Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist form of grace (prayer before eating)?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all

Please can anyone recommend any short prayers i could say before eating my food? Thanks

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Tibetan Buddhism prayer before eating:

I offer this to the teacher, higher than any other, the Precious Buddha.
    I offer this to the protection, higher than any other, the Precious Dharma.
    I offer this to the guide, higher than any other, the Precious Sangha.
    If offer this to the places of refuge, the 3 jewels, rare and supreme.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In our tradition it's itadakimasu
    Meals in Japan traditionally begin with the phrase itadakimasu (いただきます<SUP>?</SUP>) (literally, "I humbly receive"). The phrase is similar to "bon appétit," or saying grace to give thanks before a meal. It is said to express gratitude for all who played a role in preparing, cultivating, ranching or hunting the food.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Japan
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To the supreme teacher, the precious Buddha,

To the supreme practice, the holy precious Dharma.

To the supreme guides, the precious Sangha,

To all the objects of refuge we make this offering.

May we and all those around us never be separated from the Triple Gem in any of our lives.

May we always have the opportunity to make offerings to them,

and may we continously recieve their blessings and inspiration to progress along the path.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I came up with this, which I use. If you do not eat meat, leave out the "lives" comment.

I give thanks to all the sentient beings,
    who gave of themselves,
    some with their lives,
    so that I may have this food to nourish my body.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Paṭisaṅkhā yoniso piṇḍapātaṃ patsevāmi

With wise reflection, I eat this food

Neva davāya na madāya na maṇḍanāya na vibhūsanāya

Not for play, not for intoxication, not for fattening, not for beautification

Yāvadeva imassa kāyassa ṭhitiyā yāpanāya vihiṃsuparatiyā brahma-cariyānuggahāya

Only to maintain this body, to stay alive & heathly, to support the spiritual life

Iti purāṇañca vedanaṃ paṭihaṅkhāmi navañca vedanaṃ na uppādessāmi

Thus I let go of unpleasant feelings [of hunger], without stirring up new ones (of craving, overeating, etc)

Yātrā ca me bhavissati anavajjatā ca phāsu-vihāro cāti

Therefore the process of life goes on, blameless, at ease and in peace.

Reflection at the Moment of Using the Requisites

:smilec:
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Paṭisaṅkhā yoniso piṇḍapātaṃ patsevāmi

With wise reflection, I eat this food

Neva davāya na madāya na maṇḍanāya na vibhūsanāya

Not for play, not for intoxication, not for fattening, not for beautification

Yāvadeva imassa kāyassa ṭhitiyā yāpanāya vihiṃsuparatiyā brahma-cariyānuggahāya

Only to maintain this body, to stay alive & heathly, to support the spiritual life

Iti purāṇañca vedanaṃ paṭihaṅkhāmi navañca vedanaṃ na uppādessāmi

Thus I let of of unpleasant feelings [of hunger], without stirring up new ones (of craving, overeating, etc)

Yātrā ca me bhavissati anavajjatā ca phāsu-vihāro cāti

Therefore the process of life goes on, blameless, at ease and in peace.
    Love this!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Your'e welcome.

:smilec:
  • edited April 2010
    LesC i like that one! and yours, Dhamma Dhatu! awesome. here's one I picked up from a Zen Food Prayer.
    I give thanks to the many beings who helped this (breakfast, lunch, hot-dog, cereal, MEAL) become possible before me today.
    I vow to use this energy for only good.
    The Sun is in my Food.
    *namaste*
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    The Sun is in my Food.
    Profound - yet simple! This would work as a form of grace in my farmfolk household. Plus it's a great reminder that the best food is fueled by the sun - not oil!
  • edited April 2010
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    Please can anyone recommend any short prayers i could say before eating my food? Thanks

Hi Emma,

You follow a Tibetan tradition, right? In addition to offering the food, representing body, speech and mind to the Refuge, you could use the opportunity to strengthen your bodhisattva vow by holding (or saying) the wish that the strength and health you get from the food you'll use for the ultimate beefit of others.
    I also like to blow mantras on the food and think of all the beings connected with it as receiving the blessings of the yidam.

Best wishes
    kajibabu
  • edited April 2010
    diamond i love your idea, very inspiring! i think its really best just to be mindful of allll the energy that came together, miraculously, to create the meal that will soon become YOUR energy! and vow to USE that energy for only the best in you. Feeding the Buddha in you. :P
    *namaste*
This discussion has been closed.