Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Absolutely!

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I hear a lot of Buddhists on here and elsewhere proclaim that there are no absolutes; 'no black and white, only shades of gray.'

What does Buddhism say on the matter? Are there undeniable truths in this world? Even the Buddha spoke of good and evil sometimes, did he not?

But does anyone here really believe that talk about no absolutes? I mean I know many of you talk that way, but I have a hard time believing you all.

Aren't there certain things that are just absolutely morally wrong with no possible mush, gray justification for them? Genocide? Rape? Etc...

If you acknowledge that those two examples are indeed absolutely wrong, doesn't the whole 'no black or white' edifice kind of crumble?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    That's an interesting question. Personally, I'm not absolutely sure one way or the other, but I think that social consciousness changes and evolves. There was a time not too long ago, for example, when things like genocide and rape were justified (and in some cases, it appears they still are). Just look at the Bible and the accounts of what ancient Israelites did to other tribes in the name of their god, acts which they where able to justify then but aren't so justifiable today. And I'm not trying to pick on the Bible; every culture has its own examples.

Just for the sake of argument, if there are some kind of moral absolutes, how is it possible that people were able to justify things like murdering an entire tribe for their land and women at one point in time but not now? Were they simply ignorant of those moral absolutes? If so, why? And what makes them absolute? God? If so, which god? Laws of nature? If so, which laws and where do they come from?

I don't like killing. I don't even like the thought of it. But that doesn't mean there's some cosmic dictate that states it's evil and wrong under any circumstance. And even if there was, what about people like Hitler? If you say that things like murder and genocide are always wrong, but people like Hitler are evil and must be stopped at any cost, does that mean it's OK to murder and entire group of people if they're all like Hitler? If the answer's yes, then it'd appear that such moral "absolutes" aren't very absolute, and if the answer's no, then evil has a natural advantage over good in that it's protected by these absolutes even as it transgresses them with wild abandon.

Objectively speaking, I can't say that anything is right or wrong, but I have no trouble doing so subjectively. I don't like the thought of killing or being killed. I don't like the thought of raping or being raped. And it's easy for me to see how other people tend to feel the same way, therefore I can at least see how such actions are relatively right or wrong based upon this point of reference. But I don't believe the universe is designed in such a way as to make any specific action done by human beings absolutely right or wrong (remember, we're not the only animals who kill, rape, etc.).

The way I see it, we simply experience the results of our actions in ways that are interpreted to be right or wrong based upon a myriad of factors, some of which may be unique to our species. The main reason I take this relativistic position is the fact that I've yet to discover an immutable source or basis for such absolutes besides the fact that I find them repugnant. If I knew without a doubt that there was such a basis, then my position would certainly change, but I'm currently unconvinced of its existence. I can see how these actions are morally right and wrong from a human-centric point of view, but I fail to see an objective seat from which they can be judged one or the other in any absolute sense.

As for the Buddha, I'm not sure whether he spoke about morality in an absolute sense; although, I suspect that he did, especially in regard to kamma. He spoke about morally reprehensible acts, for example, based up the idea that intentional actions have the potential to produce certain results, which, in turn, have the potential to produce pleasant, painful or neutral feelings. Intention actions rooted in greed, hatred or delusion produce painful feelings, while intentional actions rooted in non-greed, non-hatred and non-delusion produce the opposite, and I suppose that's an absolute basis for morality.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with you when considering it from this perspective. Even so, I'm not ready to jump on the absolutist bandwagon just yet. To do that, it'd have to be shown that such a law objectively exists in the universe and that it applies to everyone equally, regardless of the specific circumstances involved beyond the intentional actions themselves. And that's not easily proven.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    It's always wrong to feel hatred for someone, or jealousy towards them, or to doubt the law of cause and effect (karma). Physical and verbal actions that are usually considered wrong can sometimes be okay if they are motivated by kindness and lead to a positive result.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I hear a lot of Buddhists on here and elsewhere proclaim that there are no absolutes; 'no black and white, only shades of gray.' What does Buddhism say on the matter?
    The Buddha said the following about these kinds of delusions:
    There are some priests & contemplatives, who have the perception of 'day' when it is night and of 'night' when it is day. This, I tell you, is their being in a dwelling of delusion. As for me, I have the perception of 'day' when it is day and of 'night' when it is night.

Bhaya-bherava Sutta

:)
    edited December 2009
    I hear a lot of Buddhists on here and elsewhere proclaim that there are no absolutes...
    The Buddha taught many absolutes, such as in the Dhamma-niyama Sutta.

edited December 2009
    If you acknowledge that those two examples are indeed absolutely wrong, doesn't the whole 'no black or white' edifice kind of crumble?
    Yes. Absolutely.

316. Those who are ashamed of what they should not be ashamed of, and are not ashamed of what they should be ashamed of — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.
    317. Those who see something to fear where there is nothing to fear, and see nothing to fear where there is something to fear — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.
    318. Those who imagine evil where there is none, and do not see evil where it is — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.
    319. Those who discern the wrong as wrong and the right as right — upholding right views, they go to realms of bliss.

Dhammapada
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Here's an interesting talk I watched today dealing with the biological basis for morality: http://bit.ly/XsXYY
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009

You often hear Buddhists say there's absolutely no black-and-white, period? Isn't that black-and-white thinking, too?

For what it's worth, when I said that yesterday, I was refering to the statement "killing is wrong, period." Personally, I can think of plenty of situations where killing is justified, compassionate, "right," whatever you want to call it. Some people disagree on that. So I guess the issue isn't black-and-white. :)