Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A beginner's question: Origin of Life.

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
What is the origin of life from the Buddhistic point of view?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The key concern for Buddhism is suffering and the ending of suffering. Buddhism does not provide answers to "ultimate questions", it addresses suffering.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="60%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">" The Blessed One was once living at Kosambi in a wood of simsapa trees. He picked up a few leaves in his hand, and he asked the bhikkhus, ‘How do you conceive this, bhikkhus, which is more, the few leaves that I have picked up in my hand or those on the trees in the wood?
    ‘The leaves that the Blessed One has picked up in his hand are few, Lord; those in the wood are far more.’
    ‘So too, bhikkhus, the things that I have known by direct knowledge are more; the things that I have told you are only a few. Why have I not told them? Because they bring no benefit, no advancement in the Holy Life, and because they do not lead to dispassion, to fading, to ceasing, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbana. That is why I have not told them. And what have I told you? This is suffering; this is the origin of suffering; this is the cessation of suffering; this is the way leading to the cessation of suffering. That is what I have told you. Why have I told it? Because it brings benefit, and advancement in the Holy Life, and because it leads to dispassion, to fading, to ceasing, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbana. So bhikkhus, let your task be this: This is suffering; this is the origin of suffering; this is the cessation of suffering; this is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’
    [Samyutta Nikaya, LVI, 31]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

On a personal note it is worth looking at the relative nature of all such questions, the infinite regress and circular doubt involved in such questions.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha did not comment on such things because they are unconjecturable and not relevant to the path to the cessation of dukkha.
    edited May 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    The Buddha did not comment on such things because they are unconjecturable and not relevant to the path to the cessation of dukkha.
    BTW... I'm covetous of your avatar.
  • edited May 2010
    The key concern for Buddhism is suffering and the ending of suffering. Buddhism does not provide answers to "ultimate questions", it addresses suffering.

On a personal note it is worth looking at the relative nature of all such questions, the infinite regress and circular doubt involved in such questions.

If so, could Buddhism be called a religion? Or a philosophy?
  • edited May 2010

What is dukkha? Is it more than " suffering" ?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    juvenissun wrote: »
    well it doesn't really fit any of those so they call it a practice.

"investigating, experiencing and undestanding reality", which incidentally leads to ending all suffering.
    edited May 2010
    The answer I got from a Zen teacher to that question was "According to the tax collector we are a religion". :D
  • edited May 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    well it doesn't really fit any of those so they call it a practice.

"investigating, experiencing and undestanding reality", which incidentally leads to ending all suffering.

About the suffering:

Is death the end of suffering?
  • edited May 2010
    The answer I got from a Zen teacher to that question was "According to the tax collector we are a religion". :D

But what is it according to you? Religion? Philosophy? Practice? Or more than one of the above?

I probably flunk the zen on this one. But it is my question.
  • edited May 2010
    About the suffering:

In mainstream Buddhism, no. Then the answer to suffering would be to commit suicide. At least in mainstream Mahayana Buddhism, there is reincarnation until suffering "ceases".

Try this link: http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    About the suffering:

well sort of.
    not physical death but the death of what most non Buddhist call their self (your identity, your personality...).
    Or at least to stop identifying with the illusion of the "self".

A common saying in Buddhism is: "To die before death is the best thing that can happen to you"

it is difficult to explain as there is necessary knowledge that you need to grasp in order to understand.

so... read on about Buddhism if you are interested!

There are many excellent books suggestion threads on the forum.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010

Buddhism will tell you the origin of suffering
    edited May 2010
    But what is it according to you? Religion? Philosophy? Practice? Or more than one of the above?

I probably flunk the zen on this one. But it is my question.

I'm OK with religion, because it isn't just about ideas, it is about ideas as means in a practice, a discipline. There is a commitment involved. It means giving up something.
  • edited May 2010
    well sort of.
    not physical death but the death of what most non Buddhist call their self (your identity, your personality...).
    Or at least to stop identifying with the illusion of the "self".

A common saying in Buddhism is: "To die before death is the best thing that can happen to you"

it is difficult to explain as there is necessary knowledge that you need to grasp in order to understand.

so... read on about Buddhism if you are interested!

There are many excellent books suggestion threads on the forum.

Are you talking about the process of reincarnation? i.e. after reincarnated, you are still you, but you are not you any more?
  • edited May 2010
    I'm OK with religion, because it isn't just about ideas, it is about ideas as means in a practice, a discipline. There is a commitment involved. It means giving up something.

Is the reincarnation a basic doctrine (process) to all branches of Buddhism?
  • edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Buddhism will tell you the origin of suffering

What is that? I think it is important.
  • edited May 2010

Sorry, if I want to read all the info online, I won't be here.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Are you talking about the process of reincarnation? i.e. after reincarnated, you are still you, but you are not you any more?
    yes, rebirth.

but not necessarily rebirth after your physical body die.
    rebirth is happening at every moments.
    as far as i know yes.
    but again, probably not the rebirth as you understand it.

read this, it will clear out many questions you have, and some that you may have after learning a bit more.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_The_Danger_of_I.htm
  • edited May 2010
    Buddhism taught only the origin of suffering? Since when?

Buddhism has PLENTY to say about the nature of reality.

What happened to the Three Marks of Existence, Emptiness, Dependent Co-Arising, Non-Self, the 5 Aggregates, 6 sense bases, and many other precepts describing existence.

However, Buddhism does not say there is an origin of the world. It's beginningless as others have said.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010

no.
    Reincarnation is a premise held uniquely by Mahayana Buddhism, and specifically by Tibetan Buddhism.
    But only the most elevated - some would say enlightened - lamas are party to reincarnation.
    An 'enlightened' Lama can decide the location of his reincarnation, and the emanation of his consciousness is born into a new human being.

Not a carbon copy, not a genetically-identical duplicate. Another being, with their own consciousness and identity.

This person is known as a 'Tulku', and is usually located by the deceased Lama's closest followers. He is then brought back to the monastery and brought up, educated and embraced as the reincarnated conciousness of the previous Lama. Upon reaching maturity, he is enthroned as the successive lama.
    What is that? I think it is important.

It's all in the 4 Noble Truths. The very first, original and fundamentally the most important teaching the Buddha ever gave.
    There's loads of info on the net about these.
    Please feel free to research them. I recommend it.
  • edited May 2010
    Regarding rebirth:

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." - the Buddha

Source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg54.htm

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    What happened to the Three Marks of Existence, Emptiness, Dependent Co-Arising, Non-Self, the 5 Aggregates, 6 sense bases, and many other precepts describing existence.
    you do realize that the OP is just beginning to find out about Buddhism right?

or was your reply to get back at another member? ;)
  • edited May 2010
    you do realize that the OP is just beginning to find out about Buddhism right?

He asked what Buddhism says about the origin of life. People gave the misleading answer that Buddhism only teaches about suffering. It is false to say that Buddhism has NOTHING to say about the nature of reality.

or was your reply to get back at another member? ;)

No.

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010

Since: "What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering." Since he saw all things were dukkha and sought the unconditioned peace of Nibbana. That was the entire motivation of his path. All of what you just mentioned, is of dukkha, its origin, its cessation. Absolutely all of it. That is the purpose of all of his teachings. If it doesn't have anything to do with dukkha, you won't find him babbling about it.
  • edited May 2010
    Since: "What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering."

Sure, maybe that was what he taught as the theme of that discourse. I doubt he said that to summarize his entire teachings. He sought Enlightenment and to be awakened. Awakened to supreme understanding. His name means "Enlightened One" not the "Unsuffering One."
    Since he saw all things were dukkha and sought the unconditioned peace of Nibbana. That was the entire motivation of his path. All of what you just mentioned, is of dukkha, its origin, its cessation. Absolutely all of it. That is the purpose of all of his teachings. If it doesn't have anything to do with dukkha, you won't find him babbling about it.

Do you honestly think that Buddha didn't care about understanding the nature of reality and existence at all? Sure, it is true that right view, right understanding is part of the path to cease suffering. But I don't, for one second, think that Buddha only cared about the nature of reality because he wanted to stop suffering.

I would say he had a genuine interest in it, in and of itself as well as realizing that it was necessary to cease suffering.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Sure, maybe that was what he taught as the theme of that discourse. I doubt he said that to summarize his entire teachings. He sought Enlightenment and to be awakened. Awakened to supreme understanding. His name means "Enlightened One" not the "Unsuffering One."
    he sought enlightenment to understand the origin and cessation of suffering. Up to that point, he didn't get it.
    Every single one of his teachings drives back to the 4NT.
    The very reason he attained the name of "Awakened one" was because he got it.
    Nobody else seemed to.
    The moment he became enlightened, he ceased to suffer.
    All the remainder, came afterwards.

Do you honestly think that Buddha didn't care about understanding the nature of reality and existence at all? Sure, it is true that right view, right understanding is part of the path to cease suffering. But I don't, for one second, think that Buddha only cared about the nature of reality because he wanted to stop suffering.
    What other reason can you think of?
    I would say he had a genuine interest in it, in and of itself as well as realizing that it was necessary to cease suffering.

You would hypothesise, you mean.... so please explain....What possible interest would anyone have about it, if not to use that knowledge to end suffering?
    Once you have realised this interest leads you to end suffering - what other reason do you need?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sure, maybe that was what he taught as the theme of that discourse. I doubt he said that to summarize his entire teachings.

"What I teach now as before..."...

As he taught, one who sees D.O. sees the Dhamma, and one who sees the Dhamma sees D.O. - which is an illustration of "the entire mass of suffering."

Again, all of the teachings you mentioned go back to the 4NTs, they're all related to the origin/cessation of dukkha.
    His name means "Enlightened One" not the "Unsuffering One."

He chose to call himself the "tathagata" which means "one who has thus come/gone."
    He sought Enlightenment and to be awakened.

"Enlightenment" is not a concept found in the suttas. Some people translate words such as "buddha" and "nibbana" as "enlightened/enlightenment"; this is in error.

"Straight ahead, your majesty, by the foothills of the Himalayas, is a country consummate in energy & wealth, inhabited by Kosalans: Solar by clan, Sakyans by birth. From that lineage I have gone forth, but not in search of sensual pleasures. Seeing the danger in sensual pleasures — and renunciation as rest — I go to strive. That's where my heart delights." -Snp III.1

"Subject to birth, subject to aging, subject to death, run-of-the-mill people are repelled by those who suffer from that to which they are subject. And if I were to be repelled by beings subject to these things, it would not be fitting for me, living as they do.' As I maintained this attitude — knowing the Dhamma without acquisitions — I overcame all intoxication with health, youth, & life as one who sees renunciation as rest. For me, energy arose, Unbinding was clearly seen. There's now no way I could partake of sensual pleasures. Having followed the holy life, I will not return. " -AN 3.38
    Awakened to supreme understanding.

Awakened to the Dhamma. And "the Dhamma" has been previously defined.

You can think whatever you want. But there's no indication he sought it for shits and giggles.

You're free to back up your theories.

:confused:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The origin of life from the Buddhistic point of view is the elements or dhatu.

:)
    edited May 2010

Isn't that a proximate answer? Shall we ask where the elements originate?

Why of all the facets and characteristics of "reality" pick out Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta? Because they are most really real? or because contemplating them serves the end?

Why have any answer about the nature of anything, even in part, except for the sense of completeness it brings, if only for a moment?
  • edited May 2010
    You're free to back up your theories.

"...one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him." - Buddha

Source: http://www.zmeditation.com/thoughts-of-the-masters-buddha.html

"The two young Brahmans said: 'If thou knowest the way show it to us.'

And the Buddha said: 'The Tathagata sees the universe face to face and understands its nature.'"

Source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg50.htm

edited May 2010
    Isn't that a proximate answer? Shall we ask where the elements originate?
    The Buddha did not ask such questions. He simply advised the source was elements.

But to realise all things are comprised of elements is the same as realising emptiness.

Elements are void of self.
    Emptiness = void of self
    Elements = Emptiness
    Emptiness = Elements
    Form = Void
    Void = Form
    Feeling = Void
    Void = Feeling
    etc
    BudDha wrote:

Bhikkhus, sensual thoughts arise with a source, not without a source; thought of ill will arises with a source, not without a source; thought of harming arises with a source, not without a source. And how is this so?

In dependence on the sensuality element there arises sensual perception; in dependence on the sensual perception there arises sensual intention; in dependence on the sensual intention there arises sensual desire; in dependence on the sensual desire there arises sensual passion; in dependence on the sensual passion there arises a sensual quest. Engaged in a sensual quest, the uninstructed worldling conducts himself wrongly in three ways - with body, speech and mind.

In dependence on the ill will element there arises perception of ill will...

In dependence on the cruelty element there arises perception of harming...

In dependence on the renunciation element there arises perception of renunciation...

In dependence on the non-ill will element there arises perception of non-ill will...

In dependence on the harmlessness element there arises perception of harmlessness. In dependence on the perception of harmlessness there arises intention of harmlessness; in dependence on intention of harmlessness there arises desire for harmlessness; in dependence on desire for harmlessness there arises passion for harmlessness; in dependence on passion for harmlessness there arises a sensual quest. Engaged in a quest for harmlessness, the instructed noble disciple conducts himself rightly in three ways - with body, speech and mind.

SN 14.12

edited May 2010
    Why of all the facets and characteristics of "reality" pick out Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta? Because they are most really real? or because contemplating them serves the end?
    Elements serves the end.

The Buddha said in MN 115 that a wise person is skilled in the elements, skilled in the sense bases and skilled in dependent origination; that it is impossible for a person with right view to regard any formation as permanent, possessing lasting happiness and as self.

• edited May 2010

However, Buddhism does not say there is an origin of the world. It's beginningless as others have said.

If it does not say, then you should not say it is "beginningless". Beginningless IS an idea of origin.
  • edited May 2010
    If it does not say, then you should not say it is "beginningless". Beginningless IS an idea of origin.

What I implied by that statement is that there is no origin and there is no beginning.

• edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    It's all in the 4 Noble Truths. The very first, original and fundamentally the most important teaching the Buddha ever gave.
    There's loads of info on the net about these.
    Please feel free to research them. I recommend it.

Could you name them? Hope it does not take many words. You do not have to explain them. (reminder: these 4 truths explain the origin of suffering)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Could you name them? Hope it does not take many words. You do not have to explain them. (reminder: these 4 truths explain the origin of suffering)

I suggest having a look at MN 28:
    Friends, just as the footprints of all legged animals are encompassed by the footprint of the elephant, and the elephant's footprint is reckoned the foremost among them in terms of size; in the same way, all skillful qualities are gathered under the four noble truths. Under which four? Under the noble truth of stress, under the noble truth of the origination of stress, under the noble truth of the cessation of stress, and under the noble truth of the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.
  • edited May 2010
    I hope you all won't think I'm a turd for dropping this in here and then not coming back tonight- but this should spice things up- the rendition of the Heart Sutra is my own, done for my teenage son-

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.
    Clarity.
    So it is.”
  • edited May 2010
    He asked what Buddhism says about the origin of life. People gave the misleading answer that Buddhism only teaches about suffering. It is false to say that Buddhism has NOTHING to say about the nature of reality.

So, what kind of "nature of reality" are you referring to? How does any reality indicate the origin of a person?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha said a beginning is "not evident." He said it's "inconstruable." These questions are "unconjecturable." juvenissun makes a good point and distinction.
  • edited May 2010
    I hope you all won't think I'm a turd for dropping this in here and then not coming back tonight- but this should spice things up- the rendition of the Heart Sutra is my own, done for my teenage son-

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

Very nice. I always refer back to the Heart Sutra when contemplating the true nature of reality.

• edited May 2010

How did the elements make life? Was I an element or elements?
  • edited May 2010
    So, what kind of "nature of reality" are you referring to? How does any reality indicate the origin of a person?

Very well then. I misinterpreted "origin of life" as "origin of the world."

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    What is dukkha? Is it more than " suffering" ?

The commentaries define dukkha as "that which is hard to bear."
  • edited May 2010
    How did the elements make life? Was I an element or elements?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but as far as I'm aware, Buddhism accepts what science has to say about scientific matters. Currently, science (which doesn't necessarily have to refer to the mainstream science, there's alternative scientists as well), says that life originated from a process called abiogenesis. The process of life spawning from matter by way of the first self-replicating molecule that became increasingly complex.

• edited May 2010
    The Buddha did not ask such questions. He simply advised the source was elements.

But to realise all things are comprised of elements is the same as realising emptiness.

Elements are void of self.
    Emptiness = void of self
    Elements = Emptiness
    Emptiness = Elements
    Form = Void
    Void = Form
    Feeling = Void
    Void = Feeling
    etc

So you are saying that life (and human) comes from emptiness.

Is there any substance (atom or basic particles) in that emptiness?
  • edited May 2010
    What I implied by that statement is that there is no origin and there is no beginning.

Anywhere in any Buddhism book said that?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "...one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him." - Buddha

Source: http://www.zmeditation.com/thoughts-of-the-masters-buddha.html

"The two young Brahmans said: 'If thou knowest the way show it to us.'

And the Buddha said: 'The Tathagata sees the universe face to face and understands its nature.'"

Source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg50.htm

When I asked you to back up your theory that the Buddha held a pointless interest in the nature of the universe and taught about it outside the context of suffering, I was asking for actual sutta references. Attributing words to the Buddha without providing an actual source and putting the word TRANSLATION "enlightenment" in bold when it could have been translated from the pali for "dog shit" or just pulled entirely out of thin air doesn't impress me much.
  • edited May 2010
    Anywhere in any Buddhism book said that?

From Buddhanet.net (http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda03.htm):

"What does the Buddha say about the origin of the universe?

It is interesting that the Buddha's explanation of the origin of the universe corresponds very closely to the scientific view. In the Aganna Sutta, the Buddha describes the universe being destroyed and then re-evolving into its present form over a period of countless millions of years. The first life formed on the surface of the water and again, over countless millions of years, evolved from simple into complex organisms. All these processes are without beginning or end and are set in motion by natural causes."

Here's the Sutta which is referred to: http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/AggannaSutta.pdf

• edited May 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    I suggest having a look at MN 28:
    Friends, just as the footprints of all legged animals are encompassed by the footprint of the elephant, and the elephant's footprint is reckoned the foremost among them in terms of size; in the same way, all skillful qualities are gathered under the four noble truths. Under which four? Under the noble truth of stress, under the noble truth of the origination of stress, under the noble truth of the cessation of stress, and under the noble truth of the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.

So, what is the origin of stress?