Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Monks Pics

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited August 2010 in Sanghas
I just found these on the net and I thought they were really neat.

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    One more. :bowdown:
    edited July 2005
    And another.
    edited July 2005
    I really like this one.
    edited July 2005
    And this one is really interesting.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    That last one is cool.
  • edited July 2005
    monks-c.jpg
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Ohh! :bigclap: I love just being in the presence of monks, even if we're not talking. It somehow makes me feel better! I guess being around someone who's that calm and serene and everything kinda rubs off on ya :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Here's one you don't see every day:

Monks in a MOVIE THEATRE :D

ONE-movie-opening-038.jpg

I'll explain that one later...

Monks at my house and with my son:

House-Blessing-021.jpg
    House-Blessing-022.jpg
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I want monks at my house.
    Brian your kids are gorgeous, you should be proud.
    edited July 2005
    Brian was trying to bribe the monks for the secret to enlightenment by buying them a movie. LOL We are on to you. LOL :p
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    hahah yeah if it were only that easy!

The monk on the end (closest to the wall) is the abbot of the temple I attend. A couple of years ago we were contacted by a film production company call Circle of Bliss Productions. They were filming a documentary about the one-ness of world religions and they wanted to include Arjahn Chuen (the abbot) in the film. It was being filmed in northern michigan and the abbot and the other monk (Arjahn Pimol) asked us to drive them up there and spend the weekend with them. It was a great experience. Well, we kind of forgot about the movie, but then I got a phone call a couple of months ago that the movie was finished and we were invited to the opening. So we picked up Dr. Chuen and Pimol and took them to the opening :)

Not often you see a buddhist monk in a movie theatre, judging by the theatre staff ;)
  • edited July 2005
    I've gotta hear that theatre story Brian.
  • edited May 2010
    Hello, Comicallyinsane , all,
    Anyone ever seen any photos of Buddhists at Bodhgaya, Nepal, monks, laymen/women doing prostrations and prayers with astral energy shooting up out of their crown chakras. I went into a shop that sells incense, cards, Buddha rupas (statues), etc. and started shooting the breeze with the clerk. She showed me a photo of ppl prostrating at Bodhgaya with these blue or red streaks of light coming up like a time lapse photo or something. I guess it could have been manipulated with Adobe Photoshop or something but I doubt it. Anyone ever seen anything like that?
    /\ PR
  • edited May 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    Here's one you don't see every day:

Monks in a MOVIE THEATRE :D......

I live in Central Texas these days and considering where I come from I regard this area as a plain, brown bag. Very 'normal' Americana.

Anyway, two years ago I was in a cell phone store buying new phones for my parents and there were three monks there--in the middle of Texas, where there are cows and goats and military!

They were looking at cell phones; clearly the reason they were in a cell phone store. :crazy:

If it were my home state of Florida I probably would have given little notice.

I told my mother of this and she said there must have been some sort of Korean festival or something going on. As this is a military community there are a number of Koreans.

Time passed, I learned there is a Korean buddhist place locally. I have googled it and it looks like a plain house, nothing grand like the temples featured in documentaries.

I have thought about visiting but I have anxiety as I'm not Korean and clearly this is for the Korean Buddhists and I might seem like an 'invader', a person who has no business being there.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    coco wrote: »
    I have thought about visiting but I have anxiety as I'm not Korean and clearly this is for the Korean Buddhists and I might seem like an 'invader', a person who has no business being there.
    haha!

If they are in Texas, they must see themselves as "invaders" a little bit.

Just go and check them out. Don't think of them as any different from you.

Here in Toronto, they have Korean churches, restaurants, virtually all of the convenience store ;)

Their culture is very similar and they are not that exotic and different.

ps: my wife is Korean (I'm white), I'm usually the visible minority in our group of friends ;)
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you Pat. Are there certain days that are suitable for visitors? Is there a correct protocol for entering the 'temple/house'? Do you know of any gender specific protocols for female visitors?

Silly questions perhaps, but I really do not know. I am only in the introductory reading phase of Buddhist study at this moment.

Thank you in advance. :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thank you Pat. Are there certain days that are suitable for visitors? Is there a correct protocol for entering the 'temple/house'? Do you know of any gender specific protocols for female visitors?
    just ask them :)
  • edited May 2010
    Too right :) There is but only one way to find out.
  • edited July 2010
    I live in Central Texas these days and considering where I come from I regard this area as a plain, brown bag. Very 'normal' Americana.

What part of Central Texas are you from, if you don't mind me asking. I used to live in Burnet in central Texas.

cool pic I found of monks on a roller coaster :)
    roller-coaster-monks.jpg
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Very cool, Shaina.