Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, they also use landmarks, and memorise paths according to ground features. Bloody clever little things they iz.....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The wasps with predominately yellow faces are the Gigolos :) .... ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

They’re quite scary... but then I’ve had a thing for wasps ever since a classmate of mine trod in a wasps nest underground while we were walking in the woods and we had to run to avoid the swarm. He got severely stung.

A friend of mine once fell on an underground wasp nest...He was called out to a property by the owner who wanted the nest destroyed, he went with the owner to see where the nest was located, before going back to get his protective clothing he was wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt...When leaning out over the embankment to take a look, he slipped and fell down the embankment and directly onto the nest...

• I am Official Crustacean and Publicity Officer for Puppy Linux
    http://puppylinux.com/index.html

New version 'BionicPup' and a video available

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1004969#1004969

Is it suitable for Buddhists?
    Yes.
    http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BuddhistYAP

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I just wanted to highly recommend Ricky Gervais' new show on Netflix, After Life. It was just 6, 30 minutes episodes, so not a big time investment. It was at turns very funny, assuming you think Ricky's non PC style humor is funny, very human and touching. It's about the story of someone dealing poorly with the grief of his wife and him finding his way through to a better place.

ShoshinVastmind

I like his warped sense of humour :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2019
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@person said:
    I just wanted to highly recommend Ricky Gervais' new show on Netflix, After Life. It was just 6, 30 minutes episodes, so not a big time investment. It was at turns very funny, assuming you think Ricky's non PC style humor is funny, very human and touching. It's about the story of someone dealing poorly with the grief of his wife and him finding his way through to a better place.

I think he peaked with The Office and Extras.

All downhill since.

Including the new series you’ve mentioned above.

Same characters, same jokes.

Yes Ricky, we know your an Athiest (yawn...)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thank goodness he isn't also a vegan...

lobsterVastmind
    edited March 2019

Fact:

Humans are born with only 2 inherent, ready-made fears: Falling, and loud noises.
    Everything else - EVERYTHING else - we are conditioned or influenced to learn and develop.

Feather floating across the sky....

BunksKundo

Merry Equinox everyone!!

lobsterShoshin

It's Mothering Sunday in the UK today! The clocks have also moved ahead an hour, effectively depriving us of a lovely lie-in... there's always a way of clawing back privileges...

edited March 2019

We've been burgled.
    It's hard to evoke Loving Compassion with Wisdom, when there are people who blatantly and deliberately steal your stuff, bought with honestly, hard-earned money.
    It's not even as if I can think "I hope they need the items more than I did" because trust me, they don't.

Sigh.

Happy Mothering Sunday.

• @federica said:
    We've been burgled.

:(
    Violation! Not nice!

Happy Mothering Sunday.

We had a wonderful time.

<3

@federica I hope you threw the toothbrushes away ....

@Shoshin said:
    @federica I hope you threw the toothbrushes away ....

Nope, it was in our garage. They stole several items, to the probable value of £350.
    The neighbour opposite, who is a self-employed Builder with employees, had his works van broken into and every single tool he had, was also stolen.

It's very difficult to find anything kind to say about the thieves;

They're suffering. Hurt people, hurt people.

Nope.
    Doesn't help at the moment.

lobster
    edited March 2019

Yes it's an horrible feeling having one's personal/private space violated by a stranger....and it's the feelings that need to be look at in times like this..

I have found that by sitting with the feelings, watching them rise and depart can help calm the mind...

Here are some Pema Chödrön quotes you might find helpful...

What Dharma practices have helped you in the past when similar things have happened ?

Mala recitation, taking Refuge, focusing on impermanence...
    Something I wrote on my Facebook timeline...

"Ah well, it's a lesson learnt: Take nothing for granted, use the locks provided, trust nobody you don't know well, and it's only 'things'.

It takes a day or two to let something like this slide, and a while longer to get over the indignation and resentment.

But: I have something they don't have. I have the genuine love of absolutely real and wonderful friends and family, and I know they are kind, generous and supportive. These low-lives probably have none of that; there's no honour among thieves, and one day, they'll push their luck and go to far. And their supposed loved ones won't be there for them.

Love? They don't know the meaning of the word.
    Whereas, I do.
    And that? They can't take."

It's only 'things'.
    I have read a news account (if I'm honest, more than one,) about someone being robbed and viciously beaten up in the process. Tortured, even. So perhaps we have been lucky that this incident was in all likelihood opportunistic and a 'spur of the moment' impulse on the part of some idiotic petty criminal who wouldn't know kindness, compassion and empathy if they stuck him squarely on the nose with a demolition ball. And we weren't home.

This too shall pass.

ShoshinlobsterVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2019

Bravo @federica <3

Sending you metta <3

Doesn't help at the moment.

Of course.

federica

What can happen after a break in, is that your place is broken into again after a few months...after the insurance has paid out and you have bought 'new' replacements of items stolen...

Well, rather than go through the agonising minutiae of trying our hardest to convince an Insurance Company that they really should part with our money, we are thinking of investing in a Camera and light system that functions in close connection to our mobile phones and sends an alert when someone enters the boundaries of the property... Very clever stuff; It comes highly recommended by my Boss who also suffered a break-in, in the latter part of last year, and put this system in. Apparently, it's already functioned extremely efficiently... He hasn't had any further problems regarding potential ne'er-do-wells, but it has on 4 separate occasions, alerted him to unexpected and unsolicited callers...

lobster
    edited April 2019

Sometimes something as simple as a sign can help prevent burglaries

...or better still

lobsterKundo
  • Take back control @federica <3
    Good plan about smart camera.

Being a total geek, I will be building my own ...
    https://medium.com/@Cvrsor/how-to-make-a-diy-home-alarm-system-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-a-webcam-2d5a2d61da3d

Ready made solutions for the non geeks also excellent.

I’ve just been reminded that one shouldn’t pick ones nose after chopping chillies! ??

JeroenShoshinlobster
  • Tee hee @Bunks

... or wipe ones eyes ... and if real chilli fiends are stir frying, you can not even enter the kitchen without a protective mask.

Well I'm off to Wellington for the weekend to visit my daughter and her partner (I'm waiting to board the flight )..I haven't been to Wellington for over 20 years..So I guess things will have changed.. It's called the windy city...

@Shoshin said:
    Well I'm off to Wellington for the weekend to visit my daughter and her partner (I'm waiting to board the flight )..I haven't been to Wellington for over 20 years..So I guess things will have changed.. It's called the windy city...

Enjoy @shoshin! Are you ok with flying? I used to be a nervous flyer and going in and out of Wellington was not a pleasant experience!

Shoshin

@Bunks said: I’ve just been reminded that one shouldn’t pick ones nose after chopping chillies! ??

There is also the small, yet literally delicate matter of needing a wee..... For those afflicted or the afflicted-yet-to-come, honey is an almost instant antidote and relief...

@Shoshin, Americans have their own 'Windy City' (I believe it's Chicago....)
    And the entire UK appears to be one, currently...
    Hope you don't need wellies in Wellington.... Have a good time... :)

BunksShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:

@Bunks said: I’ve just been reminded that one shouldn’t pick ones nose after chopping chillies! ??

There is also the small, yet literally delicate matter of needing a wee..... For those afflicted or the afflicted-yet-to-come, honey is an almost instant antidote and relief...

So you are saying in this case we should go and smear honey all over our delicate parts? I don’t know, it doesn’t hold much appeal...

Bunks

@Kerome said:

@federica said:

So you are saying in this case we should go and smear honey all over our delicate parts? I don’t know, it doesn’t hold much appeal...

I'll tell you what; you buy a scotch Bonnet chilli, cut it up, touch your delicate parts, then tell me honey holds no appeal...
    Trust me, if it happens, you'd do anything to relieve the problem.

It's far more effective than water. In fact, water can make it much worse.

We hit a bit of turbulence just before landing, but wasn't too bad ...But on arrival. waiting for the bus into the city, the wind was chillingly cold..When I left the island it was 21C ... Arriving in Wellington was like stepping into Winter...

Bunks
  • wind was chillingly cold

Rub yourself down with a Scotch Bonnet.

... must learn tummo ... might be more realistic. Stay warm.

federica
  • Imagine if you used a search engine ... and they used profits to plant trees. [lobster faints]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosia

If we can get a Buddha under each tree we have solved EVERYTHING! B) ??

Jeroen

@lobster said:
    Imagine if you used a search engine ... and they used profits to plant trees. [lobster faints]

I wanted to get it as my default search engine on my iPad but no luck, you have to install it as an app, and switch to it each time you want to make a search :cry:

edited April 2019

@Kerome said:

@lobster said:
    Imagine if you used a search engine ... and they used profits to plant trees. [lobster faints]

I wanted to get it as my default search engine on my iPad but no luck, you have to install it as an app, and switch to it each time you want to make a search :cry:

Yes, currently they're set for easier use mainly on computers and/laptops.
    You could contact them to enquire about technical developments....

ETA: If you google Ecosia (ha ha) there is a selection of options, including one for mobile phones....
    As said, there's no harm in contacting them and asking.

• Just bookmark the URL
    https://www.ecosia.org/
    and go to it when you search . . .

I have told the developers that their Ipad app just crashes. I would think, that is how can I put this politely ... apple is sometimes a bad seed ...

JeroenKundo

Caught the bus to the airport around 5pm ish, flight back to Auckland was meant to leave at 6.15 but was delayed, it left at 6.50 and arrived back in Auckland at 8pm ..Caught the airport bus to downtown ferry terminal, missed the 8.45 ferry, by just a few minutes ...so had to wait one and half hours for the next ferry ( the last ferry) back to the. Island 10.15 (so meditated )... I'm on the ferry now. It's been a long day, but worth it...It was great catching up with my daughter and her boyfriend ☺️

federicalobster
  • Bought a raspberry pi kit (well two actually one as a gift) Plugged into an HDMI TV I now have a virtual ever changing shrine/computer.

Just downloaded some images and used the screenshow option in viewer. Yep you can use your phone, tablet, chromebook, computer as a shrine. Of course you can . . .

I iz Geek Buddhist

Kundo
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

The bears have awakened from sleep, and here is one of them, destroying our bird feeders. Charming little fellow, he left when asked politely to do so. Bad photos, it was almost dark out when I took them.

Shoshinlobster

Hooligan....

lobster
    edited April 2019

Well the sun is shinning and the weather is sweet (I got winter out of the way with my trip to windy cold and wet Wellington on the weekend...finger's crossed ;) )...So this morning I went to the beach...The water was slightly chilled, but nice and refreshing... :)

@Fosdick are bears protected in your state ?

@Shoshin - I'm not really conversant with the game laws, but I know black bear hunting is regulated with seasons and bag limits, etc. Not protection exactly, but you can't just go out and shoot one because you feel bloodthirsty and mean that day.

There's a bit of a problem here with people leaving their garbage out where the bears can get at it, and quite a lot of black bears roaming around looking for an easy meal. The dogs are greatly offended when they spot one -they seem to believe that the garbage all belongs to them. ;)

I was going to say that maybe leaving 'food parcels' out for them might help keep them at bay, but then I further considered harming the balance of their ecology and altering their behaviour, but then I thought again, and pondered that their bravado and hooliganism is a sign that that has already happened....

The damage is already done.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2019

How wonderful @Fosdick

<3

The most we get are squirrels on our bird feeder. Obviously you have better food ... I feel technically the bear is not a bird but hey ... I am not gonna tell her ... great photos. Thanks for sharing. What a treat. Give them a hug from me ... B)

The black bears don't really need any encouragement to be pests - like mice or raccoons or cockroaches, it seems to be a lifestyle of choice for them. No problem for me, glad to have them, but I would be happy to trade a couple of bears for some of your birds and insects - and especially some reptiles if you've got 'em.

edited April 2019

@Fosdick said:
    The black bears don't really need any encouragement to be pests -

I just couldn't resist ;)

Fosdick