Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Long article on compassion

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I wanted to share this with you, its a little long but a good read. I learnt a few things from it, not least that deep compassion is not such an easy thing to achieve.

I think for me the thing I will work on first is not to subject myself in thought or imagination to harshness or acts that I would not choose to inflict on another. Self compassion is an important part of the whole, and we should take care to be as kind to ourselves as we are to others.

https://www.lionsroar.com/she-who-hears-the-cries-of-the-world/

lobsterShoshinyoda_sodapersonJaySon

Comments

• Sumedha reflects on the vast inner journey required to discover unshakeable wisdom and compassion. He describes compassion as a tapestry woven of many threads: generosity, virtue, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, determination, loving-kindness, and equanimity.

In each thread, we weave, we empower and resonate ...
    Thanks for sharing @Kerome

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

From what I gather true Compassion comes from within, so one must be also feeling the same compassion that one generates for others, otherwise how can it be compassion if one is not compassion itself ...I guess this is where the other half/wing, Wisdom the great distributor comes in...

Form is Emptiness....Emptiness is Form

• yoda_sodayoda_soda Dagobah Explorer

Nice once @Kerome.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    Sumedha reflects on the vast inner journey required to discover unshakeable wisdom and compassion. He describes compassion as a tapestry woven of many threads: generosity, virtue, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, determination, loving-kindness, and equanimity.

Yes this part stood out to me as well... it is not so easy to realise great compassion, you need to gather many different qualities and work to preserve things we are born with.

I have been spending some time reflecting on babyhood, the early childhood qualities that we come into this world with after nine months in the womb. There is a great acceptance and lovingness in babyhood, and also a great sleepiness. It is quite beautiful.

• Dear Friends,

When atrocities happen, such as the terror attack in Christchurch, who do we have no compassion for? How do we draw on equanimity?
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/807/directing-compassion-to-enemies

person
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have compassion for the perpetrator. But I believe the full weight of the law should fall upon his shoulders. I don't know whether he is beyond help, and RIGHT NOW, I'm not sure he even deserves an offer of psychological help. It's too soon.
    But it's incredibly sad that a human mind can be so warped and twisted, as to be capable of even thinking of such a deed, let alone actually carrying it out. I can't even begin to fathom having a mind-set of that type....

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@lobster said:
    Dear Friends,

When atrocities happen, such as the terror attack in Christchurch, who do we have no compassion for? How do we draw on equanimity?
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/807/directing-compassion-to-enemies

I think its important that we understand how compassion for the attacker, or others like him, expresses itself. I don't know exactly what that is, but I believe it would be substantially different than we would treat the victims of his attack and needs to include the larger social ramifications of punishment towards crimes. Including proportionality, restitution and rehabilitation.

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Really thorough article. Not only does a great job in describing what compassion is, but also what it is not and how to cultivate it while maintaining balance and avoiding pitfalls.

• It's too soon.

Understood.

Just as some in ignorance move towards extreme hate, we move to the extreme Middle Way. Compassion for the ignorant, the hell releasers, the hat fool, hateful and Lord Yama herself. Compassion like a lotus is an unfolding. Sufficient light, faster opening ...