Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

make your own zafu?

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Today
Several years ago my mother & I obtained some kapok, buckwheat, and other raw materials, and rooted through the family collection of fabric & such. And we made a zafu and zabuton for my personal use.

We had so much left over that we made a few more, and shared.

They've all held up quite well so far, and I use mine to this day.

So it just hit me to see if anyone else has made their own. So, have you?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Part of the programme of a mixed study-and-meditation retreat that I put together for a community near here included opportunity to make a meditation bench or cushion. People really seemed to like it.
  • skyfox66skyfox66 Explorer
    edited December 2009
    I love the idea of making my own meditation cushions but I must admit...I'm lousy at sewing. I have the fabric laying around but my sewing skills need a bit of work. One day I will finish them though. :D
  • edited December 2009
    I made my own zabuton. Didnt have the money to buy one, and my knees hurt when i sat for a long time. So i took a sleepmat and some leftover fabric and made a zabuton.... i even made it so it so i can fold it, when i have to take it with me for retreats. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Premade meditation cushions are so expensive it's almost insulting. I meditate sitting in a chair, but if I used a cushion it would probably be a couple of bed pillows. A good meditation bench is a regular plastic step-stool which are about $9 from Walmart. Drape a piece of fabric over it if you'd like for it to look more spiritual.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13225281
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I just use a folded stack of blankets or linens - whatever's handy today. :D
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I sit in a wooden chair, though since it's cold I sometimes have a blanket draped over it.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I sit in a chair, too, though it's a pretty recent thing for me (the last two weeks.) I used to use a kneeling bench, but the extreme cold around here is making my knees hurt pretty badly.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I sit in a chair, too, though it's a pretty recent thing for me (the last two weeks.) I used to use a kneeling bench, but the extreme cold around here is making my knees hurt pretty badly.

I think kneeling is pretty much out of the question for me. There's pretty much a constant dull ache in them at all times and the winter is especially rough.
  • edited January 2010
    I sit on a chair as well. I shortened the front legs of the chair by about an inch and this causes the seat to be tilted slightly forward. This helps in two ways: (1) the edge of the chair does not bite into your thighs; and (2) more importantly, it causes you to automaticlaay sit up straight (leaning back becomes uncomfortable).

EDIT: Before you go chopping off the legs of your chair, try placing some wooden wedges under the rear legs of the chair to tilt it forward; and then try it out. :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Great idea! Thanks, sukhita. I'll try that out tonight.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I bought mine from Genryu (I think that was his name) and I really like it.

Unfortunately, he never paid me back the $225 he needed during a difficult time in his life on here - so, it's probably, overall, more expensive than most of the zafu's you can find on Ebay.

-bf
  • edited June 2010
    I made my own..I had never sewed anything before, but I have since. It's still great after a couple of years. I made a couple as wedding presents after. It wasn't too difficult even for me with no experience, and well worth it.