Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do all buddhists believe in enlightenment?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I don't accept the standard notions of enlightenment.

A lot of people might say I'm not really a Buddhist, though. YMMV.
  • edited April 2010
    Sure are a lot of "do all Buddhists..." questions lately. Everyone has their own beliefs; depending on your goals and outlook of life, you must have some kind of beliefs unless you gain self-knowledge out of direct experience for yourself. Those who practice Buddhism because they seek enlightenment obviously believe, or have confidence, that these states are possible.

The very point of Buddhism is to reach these states of liberation (awakening/enlightenment) through proper understanding of the Four Noble Truths and following the Noble Eightfold Path. Some Buddhists do not practice Buddhism for that purpose, but that does not change what the purpose of the Buddha's teachings actually is: Nirvana.

The issue that can arise that leads to confusion is what constitutes enlightenment. There are people who think the supramundane enlightenment does not exist, but rather that having a thorough understanding and agreement with the teachings constitutes enlightenment itself; that this is wisdom. Such is merely ignorance, and in line with that thought such people would be frustrated that they still suffer. They suffer because they are not liberated; have not found freedom that is gained only systematically through practice and the attainment of the four levels of awakening (stream-entry, once-returner, non-returner and worthy one; Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anagami and Arahant respectively).
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    BuddhaOdin wrote: »

This question is like asking do all toads believe in the lilypad? Whether they do or not, they are still sitting on it. Some will look a bit closer though I imagine.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Abu: But I don't think that's the standard notion of enlightenment, at least as the Theravadins think of it. I think that for them, it means a complete end to suffering/samsara. (Brazier has a couple of chapters on the different varieties of enlightenment promised by the difference schools of Buddhism, in his book The New Buddhism. But I haven't read them closely.)
  • edited April 2010
    I believe in it but try not to think about it to much becuase I think it leads to impatience and wanting to see a result from practice. Much like the problems you are describing in your meditation question. I would just like to have slightly less craving, aversion and ignorance in my life.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to see some progress in meditation. A little more patience, a little more love and compassion, less bias, less jealousy, neurotic clinging and ignorance. More kindness, clarity and insight.

If there is no improvement ever what motivates us to practice?
  • edited April 2010
    That's like asking if an Atheist disbelieves in God. Or if Christians believe in Christ.

"Buddha" means "the Enlightened one." Buddhism is the path to enlightenment.
  • edited April 2010
    If by "enlightenment" you mean a realization (direct experience) of the third noble truth then yes.

It really depends on which Buddhist you ask, different traditions answer this question differently.
  • edited April 2010
    If by "enlightenment" you mean a realization (direct experience) of the third noble truth then yes.
    Just wanted to point out that Nirvana/Nibbana (the Third Noble Truth) isn't the realization itself; it is the result of realization. Several realizations, one after another after another, with specific ones leading to specific stages of awakening (hence why there are four stages of awakening... it's a systematic process).

Not trying to argue or anything, I'm sure that's what you meant. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    I "believe" in enlightenment.

We already know what it feels like to be partially enlightened I think. For example, if we look outside and see a tree, and see that some of its leaves are missing, we just observe that some of its leaves are missing, we do not judge it as good or bad, we just say that some of its leaves are missing, there is no emotion attached. If someone was attached to the tree being full of leaves, or absent of leaves, or in any form other than it currently was, they would be suffering. They would say "I wish the tree had more leaves," and suffer. But we can look at it and not judge the tree, just appreciate it for what it is. I imagine that full enlightenment would be similar, but would apply to all situations and circumstances. Computer broke? House burned down? Ate some chocolate? Won a million dollars? Lost a million dollars? Those would be as empty as the feeling about the tree having some of it's leaves missing. There is no attachment.

So I "believe" in enlightenment, because I can already personally experience what it feels like to be enlightened in certain aspects. Suffering is a product of our clinging, and since we know what it feels like to not cling to certain things, we can know what it feels like to cling to nothing, and just accept what "is." And enlightenment, or the cessation of suffering, is a pretty fundamental Buddhist teaching, in fact, the cessation of suffering is really the only teaching, that's what it's all about, so I don't see why a Buddhist wouldn't "believe" in it.

:) Take care
  • edited April 2010
    But is Enlightenment more than the cessation of suffering? I know the Eightfold path should lead to that.
  • edited April 2010
    It's the end of all forms of mental unsatisfactoriness. You couldn't ask for more; it's the ultimate bliss.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    You couldn't ask for more; it's the ultimate bliss.

And here I thought that's what a nice fresh home grown tomato sandwich was! :)
  • edited April 2010
    The issue with the OP question above is the concept of "believe." The Buddha asked that people cease grasping onto beliefs, and this includes grasping for nibbana. Enlightenment is not something to agree with or disagree with. The question is always about what your experience actually is.

The Buddha's direct experience is more than well-documented in the suttas. If you are asking if I/we/anyone believes that the Buddha was enlightened, I would point back to the suttas, because according to him and an awful lot of sharp people...he was enlightened.

The different training and myriad of different translations, cultural infusions (across Asia and here into the west) have muddied the water of what enlightenment even means, but that is fine as far as I am concerned. Having a perfect doctrinal definition is something we let Christians, Jews, and Muslims insist on and on about. We are fine with valuing YOUR experience, and we can point to many great teachers, authors, and beings full of compassion throughout our history and within many different traditions. If that isn't enough, then you are probably expecting something that the dhamma never promised to deliver.

While "progress" and "improvement" are definitely evident, they are not the goal of practice. Practice is done for the sake of it....being in the moment. Mindful. tranquil. That is sufficient. As the Buddha taught...such an experience is an auspicious day! (MN 131)
    You shouldn't chase after the past or place expectations on the future.
    What is past is left behind. The future is as yet unreached.
    Whatever quality is present you clearly see right there, right there.
    Not taken in, unshaken, that's how you develop the heart.
    Ardently doing what should be done today, for — who knows? — tomorrow death.
    There is no bargaining with Mortality & his mighty horde.
    Whoever lives thus ardently, relentlessly both day & night,
    has truly had an auspicious day: so says the Peaceful Sage.
  • edited April 2010
    But is Enlightenment more than the cessation of suffering? I know the Eightfold path should lead to that.

Enlightenment is increased awareness. I don't see what it has to do with suffering. I think you mean Nirvana which is supreme Enlightenment combined with the cessation of suffering.

Buddha reached Enlightenment under the Bodhi tree when he attained the answers to the Universe and the wisdom of the suttas and sutras.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Buddha reached Enlightenment under the Bodhi tree when he attained the answers to the Universe and the wisdom of the suttas and sutras.

Do you have a sutta citation for that? For enlightenment as opposed to nibbana?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I originally was pretty inspired by enlightenment and I still am. But somewhere along the road I realized that I had to have sense of inspiration, true, but that I had to look at the step on the road ahead of me. As opposed to the step way down the road.
  • edited April 2010
    But how can you stop craving if you crave Enlightenment?
  • edited April 2010
    Enlightenment is increased awareness. I don't see what it has to do with suffering. I think you mean Nirvana which is supreme Enlightenment combined with the cessation of suffering.

But doesn't increased awareness lead to the end of suffering? I read that the Eightfold path leads to the end of suffering and Elightenment. Some people use the words Enlightment and Nirvana interchangeably.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010

In the end you overcome that craving. Along the way you use it as motivation to attract the things you need. Meditative wisdom. Good karma to support your stability of mind.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Aspiration isn't necessarily a craving.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010

In Buddhist psychology, for lack of a better word, desire and craving are two different things: desires (chanda) is a neutral term, and one generally has to have the desire to achieve a goal in order to achieve it, even nibbana (SN 51.15); whereas the Pali word for craving, tahna (literally "thirst"), is something that's directly tied to suffering.

The second noble truth states that the origination of suffering is "the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming" (SN 56.11). As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains in Wings to Awakening:

<blockquote>Craving for sensuality, here, means the desire for sensual objects. Craving for becoming means the desire for the formation of states or realms of being that are not currently happening, while craving for non-becoming means the desire for the destruction or halting of any that are. "Passion and delight," here, is apparently a synonym for the "desire and passion" for the five aggregates that constitutes clinging/sustenance url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/wings/part3.html#part3-h-2%22%20target=%22_blank" target="_blank]III/H/ii[/url.</blockquote>

Desire, on the other hand, can be skillful (kusala) and unskillful (akusala). The desire for happiness, especially "long-term welfare and happiness," is actually an important part of the Buddhist path. For example, are you familiar with the four bases of power (iddhipada)? The four qualities listed in the bases of power are desire, persistence, intent and discrimination. In Wings to Awakening, Thanissaro Bhikkhu points to this passage:
    There is the case where a monk develops the base of power endowed with concentration founded on desire & the fabrications of exertion, thinking, 'This desire of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly restricted nor outwardly scattered.' (Similarly with concentration founded on persistence, intent, and discrimination.)

He goes on to explain that, "This passage shows that the problem lies not in the desire, effort, intent or discrimination, but in the fact that these qualities can be unskillfully applied or improperly tuned to their task."

If we take a look at the exchange between Ananda and the brahmin Unnabha in SN 51.15, for example, we can see that the attainment of the goal is indeed achieved through desire, even though paradoxically, the goal is said to be the abandoning of desire. That's because at the end of the path desire, as well as the other three bases of power, subside on their own. As Ananda explains at the end of SN 51.15:
    He earlier had the desire for the attainment of arahantship, and when he atained arahantship, the corresponding desire subsided. He earlier had aroused energy for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding energy subsided. He earlier had made up his mind to attain arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding resolution subsided. He earlier had made an investigation for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding investigation subsided. (Bodhi)
  • edited April 2010

Nirvana is not "supreme enlightenment combined with the cessation of suffering", nirvana is the cessation of the defilements that cause suffering.
    There is no one answer to the original question. Different traditions specify different results, paths, and methods.
    The idea that enlightenment is some kind of increased awareness is very new-agey.
    And no, I dont think one can say that "all Buddhists believe in enlightenment". I have personally met many who do not.
  • edited April 2010
    excellent point.
  • edited April 2010
    But doesn't increased awareness lead to the end of suffering?

And? Enlightenment can lead to the end of sufferring, but it is fallacious to equivocate the two. Enlightenment is Enlightenment. The end of suffering is the end of sufferring.

Wars lead to death, but "war" and "death" aren't synonymous.
    Some people use the words Enlightment and Nirvana interchangeably.

These terms are also different. Nirvana is liberation from Samsara, loss of ego-self, cessation of suffering, and supreme Enlghtenment. Enlightenment is increased understanding.

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    And what is the Pali word for Enlightenment?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010

Sometimes its just about breathing :)