Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

spell check?

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited May 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
For......non-precise typists and impressionistic spellers, there is a little spellcheck button. It leads to a site that downloads a program, but I cant get it to work. How do I get the spell check thingy to work. Thankyou.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I'm not aware of any spell check button built into the forum.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This leads to a website.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I don't have that in my reply box. Possibly because my laptop already has a spell-checker inbuilt into Microsoft....
    edited May 2010
    What browser are you using Richard? I definitely don't have that.
  • edited May 2010
    I make all sorts of spelling errors. It use to bug me but now I consider it my trade mark.
    And yes I am aware I spelled both dancing and lotus incorrectly :) It was intentional.

Oh and sorry , can't help you with your problem mines built in although it's full of errors it's self.
    edited May 2010
    Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    edited May 2010
    The spell check is functioning now after downloading the program.
    edited May 2010
    Here is how it looks.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    it should read;
    " ieSpell - English (U.K.)"

There's no such thing as English (U.S.)...!! :p:D
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    There's no such thing as English (U.S.)...!! :p:D
    That's right. Here in the US, we speak Merkan. ;-)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Not merkin?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Chellspeck is only for crutch-seekers. (He He, I coulda written crotch-seekers and spellcheck wouldn't have caught anything.:lol:) It's not the misspelling of a word that can make you look silly, it's more often the use of the wrong (correctly spelled) one in its place.

I've long admired Thomas Jefferson, who in the space of a paragraph would spell the same word in the same context in two or three different ways. Road (n) would alternately be spelled rode and road, for instance. On at least a couple occasions he was heard to complain of the narrow mindedness of a man who said there was only one correct way to spell a word.

Samuel Johnson's dictionary, published in 1755, predated Noah Webster's dictionary by 73 years ( a lifetime). In that time the Americans proved to be increasingly eclectic in their spelling. Arguably, Noah Webster can be given his due, but the singling of some double vowels where no dipthong or long vowel sound is discernable seems to me to be a reasonable development. The second syllable of "color" does not sound like tour, so why not write "color" instead of "colour?"

So it is with other phonetic/linguistic things too. It's the meaning that counts. All the rest is just window dressing. Sometimes we misunderstand, too, and then trying to get it all typed out aright and spelled nicely might be like having a blind man chart a map based on points of light.

Again, awkward as it may be to misspell at times, it's much more agreeable than using words wrongly. I should know. I do it all the time.

aMatt wrote: »
    Not merkin?
    I thought it was 'merkun'......:buck:
    edited May 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Chellspeck is only for crutch-seekers. (He He, I coulda written crotch-seekers and spellcheck wouldn't have caught anything.:lol:) It's not the misspelling of a word that can make you look silly, it's more often the use of the wrong (correctly spelled) one in its place.
    You are gratuitious smeerer of the poor spellers comunity. witch along with the atroshus typing comunity, and the pretenshus big word comunity, has bean able to intergrate into the manestream with the help of spell check. would you preferr emdless re-ditting of posts? i bkt hiy wpoools!

show some sensitifity.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yes Sir!:lol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    4s 10ng as u 313c7 2 no7 d0 7his 1 4m h4ppy
    edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I thought it was 'merkun'......:buck:
    Must be the Brit spelling. ;-)
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Not merkin?
    Merkins can't speak. But if you were to cross Boogie Nights and Look Who's Talking, you might end up with a romantic comedy starring a talking merkin.

But that just might be too high concept for its own good.
    edited May 2010
    It's not a feature indigenous to vBulletin as far as I know, but I'm glad you got it working.