Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes - 'Try before you Die!'

Comments

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Can you par-boil beetroot? Might cut down on roasting time.

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@rohit said:
    Is egg vegeterian food?

A person who uses the label vegetarian and eats eggs and or drinks milk or eats cheese, is called an ovo lacto vegetarian ...I fit into this camp, however if I buy eggs I buy "free range" also the cheese I buy does not contain animal rennet

rohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

1 pack of thin vermicelli rice noodles.
    1 large shallot
    1 clove of garlic
    1/2" ginger, peeled, grated
    1 peeled and julienned carrot
    2oz green cabbage, very finely sliced or shredded
    1/4 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
    2 tbsps soy sauce
    juice of 1/2 lime
    around 25 peeled cooked prawns (optional, if you want to keep it exclusively vegetarian)

METHOD:
    Soak the noodles in cold water, for 5 minutes, until soft.
    Drain well.
    prepare a heavy-based pan: add enough oil to shallow fry:
    take enough noodles to form a small nest (around a mouthful) and gently lay in the pan.
    Fry for around 5 minutes on a medium heat, until the base is firm and crispy. Do not flip them over, but remove, lay on a plate, on a paper napkin. This will make you around 20 small mouthful-nests.....

Remove any excess oil from the pan, then begin to fry the onions, garlic and ginger.
    cook, stirring, until softened.
    Add the julienned carrot. Continue frying until this has softened.
    Add the cabbage.
    Stir. (At this point, if so desired, a few chilli flakes wouldn't hurt....)
    add stock, soy sauce and lime juice.
    Continue cooking and stirring until everything is softened and cooked, and the liquid has been absorbed/evaporated.
    Top each nest with a little of the mixture, and garnish with a peeled prawn, or small flat squares of firm tofu, which you have fried in the following way:

Cut the tofu into flat slabs, around 1/2cm thick.
    Coat each slab with seasoned cornflour (maize flour). I season it with garlic salt and a little pinch of chilli powder.

fry on all sides in some vegetable/sesame oil, until golden.
    Allow to cool.
    Cut each slab in pieces (size as desired).

The tofu can also be served with a sweet chilli sauce, mixed with a little soy sauce and plum sauce. Plain rice is good with it, too.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That sounds like so much work! How often do you make this recipe, @Federica? Or is it one you just found? In any event, I'd like to come live with you...you can pat me on the head like Benny Hill pats that old geezer any time, heheh. (With all your culinary skills, am surprised you haven't ended up on some cooking competition show.)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It sounds like a lot of work, but if you share the prep with someone else, it's half the fun! It doesn't really take all that long, even on your own.....
    And yes, I found the recipe - but I would venture to suggest that most recipes are discovered, copied, found, changed, altered, amended, adapted.... there is nothing new under the sun!

There's one thing I hate, though, and that's so-called 'fusion cooking'. I can't abide this un-endearing habit of, for example, taking a centuries-old traditional Japanese dish, and adding a French or American twist.... Jeesh!! Leave it alone, it's stood perfectly, deliciously, on its own merit for hundreds of years, why interfere by adding sweetcorn, avocado or beef stock gravy?? Yech!!

Nele
  • jakayobjakayob United States New

Banana & Peanut Butter Smoothie (Vegan):

Supplies needed-
    *frozen banana slices
    *peanut butter
    *almond milk
    *blender
    *cup

Step 1) Add banana slices, peanut butter, and almond milk to a blender.
    Step 2) Blend ingredients.
    Step 3) Pour blended contents into a cup.
    Step 4) ENJOY!!! :pleased:

P.S., look for non-GMO and organic ingredients. ;)

karastiSteve_B
    edited July 2016

Oh good grief, not this anti-GMO crap again...

Inform yourselves...

Please.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

The problem with some GMOs, as I see it, is not particularly their speculative effects on human health, but on the fact that some of them are modified to resist heavy exposure to herbicides and pesticides, enabling those who grow them to drench their fields with this crap and kill every living thing but the crop itself. If one is going to eat GMOs, I think it only prudent to know what GMO one is consuming - what has it been modified to do, exactly? Manufacturers are not very forthcoming on this point, and until they are perhaps it would be better to avoid GMOs altogether. :p

silverSteve_B

I don't think you CAN avoid 'GMOs altogether' because everything you eat has already been genetically modified, in one way or another.

Fosdick
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nuffink like a bit of extra firm tofu wiv yer jellied eel. :p

federica

@Fosdick said:
    The problem with some GMOs, as I see it, is not particularly their speculative effects on human health, but on the fact that some of them are modified to resist heavy exposure to herbicides and pesticides, enabling those who grow them to drench their fields with this crap and kill every living thing but the crop itself. If one is going to eat GMOs, I think it only prudent to know what GMO one is consuming - what has it been modified to do, exactly? Manufacturers are not very forthcoming on this point, and until they are perhaps it would be better to avoid GMOs altogether. :p

Found this today, by the way. And these findings are not purely American. The study's findings are from this year.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@federica from the other thread, do you bake your chickpeas in the acorn squash or add them later? Apologies, cooking is not my best subject :lol: I enjoy it, but coming up with stuff on my own, well, it just doesn't happen. Pinterest to the rescue. I just bought an acorn squash the other day and I'd love to do something other than just bake it with maple syrup. Open to other recipes, too :) Love fall harvest season (even if I hate that it leads to winter very soon here).

I normally cook a good portion of chickpeas, after soaking 24hrs (cooked as you do, in a pressure cooker) then freeze them in 500g/1lb bags. So when I add them to the butternut squash soup, they're already cooked; I mash half of them to the desired consistency, and leave the remainder whole... adding them to the soup adds texture and just more goodness....
    I also add a dollop of organic cream and a little grated nutmeg when serving...

karastisilver

Alright, vegan friends, I need breakfast ideas. I do not normally eat meat for breakfast (in fact, I often don't eat breakfast at all) but I am doing a 30 day program with some friends in a yoga group that includes a vegan diet. I usually have eggs (from our neighbor) and toast, or yogurt. I can make coconut milk yogurt but that is going to take some experimenting most likely. What do vegans eat for breakfast??

Here are the guidelines from the program:
    For the 30 days, we will eliminate all processed foods, meats, refined sugars, dairy and alcohol, and greatly reduce your consumption of wheat, gluten and caffeine. (So eating toast every day is also out, apparently, lol)

• ^^. Porridge made with banana and raisins perhaps?

porridge contains gluten, but is high in protein....

The gluten and wheat is a reduction not elimination, and since I don't eat breakfast every day, I can probably make it work! and probably a lot of fruit, lol.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited December 2016

Smoothies!
    Fruit, tofu, Silk.
    Plus whatever else is languishing in the back of the fridge that you need to get rid of, e.g. wilted salad, etc.
    But perhaps those high-minded vegans consider tofu and Silk to be "processed" foods? You could probably substitute overripe bananas and get the same texture. I toss bananas that have achieved that magical state of near-blackness into the freezer to be used in next week's smoothies.

federicakarasti

The stuff languishing at the back of my fridge probably came of the ark.... it's matured nicely, that bit of Goat's cheese.....

Indeed, I do love smoothies. Having one for lunch right now, spinach, strawberry, half a frozen banana and some chia seeds.
    Yeah, our fridge right now is frightening. Anything I find in there is likely to be from like 6 months ago. Because veggies cost so much here in the winter, I am usually pretty good about using those. It's leftovers that are the problem.

edited February 2017

Am currently brewing my own Apple Cider Vinegar and growing my own scoby - hopefully - to then brew kombucha.... Will keep you all posted as I'm sure I have you all on the edge of your seats already.... ;)

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Gazpacho

4 cups tomato juice
    1 onion, minced
    1 green bell pepper, minced
    1 cucumber, chopped
    2 cups chopped tomatoes
    2 green onions, chopped
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon white sugar

In a blender or food processor, combine tomato juice, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, tarragon, basil, parsley, sugar, salt, and pepper. Blend until well-combined but still slightly chunky. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

ownerof1000oddsockssilver
  • Root vegetable salad:

-Grate 1x Beetroot 1x Carrot in Mixing bowl.
    -Squeeze 1 x orange into bowl. (add juicy bits)
    -Toast some walnuts in pan then crush and add to bowl.

-Season with pepper.

Experiment with parsley and toasted cumin seeds if you fancy a change.

I am currently experiencing a particularly nasty bout of cystitis - accompanied with - oh, such joy! - a spiteful dose of migraine, which, I am advised, may have both been coupled together by hormonal changes (one of the joys of being a Senior Crone) and have been advised to avoid: potatoes, tomatoes, beetroots, fruit juices and coffee. All of which, it seems, only serve to make the cystitis worse. So, with gratitude, dear @ownerof1000oddsocks , I shall have to forego the distinct pleasure of trying both your gazpacho and salad, until such a time as my body is not victim to the whims and humour of feminine biology.

• edited February 2017

Aubergine surprise: (A nice surprise with a topping of fresh thyme and a quality honey. A not so nice surprise if using dried thyme and agave nectar.)

-Stripe the Aubergine and cut into grill-able slices.
    -Brush slices with oil and season with salt and pepper.
    -Grill slices on both sides until slightly brown.
    -Add to plate then drizzle on honey, a splash of fresh lemon & some fresh thyme.
    -Also good with little bits of the sweetest chilli.

@federica Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks, @ownerof1000oddsocks , feeling much better. Had to have a short course of powerful antibiotics which, I can tell you, I am NOT fond of taking, but which have proved fairly effective. Drinking plenty, and eating the right things, and keeping off the triggers for now.
    Naturally want to make sure the whole think is well and truly kicked out of touch, but absolutley love aubergines, so am really looking forward to trying your recipes.... honey, eh...? Hmmm... ok, I'll try anything once!

I > @federica said:

Am currently brewing my own Apple Cider Vinegar and growing my own scoby - hopefully - to then brew kombucha.... Will keep you all posted as I'm sure I have you all on the edge of your seats already.... ;)

Both of the above are progressing amazingly - my Kombucha scobys are developing well, and the ACV is bubbling healthily. As soon as all the apple pieces have sunk (apples float, as anyone who's ever 'bobbed' for them will know!) it will be time to strain them out and begin fermentation proper....

I also made my own home-made fresh yoghurt. It tastes incredible. God, so much stuff I am never going to have to buy again!! Oh, and lactofermented onions - let's not forget those!!

• Here is something I discovered when I was entertained by a friend in Bridgend (WALES) recently - its news topical in UK as Trump has caused Ford to stop production in England in favour of US production, and Wales voted out of Europe - and will lose EU subsidies!!!

Maybe cabbage will be the new potato!

Gingered cabbage! It goes great as an accompaniment veg - I was served a nice portion of baked sea bass with it!

¼ savoy cabbage - thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves - minced
    1 inch ginger - minced
    ½ shallot - finely chopped
    2tbs vege stock

fry all ingredients for about 3-5 minutes in a frying pan, until cabbage starts to wilt (but not go soft - then serve alongside your main course, even if you are not a vegetarian...

Kombucha is one thing I really want to try. It's so expensive to buy. It's almost $5 for a single serve bottle here. But I've seen a lot of warnings about getting sick from it so I'm a big afraid to try! I also take ACV most days but haven't looked into making my own (again, I should, a bottle of it is $8-10 here).

I have been making my own yogurt for more than a year now. My instant pot does all the work for me, so I make a gallon at a time. I prefer greek yogurt so I strain it and out of the cost of a gallon of milk I get about 12-14 cups of yogurt. Organic yogurt is $3 per 8 ounce container here, so it saves me a ton of money, and a ton of garbage. Our area doesnt' recycle the type of plastic yogurt cups are made of, so they have to go in the trash. No more! It beats store bought by a mile.

I wish I had the money and land to do it all. I would love to raise bees, for example. I eat a lot of honey, and I buy local but again, expensive! Worth it though. I'd love to have a small hobby farm and make a little money by taking things to the farmers market. Eggs, honey, etc. I somehow keep failing to win the lottery though!

Kombucha - everything in moderation. I think anything over-done is going to have some possible negative side-effects. Organic 'live' Kombucha is much better for you than the commercial, pasteurised variety. And you can use organic 'live' Kombucha to grow your own scobys so the expense is initial, but thereafter minimal.... As with virtually anything home-made, really....

The potency of Kombucha also varies according to how long you brew, or ferment it for....The fizzier it is, the less you need...

karasti
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

From an article about swapping out healthier things for other stuff we normally eat - e.g. lentils for potatoes:

The upgrade: "I would take this in an Indian mash direction," says Lee Gross, formerly Gwyneth Paltrow's personal chef and now the executive chef at Los Angeles's macrobiotic M. Café de Chaya. "Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan. Throw in 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 2 bay leaves, half a cinnamon stick, and 1/4 tsp. black mustard seeds. Fry the spices until they begin to pop. Add 3 Tbsp. minced ginger and a few cloves of minced garlic, along with 1 tsp. curry powder, then fry for 1 minute. Add 1 cup rinsed and dried red lentils. Then add 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the lentils dissolve. You may substitute an Ethiopian berber spice blend of coriander, onion, chilis, ginger, and paprika." Refrigerate leftovers and eat it as a dip the next day.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I like to cook hearty foods, I don't mind salady things as a part of a meal but not generally as the bulk of my diet.

I'm cooking just for myself so I cook intending to have left overs for the week.

Here are a few of the vegetarian meals I make regularly

Had this this past week, I usually add 1/4 cup of dry roasted peanuts to it too.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/african-peanut-stew/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=recipes20150302-1&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRokuKzPZKXonjHpfsX76egsUKezhIkz2EFye+LIHETpodcMTsBgN6+TFAwTG5toziV8R7DBLM153N8QXRTg

I add a couple cloves of garlic to this
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249179/chilaquiles-casserole/

And since corn tortillas usually come in larger packages than can be used up in one dish I cook this one too
    http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/stacked-sweet-potato-and-black-bean-enchiladas/

One of the first vegetarian recipes I learned to cook, definitely needs salt though.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249817/skillet-gnocchi-with-chard-white-beans/

Can be made with black beans instead of chick peas if you prefer
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25318/southwestern-vegetarian-pasta/?evt19=1

Sometimes I'll cook this with sweet potatoes instead of regular
    http://www.everyday-vegetarian-recipes.com/vegetable-tagine.html

Even though you can find squash most of the year around, this seems to be a once a year dish for the fall.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cashew-coconut-pumpkin-curry

This is a really good cold meal
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Peanut-Sesame-Noodles-106572

Simple Indian dish, I add peas and double the spices.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/212882/aloo-gobi-masala-cauliflower-and-potato-curry/

Another long time favorite chili recipe
    https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/moosewood-vegetarian-chili-20786

edited March 2017

Stuffed Romano peppers with Cauliflower rice.

1 Romano pepper/person (If Romano peppers are unavailable, ordinary red bell peppers will do).
    half red onion, finely chopped
    250g of quorn mince (or a lean turkey breast, if you prefer to add real meat)
    4 chestnut mushrooms
    150g haloumi cheese
    3 tbsps roasted whole barley, soaked in a cup of boiling water until 'al dente'. (optional, but recommended)
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    Inner fresh, young leaves of cauliflower (those closest to the head are pale, tender and interesting)
    4tbsps philadelphia cream cheese
    75g stilton blue cheese
    2 tbsps freshly-grated parmesan cheese.
    200g of raw cauliflower florets.

Separately pulse the mushrooms and haloumi cheese in a food processor until finely chopped but definitely not to a pulp. A bit of consistency is what is needed.
    If you use turkey breast, cut it into pieces and do the same with this.

Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion. cook until soft and translucent.
    Add turkey and mushroom at this point, or first add mushrooms, then after a minute, the quorn.
    Brown and soften.
    Add the chopped haloumi, Continue cooking until the whole mix is nicely browned but not overdone. Add tomato puree and drained whole barley. Stir to incorporate completely.
    Allow the mix to cool.

In the meantime, cut the Romano peppers in half, lengthways. (Try to find Romano peppers which are not too thin and long, or you won't be able to stuff them properly.Buy some 'puffy' ones....) Remove the seeds but leave the stem end intact.
    Place into a shallow dish and pour boiling water over them. As soon as they begin to soften slightly, and start to be less crisp, drain and rinse under cold water. You need them slightly softened, but not limp.
    Lay them in a baking dish and fill with the mixture.

Take the philly cheese and mix it well, with the Stilton; crush with a fork and combine as well as possible.
    Put the mix into the microwave and blitz for 45 seconds or so, until very softened.
    Spoon over the stuffed peppers.

Cover the dish with aluminium foil, and place into the oven, upper middle, for 25 minutes.

In the meantime, blitz the cauliflower florets in the food processor until granular. It should look like tabouleh in texture and size.
    Remove, pour into a shallow baking tray in a thin layer, and drizzle olive oil over. DO. NOT. SALT!! Salt will extract the moisture and it will go all soggy!

Put into the oven half way through the peppers' cooking time. it needs about 10 - 15 minutes maximum, with a stirring half way....

When the peppers are done, remove from the oven, uncover, and sprinkle with the parmesan. Place under a hot grill until browned.

Serve with the cauli 'rice' and enjoy.
    You could add a small amount of chilli to the stuffing mix but to be honest, I think it would clash and compete with the delicious cheese flavouring!

• BodhiTzuBodhiTzu Among the trees and flowers New

One of my favorites. I started with a vegetarian stroganoff recipe and added Indian flavors and Thai curry.

Lentil pasta
    Tofutti (non-dairy sour cream)
    Thai red curry paste
    Margarine
    Mushrooms
    Onion
    Vegetable protein
    Curry seasoning
    Cardamom, tumeric, black pepper.

I don't measure any of my recipes except when baking.

Cook pasta then add Tofutti, Thai red curry paste, curry seasoning, and other spices.

Saute your choice of vegetable protein with mushrooms and onions.

Mix together and enjoy.

Rowan1980
  • I have made a new salsa recipe. Surely you could substitute add or subtract.

2 roma tomatoes sliced in sections and left to sit with a mixture of: sugar, ancho chili powder, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cumin on top of them.

1 avocado separate out some of the brown parts and sliced, squashed

2 limes liberate their lime juice about 100 mL

1 shallot finely chop and add about 1/4 cup to the salsa

1 carrot finely chop. I liked this and might add more next time.

After the tomatoes have set with their seasoning awhile finely chop and add to bowl. Add avocado, shallot, and carrot. Add most of the lime juice to taste. Mix and squash. Add salt or pepper to taste. Eat with corn chips. Looks kind of cloudy and murky but vibrant flavor!

personRowan1980

@Jeffrey said:
    I have made a new salsa recipe. Surely you could substitute add or subtract.

.... After the tomatoes have set with their seasoning awhile finely chop and add to bowl. Add avocado, shallot, and carrot. Add most of the lime juice to taste. Mix and squash. Add salt or pepper to taste. Eat with corn chips. Looks kind of cloudy and murky but vibrant flavor!

Sounds really lush, @Jeffrey - really worth a try! Noted!

Making Ras Malai... So far - so good!

Ras Malai completed!

lobster
  • Ras mali - my fav indian sweet - yum

and now for the best street food in NY ... dosa ...

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

I am a fan of meal prep for the following week, especially because I have been busy lately. I also don’t mind repetition meal-wise because, well, I am on the autistic spectrum, and I find a certain degree of predictability comforting. (I get that it’s not everyone’s thing, which is absolutely okay.)

I have done this specific meal prep plan before, and I am doing it this week so I can just reheat and eat. Everything is vegan, but not gluten-free. They do offer gluten-free suggestions. My rec for the seitan sausages is to add more oil, btw.

https://modestdish.com/2018/01/01/vegan-protein-meal-prep-5-full-days-18/

Shoshinfederica

Nice link @Rowan1980 thanks...full of tantalizing meals without squeals ... :)

Rowan1980

Have just ordered some vital wheat gluten in order to make my own Seitan... Should be interesting!

Rowan1980

@federica said:
    Have just ordered some vital wheat gluten in order to make my own Seitan... Should be interesting!

Seitan is generally very easy to make, and a lot of the time involved is down time while it steams or bakes. :) I use it to make vegan barbecue ribs.

• Hail Seitan! >:)

... oh it is some kind of infernal meat substitute ... never mind B)

... will look out for it. We are having vegan burgers for supper. I am being veganised ... o:)

Rowan1980

@lobster said:
    Hail Seitan! >:)

... oh it is some kind of infernal meat substitute ... never mind B)

... will look out for it. We are having vegan burgers for supper. I am being veganised ... o:)

I buy Mock Duck from my local Holland and Barrett store. I must say it tastes as much like duck as a banana tastes like apple, but it's seitan in disguise... I can do better... also received a pack of nutritional yeast, which according to some recipes is a good added ingredient to Seitan. Shall experiment and report back...

Rowan1980lobster

@federica said:
    I buy Mock Duck from my local Holland and Barrett store. I must say it tastes as much like duck as a banana tastes like apple, but it's seitan in disguise... I can do better... also received a pack of nutritional yeast, which according to some recipes is a good added ingredient to Seitan. Shall experiment and report back...

I sometimes make seitan with nutritional yeast added, and it gives it a nice savory flavor.

• I was in Holland and Barrett yesterday, trying to buy overpriced barleycup to cut back on my caffeine/tea addiction. It has been recalled. Found something similar, barley and chicory drink.

The chilli burgers were delicious incidentally. Finding some very high quality vegan foods in supermarkets. For example a seed mixture containing gogi berries in lidl ...

And now back to the vegan death cult thread ... :p

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Here's a new vegetarian, its vegan and gluten free, dish I tried this week, that I quite like. I doubled the tomatoes, added a cup of frozen green beans and served it with couscous.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/moroccan-vegetable-tagine-recipe/

edited April 2019

Back to basics ...The lunch I have everyday...I'm such a bore :)

Low acid toms
    some carrot
    Red & Green capsicum
    Mushroom
    Non animal/vegetarian rennet cheese
    Almonds
    Lettuce

With a dash of Himalayan rock salt... It's surprisingly tasty ...but I would say that :)

Rowan1980

Making Seitan... phase 1, bubbling away...

1 cup of Wheat gluten
    1/4 cup of gram (chickpea) flour
    1 cup of water...

The dough is weird, to say the least, but it has to be well pummelled and kneaded for about 5 minutes...
    If it begins to break up and fragment, don't add more flour, to bind it...
    Instead, dampen the palms of your hands and keep kneading... it will all hold together.
    While it rests, prepare the cooking stock. ...

3 cups of water, then flavour it well according to whatever flavours you want to add.

Rowan1980