Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

karma posts rating

patbbpatbb Veteran
edited June 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
hello

what about adding a "karma" button to each post?

each post you like you can click the (+ karma) button, so the very interesting posts gets hundreds of karma, so it become easier to scroll through old threads and spot the nice replies.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I may indeed add such a feature one day soon, but I won't call it karma! ;) That word is abused enough without me adding to the pile. :D
  • edited May 2010
    Hey Matt, are you still planning on switching the forum software? :D
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I am! Vanilla 2 just made it to RC1 (Release Candidate 1) so we're still moving in the right direction :) My job has deprived me of my original schedule, but we move towards it slowly and inevitably. That will be when we get the feature described above.
  • edited May 2010
    Sounds great. I've never tried Vanilla yet, looks interesting. I've always liked vBulletin, great for practical use. Invasion board is probably the most 'feature' loaded board software I've seen, I like the idea of having a 'user status feed'.

Looking forward to the implementation
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    about the rating thing, you seem to like a challenge...

how about
    -the more a post get positive rating, the brighter it get.
    -the more a post get negative rating, the darker it get.

how cool would that be :)

might add a organic feel to the website.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Most posts get rated with a big smile, I reckon. The ones that raise eyebrows probably only get short shrift and are soon forgot.

But the posters tend towards the indecipherable, imponderable, and great-hearted. I'd hate it for them not all to win lotsa stars.

Ya know, you just can't comment on everything you read here. Most of my favorite threads I'd never dare chime in on. So much is well over my head!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    I may indeed add such a feature one day soon, but I won't call it karma! ;) That word is abused enough without me adding to the pile. :D

So long as there are people like Guilty, I have to say that's probably a good choice.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Is it possible to add a button that, when clicked, sends a "refreshing" jolt of electricity through the original posters key board?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    They already do: it's the "report to Federica" button.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Only, it won't be "refreshing"
    edited June 2010
    Regarding the 3 posts above, let me weigh in with a vote of my own:

Tiresome.

I don't mean any insult by that, but there's been too much chatter about some things lately. I think some restraint is called for, and joking around might not be the best thing to do right now.

Let's point our fingers a wee bit more inwards and see what we can do to make the world a wee bit better place, rather than littering it with useless chatter.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »

... there's been too much chatter about some things lately

Like rebirth? :buck:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What are you talking about? It was a joke meant in fun. I'll walk and old person across the street and adopt a stray kitten and flagellate myself 1000 times over to make up for my puerile atrocity later. :uphand: Removing laughter from the world will surely make it a better place! :lol: I mean: :mad::hohum::(

I'm assuming you cured cancer and solved world poverty with your above post? :P
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    What are you talking about?
    Cleverness being tiresome. Kinda like a bunch of drunken musicians with good instruments. They are having a heluva good time enjoying their music, but not the sober people listening to the second-rate music they've chosen. "My god," someone in the audience thinks, "not this again." I've sung in a choir before, and believe me, really bad music can be fun to sing, but insufferable to listen to. Same thing with jokes. Once you've heard 'em, you've 'eard 'em!

In the spiritual life one really has to be on guard against cleverness. It is rarely, if ever, helpful, and can make people feel your are callous, even if you are not.

Cheap shots are just that: cheap. Moreover they are never true and clever remarks absolutely do not endear you to anyone.

One really should be more on guard against oneself. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm gonna sign off from NewBuddhist for about a month. I deserve to take a break from all this innuendo about someone I admire using the upper hand too much and other trifles. Life is too short for that. Rather than seeing excrement being rubbed all round, I'd rather attend to my garden better.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    In the spiritual life one really has to be on guard against cleverness. It is rarely, if ever, helpful, and can make people feel your are callous, even if you are not.

What about cranky old buzz-killing party-poopers who only post when it's to, frankly, bitch about how much they hate half the people on the forum and would rather skin themselves than read any more of their posts? You don't contribute otherwise.
    I'm gonna sign off from NewBuddhist for about a month. I deserve to take a break from all this innuendo about someone I admire using the upper hand too much and other trifles. Life is too short for that. Rather than seeing excrement being rubbed all round, I'd rather attend to my garden better.

you mean you'd rather dig around in actual shit than continue going way out of your way to percieve everything as "excrement"? I'm not shitting on Fede for God's sake, I was more joking about everyone else shitting on her. Way to turn this into a convo about feces though-at least someone is making valuable forum contributions. When you start taking things so seriously and work so hard to find things to be offended by, then yeah, maybe it's time for a break.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I would like a "karma" button also. Maybe you could call it "like" and "dislike". I often want to give a post or reply some kind of positive vote without having to reply to it and say something like "Yeah, tru dat!"
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Nirvana. Who here doesn't have enough seriousness in his life. At 45 I have a multi-generational family to care for, living with the reality of old age, serious sickness and imminent death, not to mention economic burdens, and trying to wake up for the sake of all of them, not just my own suffering ass. I doubt anyone here lacks grave issues, fears, who's to say. Everyone here wants not suffer. for sure.

Not sure where your coming from.
  • edited June 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    I would like a "karma" button also. Maybe you could call it "like" and "dislike". I often want to give a post or reply some kind of positive vote without having to reply to it and say something like "Yeah, tru dat!"

Tru dat!
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Cleverness being tiresome. Kinda like a bunch of drunken musicians with good instruments. They are having a heluva good time enjoying their music, but not the sober people listening to the second-rate music they've chosen. "My god," someone in the audience thinks, "not this again." I've sung in a choir before, and believe me, really bad music can be fun to sing, but insufferable to listen to. Same thing with jokes. Once you've heard 'em, you've 'eard 'em!

Cheap shots are just that: cheap. Moreover they are never true and clever remarks absolutely do not endear you to anyone.

One really should be more on guard against oneself. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sheesh... :confused:
    edited June 2010
    Richard,
    You may not understand where I'm coming from, but it all seems logical to me, unlike the hateful overreaction by the person "due April 10th." Now, that's truly scary!

My post stemmed from my sensibility to how women should be treated honorably—not bringing their names up in conversation in any way that might possibly suggest anything that might impugn any part of their character. In fact, although my post may indeed have been indefensible, I saw insult there and felt compelled to respond. Perhaps it was a knee-jerk reaction, although I didn't respond for a while after I started stewing. (They say there's no stress if you don't care.) I see now that I was more than a bit overreactive. However, that said, I was asked why I called those three posts tiresome and gave my [politically incorrect] answer. I guess I should ignored the question. Yes?

I am really so weary of so many essentially non-Buddhist attitudes on this site and need a vacation and am tired of all the B.S. That anyone would take this skatological language personally and come back with such a venomous response just shows me that they obviously didn't take any time to think and were simply displaying a knee-jerk reaction which we all do from time to time.

However, the important thing to do is not only to look at what people say, but also try to think of the reason behind it. You cannot blame people for their sensibilities and likes and dislikes. Or rather, if you may do so with impunity, there is no hope ever of peace on earth.

Fun is the best thing to have. I won't argue with that. But always joking around is not so fun for the people who have to put up with it.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    That anyone would take this skatological language personally and come back ...

Are you guilty of the same crime you are accusing someone else for? Have you taken a light-hearted joke way too serious and gone on to make passive-aggressive comments on that like "non-Buddhist, offensive, BS, hateful"

Having said that I understand where you are comming from. Forums!! :hiding:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Holy hell.
    You may not understand where I'm coming from, but it all seems logical to me, unlike the hateful overreaction by the person "due April 10th."

You keep bringing this up. It seems to bother you. My son was born March 16th. I forgot about the subtitle and so I never changed it. :\ Shocking, I know.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    My son was born March 16th.

Congratulations :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    congrats4.gif
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    unlike the hateful overreaction by the person "due April 10th." Now, that's truly scary!

My post stemmed from my sensibility to how women should be treated honorably—

I see now that I was more than a bit overreactive.

am tired of all the B.S. with such a venomous response

obviously didn't take any time to think

Nirvana,

As I read your words, I could hear how much anger you had inside for the 'mistreatment' of Fede. People will always be terse with leadership, but hopefully the general appreciation of Federica's work will be louder than any pains she has from the difficulties. I think it would be more productive to show loving support of Fede directly, rather than attack when you feel someone has slighted her.

In your post, you seem to attribute your anger to Val, and it doesn't belong there. I don't normally cast out solid attributions, but in this case I can think of no better way to describe your behavior than the term "rude".

I hope you find some peace inside, and stop jabbing at your family because of your own hurt feelings. I say this with deep respect for you, that perhaps you've made a potent mistake. That's good though! With a little sideways listening, it shows your great appreciation and respect for the leadership on the board.

I remember how pissed I got at my couch one time when I stubbed my toe against it. I ranted and raved at this empty form, intent on blaming it for my carelessness. Obviously, the couch was just sitting there, doing its thing. I wish I could say that was long in my past, but it wasn't... actually, maybe I should go and apologize to the couch for my unskillful words. :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    My son was born March 16th. I forgot about the subtitle and so I never changed it.

Congrats! I bet you are a fantastic parent. Squeeze his cheeks for me if you would :lol:

With warmth,

Matt
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »

As I read your words, I could hear how much anger you had inside for the 'mistreatment' of Fede. People will always be terse with leadership, but hopefully the general appreciation of Federica's work will be louder than any pains she has from the difficulties.

mistreatment of Federica?? :confused::confused: Seriously Matt. Are you referring to the joke here? It was meant to be a very light-hearted joke... I'm clueless what you are implying here but if anyone is offended please accept my apology. Didn't mean to insult anyone
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I didn't mean in this thread, as your and val's posts in regards to the unrefreshing fede button seem good natured to me. I meant in general, as the seed for Nirvana's unhappiness could not possibly be located within that joke :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ohh thanks... Phew! I have been pretty clueless lately. Lack of sleep I guess :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Nirvana's unhappiness

:grin:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    :grin:

lol, it took me a minute to see the irony!

bwahaha
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ok everybody say to heck with it. Meditate or something and get back to life. Forgiving is recommended but optional.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Oh good job relighting the long-dead flame jeffrey lmao....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    good point I did not read the dates.. carry on We shall overcome!

Valtiel its like rubbernecking on the highway. My apologies
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    haha xD