Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking for a few Zen Koan practioners

johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hey all,

I have a small discussion board I made when I met the first person I've ever met in person who identifies as Buddhist. I created the site so we could have a place to grow together in our path of self discovery...

The goal was to eventually add others we came across to the site and broaden our groups collective wisdom...

Unfortunately we have had a few others join but who have never really embraced the idea and never post or even log in for that matter... we technically have 5 members but two never post and one who was quite active that has disappeared on us... So that leaves just me and my friend...

We have a few main broad topics (Buddhism, Taoism, Zen, Trans-Denominational and general) currently we are most active on working on Koans together... I'll put one out there, we'll take some time to meditate/contemplate them then share what we come up with then discuss each others findings further...

I don't have access to a Zen master to tell me where I need to meditate further on a koan that we might not have gotten the complete drift on so was hoping anyone with a Zen background and knowledge on the methods of Koan meditation might, if they feel they would have the time for yet another forum (albeit a very small one) to join and share their Zen wisdom with us and help us delve deeper into each koan than we can on our own.

My site is: www.mysangha.proboards.com

If you'd like to just pop in and visit without commitment to joining you can use the username: Guest and the Password: 123456

If You decide you'd like to join then feel free to register your own username...

I would ask that in Guest status you not reply to any threads other than in the board I will create called guest input... please add your newbuddhist username in any post so that I know who you are, thanks.

Anyone else reading this (Non Zen practitioners) feel free to visit... feel free to join as well if you'd like to take on a roll as "teacher" in the Buddhism board and perhaps throw out some threads once in a while to help us look at things in a way that we might not otherwise due to a lack of access to a Buddhist Master (please, only take on such a roll if you honestly have been a practitioner for some time and have a decent handle on Buddhism), also any interested in just joining to participate in our discussions feel free to drop in and join if like...

I also ask that people use their first name as a Username... we prefer to be on a first name basis, no "Digitalbuddhamonkeys" please...

Thanks in advance to anyone who shows some interest...

Comments

• edited May 2010
    "I don't have access to a Zen master to tell me where I need to meditate further on a koan that we might not have gotten the complete drift on so was hoping anyone with a Zen background and knowledge on the methods of Koan meditation might, if they feel they would have the time for yet another forum (albeit a very small one) to join and share their Zen wisdom with us and help us delve deeper into each koan than we can on our own."

Why bother to meditate on Koans? Don't you think it's a colossal waste of time?

nyuk nyuk nyuk...
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    obviously not... but thanks for bumping the topic...
  • edited May 2010
    "When Bodhidharma ma came to the East, he practiced in seclusion at Shao
    Lin Temple. The Second Patriarch Hui-ko went to him to ask about the
    Dharma. During a long night of heavy snow, Hui-ko stood outside Bodhidharma’s
    Ch’an hall waiting. The snow piled up to his knees, but Hui-ko did not
    budge, pleading Bodhidharma for his teachings.

Finally, Bodhidharma opened his eyes and asked, “What do you want
    standing here so long?" “Please, Master help me settle my mind”. “Give me
    your mind, I’ll settle it for you”. “But I cannot find my mind”. “I have already
    settled your mind for you completely”. Once Hui-ko discovered his deluded
    mind, it became settled."
    edited May 2010
    It is not the ordinary man who can
    bury his head in the snowy ridge,

Willing to give up the body for
    the Dharma.

It is only after bone-chilling cold

That one can become a king of
    the Dharma.
  • edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    It is not the ordinary man who can
    bury his head in the snowy ridge,

Willing to give up the body for
    the Dharma.

It is only after bone-chilling cold

That one can become a king of
    the Dharma.

Cool! (No pun intended.) I got my quote from Master Hsing Yun. He has a good e-book available free. "Cloud and Water". That's about as Ch'an as I feel I need to get.

JOKE: So are you suggesting I go stick my head in a snowbank?

I'm just suggesting it's possible to be overly analytic and discursive. I myself have no idea if the old woman was right or if the monk was right. Maybe he should at least have kissed the girl on the forehead. But I don't know. Which one of them is Buddha?

I myself am an enthusiastic student of the not-well-known-at-all American Master Jerome Howard. He and his brother and a friend did some unconventional works regarding Certainty. I think it's good stuff.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This was not given by a teacher, but shared by a more senior student. For some reason it had a real impact.
    • Hekiganroku, Case 29
      A monk asked Master Daizui:
    "When the great kalpa fire flares up, will it [the Ultimate, the Unconditioned, Emptiness] perish or not perish?"
    "Yes, it will perish."

"Will it be gone with the other?"

"Yes, it will be gone with the other." <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
    edited May 2010
    Not to be disrespectful but the OP was a request for anyone with enough experience with koans that they would be able to give some direction to a few people who otherwise have no source of direction. If someone wishes to open a thread to discuss koans I would gladly participate but I am looking to have someone tutor me and a few others in our own personal examinations of koans...

Richard, I believe this koan is questioning the destruction of the universe... when he refers to "it" he means our souls/spirit and by the other he means our bodies... the material and the immaterial, all will perish... It is a lesson of impermanence on a grand scale...
    edited May 2010
    Not to be disrespectful but the OP was a request for anyone with enough experience with koans that they would be able to give some direction to a few people who otherwise have no source of direction. If someone wishes to open a thread to discuss koans I would gladly participate but I am looking to have someone tutor me and a few others in our own personal examinations of koans...
    OK.
    Richard, I believe this koan is questioning the destruction of the universe... when he refers to "it" he means our souls/spirit and by the other he means our bodies... the material and the immaterial, all will perish... It is a lesson of impermanence on a grand scale...
    You are incorrect johnathan.

This...
    • Hekiganroku, Case 29
      A monk asked Master Daizui:
    "When the great kalpa fire flares up, will it [the Ultimate, the Unconditioned, Emptiness] perish or not perish?"

"Yes, it will perish."

"Will it be gone with the other?"

"Yes, it will be gone with the other."

is precisely how it was passed on to me. Just how it is. Now it is being passed on to you. take it or leave it as it is.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
  • edited May 2010
    :)
    edited May 2010
    BTW, anyone interested in Zen... here is a site that contains some 50+ free e-books on Zen by OSHO... By some of the titles he appears to be quite contravetial ( "God is Dead, Now Zen is the Only Living Truth" and "Christianity: The Deadliest Poison and Zen: The Antidote to All Poisons",
    edited May 2010
    BTW, anyone interested in Zen... here is a site that contains some 50+ free e-books on Zen by OSHO... By some of the titles he appears to be quite contravetial ( "God is Dead, Now Zen is the Only Living Truth" and "Christianity: The Deadliest Poison and Zen: The Antidote to All Poisons",

OSHO is not KOSHER.

If you want straight Zen find Charlotte Joko Beck.
    edited May 2010
    Lol... I looked through a few of his books and can see why... No wonder he gives his books away for free, no one would buy them...
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    edited May 2010
    These are the Koans I am working on... currently on #13...

http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/zenindex.html
  • edited May 2010
    These are the Koans I am working on... currently on #13...

http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/zenindex.html

What did you decide about #1?

1. A Cup of Tea

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself.

"It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"
    edited May 2010
    I will create another thread in Meditation to continue the discussion of individual koans.