Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which translation of Lotus Sutra

NiosNios Veteran
edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I'm just wondering which translation of the Lotus Sutra would you recommend?

Cheers.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    The new one by Gene Reeves.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Ah, thank you. And not a bad price :)
  • edited November 2009
    you're welcome.
  • edited November 2009
    Nios wrote: »
    I'm just wondering which translation of the Lotus Sutra would you recommend?

Cheers.

Hendrik Kern's translation from the Sanskrit is the best, as it translated from the Sanskrit, retaining the original terminology, Sanskrit names, and the actual dharani mantras from the original manuscripts. No other translation can match it for the sheer awesome power that comes through with the direct rendering from the original manuscripts. Also, the Kessinger reprint is absolutely marvellous, retaining the large, bold font and olde world layout of Kern's 1888 work. It is a magnificent, stirring, utterly inspiring text, and totally unsurpassed. The only thing is the introduction and notes, which are hopelessly outdated. Imbibe the text itself, which is totally faithful, and do not mind the introduction or notes.

Next, there are two superb translations from Kumarajiva's Chinese version.
    First, the version in The Threefold Lotus Sutra, translated by two or three hands, published by Bunno Kato, a Japanese Buddhist publishing house. While lacking the awesome power of Kern's text, as it is twice removed from the original and many of the passages are not entirely faithful to the original, the passion and knowledge of the translators shines through making it still an immensely beguiling and astounding text. Even more, this version includes the rare Innumerable Meanings and Meditation Sutras as introduction and concluding sutras, both of which are vital to the understanding of the Lotus itself. This volume is indispensible.

Finally, there is Burton Watson's translation which, although the "freest" translation of them all, and Watson himself not a Buddhist, but rather a translator of Chinese classical texts in general, he still manages to capture all the enthusiasm, sense of wonder, miraculousness of the spirit of the Lotus and as a beginner's introduction to the world of the Lotus Sutra and Mahayana Buddhism in general, its power can hardly be overstated.

I strongly recommend to seek out all three of these versions, and study them all, either one by one, or together.

If you only want to get one, and you want the most faithful to the original, Kern's is the only option. If you want a nonscholarly, beginner's version, Watson's is the one to go for. If you want a scholarly translation of the Chinese version, by dedicated Buddhist practitioners and scholars, with the introductory and concluding sutras as well, then the Bunno Kato translation is unsurpassed.

Again, I stress that for a thorough understanding of the spirit, intent, and sheer joyousness of the Lotus Sutra, which is the pinnacle of the Mahayana sutra teaching, then all three of the above are really indispensible.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Wow, thanks for the detailed info. Been a great help.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    LOL!

I'm not sure what exactly you got banned for, but the fact that you think signing up with a new name and then shouting at the top of your lungs "HEY MODS! I'M LOTUS BUDDHA, THE GUY YOU JUST BANNED! And instead of calmy discussing things with the Moderators in private, I'm going to leave vague messages scattered about the forum to stir up gossip and controversy!" isn't going to result in another instant ban is just hull-air-ee-uss.

Edit -

King of Tantra<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_68700", true); </SCRIPT>
    Banned

Bwahahaha. xD Called it. :PWNED:
  • edited November 2009
    huh?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Oh Shenpen, you missed it. :')
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    worry not.
    Just pointless posting, nothing to worry about.
  • edited November 2009
    Oh Shenpen, you missed it. :')
    poop. i hate missing out on the fun.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Since as all this has gone off topic, Federica, is that Fede from Esangha?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    It's only been drawn off-topic by some 'flaming' nonsense, which has now been dealt with.

However, as it's your thread, please feel free to steer it any way you need... :)

In answer to your question, yes.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Cool, you may know me as Peas on Earth. Hello :) hope you are well.
    edited November 2009
    Well helloooooooo there!
    How are you?
    Long time no see!

last time was a briefly snatched meeting in the Quaker Lobby in London, after the TNH talk, wasn't it..?

(Exactly how OT do you wanna take this....? :lol:)

PM me if you want....! :D
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Oops, oh yeah! :D PM sent ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    How tacky... :nonono:

Palzang