Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Throat tension

fivebellsfivebells Veteran
edited May 2009 in Meditation
I am consistently experiencing great tension in my throat while meditating. It's very painful, and hard to release. Anyone here experienced anything like that? If so, how did it resolve? I have tried making noises while meditating, but it hasn't helped much.

I have been doing a mix of tonglen and dzogchen meditations. First, tonglen, then watching and resting in whatever experience that evokes. What has been coming up is feelings of loneliness, despair and isolation.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    In my experience, this is a form of repression.

The tightness and discomfort you are experiencing seem to be a symptom of the loneliness, despair and isolation you are experiencing which hold their roots in Desire Hatred and Aversion. You are clinging to something, and it seems fuelled by Fear (Aversion).

Whence do these emotions arise?
    Why do you have them?
    What is their source?

I am not seeking either responses or clarification.
    But I think you should.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2009
    If I knew the answers to those questions, this might be a lot easier. Perhaps answers will come up in meditation, but I know better than to look for them.

I was more hoping for some suggestions about how to relieve the physical pain.
  • edited May 2009
    Have you tried moving your awareness to the place where you feel the problem to be? Tell it, that it's okay to be like that - you are not angry and just relax. Go into it.

That sometimes works for me, in certain situations although not the one you mention.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Perhaps answers will come up in meditation, but I know better than to look for them.
    :confused:

There's your suppression, right there....
    I was more hoping for some suggestions about how to relieve the physical pain.

I could give you a painkiller for that back of yours, but sooner or later, you have to address the slipped disc.....
  • edited May 2009
    Hi Fivebells,

If you are trying to do tonglen meditation without the instructions of a teacher I strongly advise you to stop doing it and to stick to metta meditation instead. It's not at all uncommon for people to run into various kinds of problems with this practice if they try to do it from internet or book instructions.
    If you do have a teacher and have been given this practice specifically, then I suggest you seek advice from him/her.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
    edited May 2009
    @frederica: No, it's the arrow parable. Casting about looking for answers, like a dog chasing its own tail, would itself be a form of suppression, or at least ignorance. The historical basis of this reaction may come to light in time, but it's not possible to force it, and to do so would be a perversion of the practice in any case. All you can do is return to what's there, and rest.

@srivijaya: Yeah, I've been doing that.

@Dazzle: I attended a Mind Training retreat three weeks ago (my second one.) I am in contact with the teacher.
  • edited May 2009
    @Dazzle: I attended a Mind Training retreat three weeks ago (my second one.) I am in contact with the teacher

Ok, good, then definately speak to the teacher about it - and in the meantime maybe there's too much tension. When negative feelings arise, notice them as they arise and then just breathe gently and relax into them and they'll dissolve.

edited May 2009
    @frederica: No, it's the arrow parable. Casting about looking for answers, like a dog chasing its own tail, would itself be a form of suppression, or at least ignorance. The historical basis of this reaction may come to light in time, but it's not possible to force it, and to do so would be a perversion of the practice in any case. All you can do is return to what's there, and rest.

Ok, fair enough. I just hate to think of snyone putting themselves through crap....

I wish you well... plenty of good- and better - advice here!!

Take care, ok? ;)
    edited May 2009
    Yep, thanks for all the advice and concern, everyone. (But I'd welcome more, if anyone has any experience with this.)
  • edited May 2009
    I'm wondering if you are maybe feeling depressed in general, Fivebells.

This is a very good article which is well worth reading:

http://www.evaminstitute.org.au/spiritual_director/teachings/depression1.html

Kind regards,

Dazzle
    edited May 2009
    Not at the moment, because I'm fully experiencing the loneliness, etc., but these feelings have certainly been associated with depression in the past.
  • edited May 2009
    Not at the moment, because I'm fully experiencing the loneliness, etc., but these feelings have certainly been associated with depression in the past.

Many kind thoughts and good wishes to you, Fivebells.

• edited May 2009
    Yep, thanks for all the advice and concern, everyone. (But I'd welcome more, if anyone has any experience with this.)

I must admit, as I don't know a thing about the meditation system you practice, I can't make any comment regarding the process by which these events may occur within your meditation.

It seems though, that external life events and unresolved issues are bearing down upon you and not allowing release even within meditation. Perhaps your meditation is just showing you, in an obvious way, what you are subconsciously carrying around the rest of the time.

I personally believe, from my own experience, that much of what we consider to be 'us', in a negative way, ie. when we get self-critical etc. is misconstrued. Most of where we find ourselves to mentally be, is as a result of external circumstances over which we may have little control.

When things pick up for us, we are (as if by magic) better people. I bet none of that helped you Fivebells, but I wish you all the best in resolving the loneliness. I know how that one feels.

Namaste
    Kris
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Hi, Fivebells.

Is there something you need to say to someone but fear the consequences?
    Or perhaps there's something you don't want to say and fear blurting it out by accident?

I realize this is a New Agey, pop psychology sort of take on the throat pain and tension but simplistic as it sounds it actually worked for me at a time when I was holding my tongue for fear of causing trouble. When I finally got the courage up to speak my mind my sore throat went away. Could have been coincidence but then again, maybe it wasn't. It's also possible that I'm just simple minded and simple solutions work for me. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    "Simple mind, best mind!" OK, I know that's not the real quote, but I liked it...

I think Boo may be onto something, but like the rest of the posters here, I'm not too sure what may be causing this phenomenon. If you ever have the chance to see a Tibetan doctor, they could probably hone right in on it. Also a good acupuncturist, which you're more likely to be able to find.

Palzang
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I consulted with a yoga teacher about it. She introduced me to something called the Sedona Method. The details of the method aren't that important. What I came to realize out of that consultation was that I was targetting the feelings of loneliness etc. without attending to everything else which was arising. (Desire not to feel that way, trying not to feel that way, and so on.) I'm no longer having this problem.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Great news, fivebells!