Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your thoughts, please

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited September 2005 in General Banter
I should be grateful if you would hold me in your thoughts today. I just popped in here before I go into hospital for cardiac catheterisation. The procedure is relatively routine, and I had it done a dozen years ago - it's just that I go "stir crazy" in hospitals!

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Thinking of you, then, today Simon. Best of luck with your surgery, and please hurry back in good spirits to report your adventure to us :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    As am I. Hope to hear good news when you return. :)
  • edited September 2005
    As another who has undergone multiple surgeries I understand your mixture of routine and dread when getting into the hospital gown for the second time.

I look forward to the return of your good health, best of luck!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Take care - and be calm. Breathe deeply, and smile.... Relax.

Talk soon. :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Best wishes for your swift return home and my thoughts will be with you!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Best wishes - I'm sure there is nothing to worry about except for your rear end hanging out the back of your gown.

Drop me a line if you get too stir crazy recouperating at home.

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    Sorry I missed this yesterday - Hang in there Simon and my thoughts are definitely with you. Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Good luck! :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    I should be grateful if you would hold me in your thoughts today. I just popped in here before I go into hospital for cardiac catheterisation. The procedure is relatively routine, and I had it done a dozen years ago - it's just that I go "stir crazy" in hospitals!

Simon:

I will certainly do that. I will be praying and chanting for you.

Adiana :mullet:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005

Back home now? How are you? Did all go OK? Was everything routine? Were the nurses nice? Did the Doc have a good bedside manner? Did you take your medicine like a good boy? Did your behind hang out of your gown? :o :thumbsup:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    First, and above all else, thank you, my dear friends, for your kind words and thoughts.

I am, indeed, back home and not too much the worse for the procedure. It has, however, left me with a sense that the other shoe hasn't dropped yet! Three of the remaining four grafts (having 'lost' one ages ago) have simply disappeared. Despite risking renal damage by using large amounts of the radioactive dye, we could not manage to find even one of them. My cardiac circulation is, apparently, being maintained by a single, grafted, artery which is also narrowed just before the graft. Explains the breathlessness and pain. But, despite the 'gold standard' nature of angiography, we shall now have to go for a CT scan to get a clearer picture of the circulation.

So, another wait, another day in hospital, more practising patience ("Nirvana in samsara" as one monk put it to me!) And then there will have to be a conference to review possible ways forward.

It was a bit of a shock when I realised that we couldn't see any of the venous grafts. It is so strange to realise that my body has simply absorbed them. And it did so without so much as a by-your-leave!

Lying absolutely flat and immobile for an hour is really so perfect for meditation, despite 15 minute obs! Our old bonne in France, when I was a child, used to say that insomnia was Our Lady's way of giving us time to say the rosary. Blessed Saint Polyanna, pray for us! (LOL) But it is a wonderful way of passing time and could, one hopes, be of benefit.

Once again, thank you for your thoughts, prayers, chants and posts. They are a real tonic.
  • feefee
    edited September 2005
    Simon, sorry I didn't see this yesterday. Glad to hear things went well but it all sounds rather painful.
    You are in my thoughts today.
    xx
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I'm no doctor, but that sounds pretty serious Simon. I don't know if positive thoughts can really make a difference in someone else's health, but that surely won't stop me from sending as many as I can to you.

You have my best wishes.
    edited September 2005
    Thanks, Elohim. I'm not sure how serious it is. I failed to ask my usual question: "Should I be worried?" So, now I'm worrying. LOL

I don't know if positive and compassionate thoughts help anything more than my mental attitude but I am grateful for them. After all, mind conditions everything else.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Keep your spirits high, Simon :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    It would be more difficult, Brian, without all of you. Thanks again!

Actually, I am hoping to be the first member of this sangha to die. It would be good to be first at something! LOL
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    *gasp*
    Simon! I'm shocked! You're like my dad/grampa/person! Faites-positif!
    edited September 2005
    Sabine, your reaction reminds me of something Woody Allen once said....

"Oh, I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

It happens.... to all of us..... some sooner, some later, but nobody's exempt....One of the greatest meditations recommended both by the Buddha and HH the DL is to ponder ones' own death and immortality. And why should it be such a dreadful thing to contemplate?

You are such a sweet young thing. As many would say, you have your whole life ahead of you.....
    But think about this.

We all have.

So the trick is to greet each day as a wonderful Miracle, and to live - to treat others - to enJoy and to celebrate each second - as if it might be your last.... This is True Mindfulness, Sweet Sabine. To Live in the Moment. Because Life is precious.

Simon, Flowers or donation.....? ;)
    edited September 2005
    Sabine, my little DharmaSister,

Death isn't a big deal. It is as inevitable as farting. Until I had a friendly relationship with death, I used to get all worried and upset about it, which gave it power over me. Now, it has no such power. My only complaint is that I can't plan because we have little certainty of when it will pitch up!

Fede, my Latin DharmaSister,

Neither. Plant something that will grow.

BTW, I shall probably outlive you all! If only to go on being annoying.
    edited September 2005

I wouldn't put it past you.....!! ;):lol:
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    I wouldn't put it past you.....!! ;):lol:

Hear! Hear!

I can totally see Simon doing that just to get on my nerves :)

-bf
  • edited September 2005

Death isn't a big deal. It is as inevitable as farting.

LOL on the farting comment. That's hilarious.

And for the record, I don't find you annoying at all, Simon. :)
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I've often wondered if farting would be so taboo if it smelled fruity or sweet. Can you imagine being in an elevator and cracking one off, and someone saying, "mmmm, what's the sweet smell?" and you nodding "That was me!"
    edited September 2005
    -bf
    edited September 2005
    The dead bodies of saints and mahatmas (great souls) and enlightened lamas are said to smell of flowers!
    edited September 2005
    Yeh, and some exotic amazonian flowers smell of crap....!
    edited September 2005
    And we can well ask whether, when there's no one there to smell it, a flower smells good or bad - or, indeed, whether it has any smell at all.
  • edited September 2005
    Hey BF - mine really do smell like candy and cinnamon rolls. Just ask my husband!

Ok, I almost said that with a straight face.
    edited September 2005
    Ha ha.... that's a good one. Nice punch line :)

I never posted the picture of what they 'really' are like...

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    I can't help what they smell like! I am vegetarian, so I eat a lot of beans!
  • edited September 2005
    well............ i hope yur stuff goes well simon, keep the spirits up, and i don't really smell um, even though, one time, me and one of my friends were lighting them on fire. that is really stupid, and i wouldn't advise it. :tonguec: :rolleyesc :mullet: