Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

bury a friend

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited April 2019 in General Banter

Hi

Where I live, which is a small local community, where everyone (almost) knows everyone. There are 5000 people in the small town, and 40,000 on the island. There have been several suicides in recent years. I hear about almost 1 suicide every month. Last time, there was a 17-year-old boy hanging in a barn because of his girlfriend didnt want to be with him anymore.
Not long before it was a young girl who hang herself in the stairs, she was 16 years old. It was her Little sister who found her dead. And not long before that again, one young boy who jumped from a bridge, also he was very young 18 years.
What are the reasons, there can be so many...
Check the music that the teachers put on when there was a disco for the 11 year olds at the school, they danced to "bury a friend", which is a very "popular " song.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

This is very sad, @Namada. To see so many suicides by young people who should have their entire lives ahead of them is hard to explain... I wonder if they know of the Buddhist saying that having a human life is precious.

I’m not a fan of the Billie Eilish song. I came across it on MTV last night and switched it off, certainly I wouldn’t think it’s appropriate for a community where there is a problem with suicides. It might be better to give group therapy to cope with grieving and these difficult thoughts.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

What an awful song.
    The scale of suicide among the young, is terrifying, made all the more gruesome and macabre by the wanton publication of such issues via media and social forums. The dark gloom of suicide is becoming a trend. One could say it's even being made trendY by the sheer accessibility people have to sources of information, and the opportunity to be infamous.

Awful.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

Do you mind if I ask where you live, @Namada? This wouldn't be near, or among, Native/First Nations peoples, would it? Tragically, suicide is common in the more isolated communities. I'm wondering if these young people, like the one whose girlfriend broke up with him, have any resources to turn to: a school counselor, parents for heaven's sake, social workers or any kind of coaches or other adults involved in youth activities; anyone to confide in about how to process the inner pain they're dealing with.

More community involvement with youth, and parental involvement starting at a young age, is all I can think of, as a potential remedy. So sad.