for controlling my BP and anger management, I now can "see" it in action.

Migraines are a typical symptom of my disease and at the peak of my symptoms (I had a migraine for 9 weeks straight), I was addicted to codeine and had to go cold turkey. I had withdrawal symptoms and suffered greatly. Upon learning why I had the migraines, I used mindfulness techniques to deal with the pain and found it extremely helpful while detoxing from codeine.

I really can't explain it any better than that. I guess it's because my entire belief is based on experiential situations.

_ /\ _

lobsterShoshin
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2019

Seems to be an idea finding popularity with some in the scientific field such as Sam Harris and Robert Wright.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Well from what I gather...it is a form of investigation/research/testing... "Ehipassiko" Science ( and a big dose of common sense) can verify certain aspects of it...

But there are also things (hmm the intricate workings of the mind comes to mind ) that modern science can not verify...

However this is left for the individual 'inner' scientist to explore

...and the finding can only really be understood by the inner scientists themselves...like an in-house joke...which can leave those not in on the joke, out in the cold... so to speak :)

Kundo
  • But there are also things (hmm the intricate workings of the mind comes to mind ) that modern science can not verify...

These subtleties are parts of not just the brain but part of the mind/body/experience complex. The present measuring is crude but already valuable data is emerging.
    For example the 'ice man' who uses a developing tummo meditation technique to control the immune system.

person
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Buddhist truths are verified by our own observation, and once we begin to see them, then that starts to change our perspective.

personlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2019

We do @FoibleFull

Ideally we develop multi-dimensional appreciation that unravels our karmic certainties. Imagine that, we are right and wrong because we attach to paths trod by former shells. In Truth, no opposing views ...

I likes to moult ... ;)