Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dharma of Fraggle Rock

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

I'm subscribed to HBO for the Game of Thrones season and I decided to watch an episode of a show from my youth, Fraggle Rock.

One episode became two, then three...

Anyway, I'm finding so many meaningful lessons that I still need to fully take to heart in my Buddhist practice. The possibility of unintended consequences by thinking we fully understand a situation, the importance of being yourself rather than imitating others, working together, etc.

Kids shows are meant to teach children lessons about life and at age 45 I still need to learn them. ?

lobsterVastmindBunksShoshinRowan1980ajhayesDavid

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Omg blast from the past!!!

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The real wisdom we save for the noobs and children. <3

Adults and advanced practitioners ... complicated ... :heartbreak:

JeroenpersonShoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Wow! “Dharma” and “Fraggle Rock” - two words I would never have expected to see in the sme sentence! ?

Kundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s good to know someone is paying attention to what we teach kids and that it’s actually useful. Although perhaps what an adult thinks is a good life lesson and what a child thinks is useful might be quite different things.

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

One of my favourite shows when I was a kid!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:
    The real wisdom we save for the noobs and children. <3

Adults and advanced practitioners ... complicated ... :heartbreak:

True...

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few".

~Shunryu Suzuki~

personlobsterajhayes
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I remember the fraggles an example to me as a kid that there are different personalities. I think I remember some names: gobo, boober, red, wembly? They had different personalities.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Lee82 said:
    One of my favourite shows when I was a kid!

Uncle Travelling Matt!

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

I loved that show as a kid. Looks like I need to revisit it.

• skyfox66skyfox66 Explorer

Dance your cares away. Save your worries for another day. Let the music play, down in Fraggle Rock! I also grew up with Mr. Rogers, Pooh Corner, and Care Bears. Gee, I feel like I've been a Buddhist all my life now. Funny.

BunkspersonLee82
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2019

I recently visited The Jim Henson Exhibit at the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC. I highly recommend visiting if you're in the city. One of the great pioneers of television that strove to make it good and decent, and very funny. Fraggle Rock contains not just an extremely well thought-out premise (3 races living on top of each other at different scales, highlighting the difficult task of empathy) but some groundbreaking technology.

personRowan1980