Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Hunting

NewOneNewOne Explorer
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've only posted a couple of things since I'm new. But I'm having a problem with Buddhism and not hurting any living thing. I do Hunt and I've hunting since I was 12. It was never about getting the biggest trophy, it was always about feeding the family. Hunting was and still is cheaper than buying meat at the store. I enjoy the great outdoors and actually take more enjoyment out of walking around and seeing how close you can get to the game animal. I view hunting as providing for my family, not an enjoyment out of killing something. When I make poor shots it makes my angry. I don't want them to suffer. The last time I actually shot a buck was over five years ago. I just shoot the biggest doe cause I know that it will provide the most meat. I just want your guys opinion since I'm new. I know that Buddha didn't have any strict rules. I just feel that I might be "judged" being a buddhist and hunt. Maybe a oxoymoron? :confused:
[Deleted User]

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    New One I think you are right that you won't be excluded from buddhism. Of course you might come across some people who are critical. I think its good to think of these things in the context of your own wishes for happiness. You don't want the animals to suffer. You want to have affordable meat. You enjoy being outdoors (ok you didn't say that). As you begin to practice buddhism and meditate it may become less important to you to have the hobby and meat than it is to practice good shila and save the life of the animal. Or not. If you shoot a deer it does not mean you are going to get run over by a bus or go to hell. Necessarily :D. Though you may be criticized. I would just be honest and let people think what they wish.
  • NewOneNewOne Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Jeffrey, Yes I do enjoy the outdoors. I grew up an outdoorsman, being born in Montana my parents have pics of me less than a year old camping. I will just see how things go and you maybe right. The more I meditate and practice buddhism hunting may go to the way side. Just have to continue the journey.
    [Deleted User]
  • NewOneNewOne Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Anyone else have a different view point?
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Personally, I've always thought that if we are going to eat meat we should kill it ourselves.
    [Deleted User]
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like you're eating more mindfully and skillfully than most of us Buddhists. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    NewOne wrote: »
    Anyone else have a different view point?

I don't think you will or should be considered not a Buddhist, not that it matters.

But this thread is very different from the "masturbation" thread cracking-off in another part of the forum. In that case it is very unclear, but here with taking life, it is very clear.

We all get angry, we all crave things and commit divergences from the noble path, and all that. But again, hunting is different because you are intentionally going out to kill something.

I suggest if you decide you keep on hunting out of necessity and tradition then that is your decision and nobody should be able to judge you. But you should judge yourself on this and know that you are not in some philosophical loophole of Buddhism but directly and intentionally breaking a key precept of dharma. Be mindful of this and understand exactly the whys and whats of what is happening.

You may find in time that you decide for reasons of Dharma to give up hunting.

Good luck with your practice and your aim:)
    [Deleted User]
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited May 2010
    There are many Buddhists who eat meat, especially at higher elevations where protein is hard to come by. I'm sure up in the mountains, many Buddhists kill their own meat. From what I've read, if you must kill something to eat, it is far better to kill a large animal than several small animals.

For instance it's better to kill a cow, which will feel many people than to kill shrimp which takes many lives to feed one person. Other than that it would probably be good to say a prayer for the animal, when you kill it, and when you eat it.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    especially at higher elevations where protein is hard to come by. I'm sure up in the mountains, many Buddhists kill their own meat.
    that may be true but that doesn't make it right.

I could see an argument where the protein or food (if there were no other alternative available) would be necessary to save someone's life but other than that, killing is just wrong.
    [Deleted User]
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    that may be true but that doesn't make it right.

I could see an argument where the protein or food (if there were no other alternative available) would be necessary to save someone's life but other than that, killing is just wrong.

I have to agree with this. Forget about Buddhism; you don't have to refrain from anything just to be a better Buddhist. But if you have an alternative means of providing your family with the necessary nutrition, if there is no person there with some kind of sickness then I would stop hunting. It is not about religion; it's about doing the right thing.
    [Deleted User]
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I've never been a hunter (much to my father's dismay), but I used to enjoy fishing a lot. As I've become more attuned to the dharma and the N8FP, I've lost interest in fishing as well. I never fished because I had to in order to provide food for myself, I did it for the enjoyment of doing it. But as I realized the suffering I was causing to the fish (and to myself to some extent), my desire to do it gradually fell away. Sometimes I still think about it, but then I'll see something on TV about fishing, and it really comes home to me how much the idea is distasteful to me now. In fact, I was eating lunch today and the TV that was on in the restaurant (when did restaurants start requiring entertainment in addition to food?) was showing an outdoors show about bear hunting. I had to get up and move to another table so I couldn't see the program. It was making my appetite go away.

Mtns
    [Deleted User]
  • edited May 2010
    I remember seeing an article a while back about a Buddhist hunter. It was in one of the popular magazines like Tricycle or Buddhism Today or some such. Can't remember which or when, though, so it's probably not helpful.
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    no, can't kill anything intentionally and keep the first precept.
    [Deleted User]
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Oh no, don't want to break a Commandment... :p

Is it ok to knowingly unintentionally kill thousands of insects and small animals that will go to waste, for food (veggies/fruits)... but not to intentionally kill one for food (meat)?
    [Deleted User]
    edited May 2010
    is it?
    [Deleted User]
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    In my opinion it is the same thing. What is your opinion?
    [Deleted User]
  • NewOneNewOne Explorer
    edited May 2010
    I thought Buddha didn't have any commandments? Weren't they just "guidelines" So things work for some people and some dont. We each have our own path to enlightenment. Not one is the same. However everyone that is "awake'' "sees" all the same. I'm I right on this? I'm not drawing a line in the sand and saying that I wont give up Hunting. I'm keeping a open mind. It's just interesting to see people's opinions.
    [Deleted User]
    edited May 2010
    both are against vinaya... if you need to farm or hunt to live then live and do what you can on the path... it's better to live then to die.
    [Deleted User]R46624