Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Worry and mindfulness

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It seems to me that when you worry about something, you are generally engaging a darker emotion. When you are worrying, you are not feeling blissful. Instead you are feeling distracted, negative, not engaged in mindfulness. Hidden behind worry are usually other feelings, like a worry about money, which in turn may be signalling an attachment to security or an attachment to a worldly commitments.

So when you find a worry, that is an opportunity to come face-to-face with your deep attachments, and to acknowledge the things that you are still clinging to. If you respond by pushing the worry away, you are not making full use of the opportunity, instead it is better to tease it out, to gradually apply insight and see what is hidden.

adamcrossleyFoibleFulllobster

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2019

If you have a problem, and it has a solution, there's no point worrying about it.
    If you have a problem, and it has no solution, there's no use worrying about it.

I have learnt to live by this adage.

personQuidditch
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

There is an abundance of things to worry about ...if one put's one's mind to it....

"I'm worried.... and I ought not be worried...But because I'm worried, I'm now worried because I'm worried!"

~The Worrywarts mind trap~

If one starts to think about ( attach to ) the worry thought patterns, one is in a sense giving them a stage on which to act out....

However if awareness can be trained/focused to become the non-judgmental observer, worry thought patterns will gradually fade away...(the stage collapses)...

After all, for the most part, they are just thoughts about what could happen (possibilities) and not what will actually happen...

To worry is to pay interest on trouble that may never come
    (and to worry about worrying is to pay a very high interest)

lobsterperson
  • If you respond by pushing the worry away, you are not making full use of the opportunity, instead it is better to tease it out, to gradually apply insight and see what is hidden.

People operate differently and may need a dharmic tool dependent on their needs. So for example many overly anxious or fearful individuals benefit from focus/right concentration to learn calm and attentive awareness. They may be overpowered by teasing out.

It may be that such a level of fear is body based and grounding in walking meditation or prostrations is helpful.

Both @federica and @Shoshin are advocating not empowering unhelpful/unskilful worrying.

A practical example would be my fear/worry ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”
    The Phantom Menace (Master Yoda)

However I feel your ability to detach and apply insight is in place. It is practice and insight that develops discernment and detachment from our overwhelming detrimental dukkha based emotive states.

ShoshinJeroen