Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mala Knot

kennykenny Explorer
edited February 2010 in General Banter
First off let me apologize if this has been asked before, I ran a couple of searches and came up empty, perhaps bad key words.

Now on to the question, does anyone know how to tie the knot on the end of a mala? For example the knot on the one presented here.

http://www.buddhistmala.com/store/wood_juzu.html

The mala’s that I have made, I have always placed a tassel on the end but, recently a friend of mine broke her mala which uses a knot like in the example. I ran countless Google and YouTube searches which yielded no results more than likely because I lack the name of this knot.

Thank you all in advance for your time and any assistance you may be able to render.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Some instructions on how to make one here:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/149343/how_to_make_a_buddhist_mala_rosary_pg2.html?cat=34

It may be worth investigating from that angle.

Namste
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    It looks to me like a slipknot on a - wait for it - hangman's noose.:o
    The 'noose' in this case, holding the beads.

This video shows you step by step how to tie the knot....

Apparently, a proper noose should have 12 turns, symbolising the number of jurors, who would have had to have been unanimous in their decision.

Maybe, in the case of the Mala, you could use 9 turns, as this is the base number (multiplied) of beads on the mala itself, (it should have 108 beads, or at least a multiple of 9s....)

Sorry, but I do think that it's what it is.
    ;)
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009
    srivijaya – thank you for looking but, the instructions presented here are for adding a tassel on the end.

federica - It does indeed appear to look like this however, it sadly is not. This knot is for the larger 108 bead malas that are not made to loosen up as is allowed with a hangman’s knot. Though thank you for giving it a shot! I do use a hangman’s knot on my wrist malas to give the same effect and to allow the wearer to remove them when they need.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I'm kind of relieved it's not the right knot, it seemed a bit....macabre to me! :D

Thanks for coming back, sorry I couldn't help more!

Good luck!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    It's called a snakeknot... do a search on that...

Here's one link with instructions...

http://www.stellaceleste.com/htm/knots/snakeknot.htm
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009
    LesC wrote: »
    It's called a snakeknot... do a search on that...

Here's one link with instructions...

http://www.stellaceleste.com/htm/knots/snakeknot.htm

Wonderful, thank you so very much.
    edited June 2009
    Nice signature, Kenny....
    Quite appropriate! :D

I tried this knot. It looks very attractive.....
    It takes a moment or two to learn, but once you have the swing of things, it's simple!
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009
    Thank you kindly, I have a whole word document full of quotes that I enjoy and that make me think or even remind me of stuff but, I never wrote down names so I have no clue what’s by who. :)
  • edited February 2010
    thanks you for the info on the 'snake' knot... does any one know how to make
    the 'sliding' knot for a wrist mala , or what it is called? also the small 'bug' like knots at the ends when using these sliding knots?
    ( i am enjoying the quotes)