Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Illusory?..

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've heard that buddhism is well grounded in concepts suggesting that life, reality or perhaps it's perception is an illusion. I'm unsure as to how deep the roots of that claim are founded in the first place, but i've been thinking about it nonetheless. Does this refer to the discriminative mind's subjective labelling of objects? Or objects themselves as the illusion? I'm aware that a couch is just a cluster of comfy atoms, and am also aware that the only value to which i assign the couch is meaured mainly in the tactile feeling of comfort i percieve when I hedonistically plonk myself on it, so is the couch not then a projected subjective illusion or desire of my body? Am i creating the couch from my perceptions? Of these things, I am also aware that this is nothing but frivolous raving.. Equal to the parable of the poor fella with the arrow protruding from his body, who demanded details or the shooter, make and length of arrow etc.. so you need not reply if you feel it's not dignifiable with response.. It's just been on my mind for a long time, and i'm growing restless with it. Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I just had another thought. Is it said that things are illusory because of their impermanent nature. As in..mm.. Only something that exists for eternity exists and therefore all impermanent objects which arise, breakdown and perish or have a beginning and cessation are to be considered as dissolveable as an illusion itself? .. hm.. sorry..
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Edifice wrote: »
    I've heard that buddhism is well grounded in concepts suggesting that life, reality or perhaps it's perception is an illusion. I'm unsure as to how deep the roots of that claim are founded in the first place, but i've been thinking about it nonetheless. Does this refer to the discriminative mind's subjective labelling of objects? Or objects themselves as the illusion? I'm aware that a couch is just a cluster of comfy atoms, and am also aware that the only value to which i assign the couch is meaured mainly in the tactile feeling of comfort i percieve when I hedonistically plonk myself on it, so is the couch not then a projected subjective illusion or desire of my body? Am i creating the couch from my perceptions? Of these things, I am also aware that this is nothing but frivolous raving.. Equal to the parable of the poor fella with the arrow protruding from his body, who demanded details or the shooter, make and length of arrow etc.. so you need not reply if you feel it's not dignifiable with response.. It's just been on my mind for a long time, and i'm growing restless with it. Thanks.:confused:

Some Buddhists believe that the external reality is an illusion dependent on the subject.

Others believe that there is a real world out there independent of the subject.

Dharama is compatible with both views, I think.

What all paths of Buddhism lead to is about the very real illusionary nature of the ego, the damage it does and the time it wastes.

Hope that explains a bit!

namaste
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think you will find that many Buddhists acknowledge the delusion rather than the illusion. The latter is found, as a 'doctrine', by some branches of Hinduism, whereas Buddhism is more interested in how we delude ourselves (easily done) about the reality of world.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010
    ...whereas Buddhism is more interested in how we delude ourselves about the reality of world....

... and the illusionary nature of ourselves.

We kinda delude ourselves about the illusionary ego. Double whammy!
  • edited June 2010
    Before I came into Buddhism, I already accepted the holographic paradigm based on the works of physicist David Bohm and psychologist Karl Pribram.

The premise of the holographic paradigm is thus:

- That the universe is in some sense a holographic structure
    - That consciousness is dependent on holographic structure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_paradigm

Now, this understanding is how I understand the illusory reality concept in Buddhism.

I don't agree with others notions that the world is an illusion because things are impermanent and arise and decay, or that things are interconnected and don't have a isolated existence. I agree with these precepts, but I don't agree that they are the reason existence is illusory.

I think the Buddhist notion of Emptiness makes this clear. As Bodhidharma said, "All existence is empty." The fundamental "stuff" that makes up the Universe isn't solid, isn't physical, isn't real, it is holographic, or in Buddhist terms, Empty.

As noted in my signature: "A wise man, recognizing that the world is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, so he escapes the suffering." - the Buddha

• edited June 2010
    There is also Chih-ih's Middle Way, between the extremes of total illusion and total existence. It is his method for dealing with the contradictions of either extreme view.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I just had another thought. Is it said that things are illusory because of their impermanent nature. As in..mm.. Only something that exists for eternity exists and therefore all impermanent objects which arise, breakdown and perish or have a beginning and cessation are to be considered as dissolveable as an illusion itself? .. hm.. sorry..

Aren't your memories of childhood illusory or unreal?

How about last year, yesterday or this morning?

What about a moment ago?

The only thing you can experience is the now. Everything else is just like a bubble or illusion. At least your body appears more permanent.
    Form is like a glob of foam;
    feeling, a bubble;
    perception, a mirage;
    fabrications, a banana tree;
    consciousness, a magic trick —
    this has been taught
    by the Kinsman of the Sun.
    However you observe them,
    appropriately examine them,
    they're empty, void
    to whoever sees them
    appropriately.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.095.than.html
  • edited June 2010
    - That the universe is in some sense a holographic structure
    - That consciousness is dependent on holographic structure

I think the Buddhist notion of Emptiness makes this clear. As Bodhidharma said, "All existence is empty." The fundamental "stuff" that makes up the Universe isn't solid, isn't physical, isn't real, it is holographic, or in Buddhist terms, Empty.

I really like that. I would just add:

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.
    Clarity.
    So it is.”
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think in the end it all boils down to this: we will understand once we are enlightened.

And until we have experienced this for ourselves, trying to understand it intellectually doesn't really cut it. For example: if you have never sneezed, try to understand it by having someone explain it to you ... you'll never really get the full import, the full magnificence of a sneeze.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited June 2010
    In Buddha Dharma, the Buddha say the phenomena world we see manifest Like an illusion , ( not an illusion as taught by those brahmaism schools ) , it is like the flash of lighting, the bubbles in water , the draw of lights when we swing the flame around quickly etc

but do not think that they are mere empty or illusion, just place your hand at the door and slamp it - you will feel the real pain , the suffering is real my friends

hence the great teacher Tientai ( chi-i ) taught about the 3 truths of our reality , the truth of emptiness, the truth of temporary existence and the truth of the middle way
    Only seeing our reality from the 3 different angles at the same time, we are then able to grasp the reality
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I've heard that buddhism is well grounded in concepts suggesting that life, reality or perhaps it's perception is an illusion. I'm unsure as to how deep the roots of that claim are founded in the first place, but i've been thinking about it nonetheless. Does this refer to the discriminative mind's subjective labelling of objects? Or objects themselves as the illusion?
    Hi

I would say it refers to perception. However, there is a very close relationship between perception & objects.
    Mt Kosciusko is obviously something very substantial. But its existence is dependent on mind, both in terms of consciousness (seeing, touching) & perception (labelling).

So when either or both consciousness & perception cease, the illusory quality occurs.

Subjectively, the object ceases to be (although objectively, it remains).

The illusory quality happens to the mind. It is something mental.
    I'm aware that a couch is just a cluster of comfy atoms, and am also aware that the only value to which i assign the couch is meaured mainly in the tactile feeling of comfort i percieve when I hedonistically plonk myself on it, so is the couch not then a projected subjective illusion or desire of my body? Am i creating the couch from my perceptions?
    Basically, yes. But the couch is still useful.

:)
    Form is like a glob of foam;
    feeling, a bubble;
    perception, a mirage;
    thought fabrications, a banana tree [with no inner substance];
    consciousness, a magic trick —
    this has been taught
    by the Kinsman of the Sun.
    However you observe them,
    appropriately examine them,
    they're empty, void
    to whoever sees them
    appropriately.

Phena Sutta
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2010

Indeed. No need to say 'sorry'.

The Buddha was primarily concerned with letting go or non-clinging for this is the state of non-suffering.

As for existence & non-existence, the Buddha spoke as follows:
    ...when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle:

Kaccayanagotta Sutta

:)
  • edited June 2010

Per the philosophy of Dharmakirti: Reductive analysis demonstrates the conceptual illusory nature of physical (composite) phenomenon. (paraphrased) An example he used was a water-jug. If what we perceive - that which is conceptually referred to as - a water-jug was suddenly thrust to the ground our (temporal) conception of water-jug has now vanished and been (temporally) replaced by a mass of jumbled shards, which in turn could be further reduced ...ad nausum until reached, what he viewed as, "ultimate reality": an irreducible "singularity" which all composite existence derive from..thus effectively rendering them an illusory product of "conventional reality".
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think its how we construct a world out of pure spacious ground of thought: I'm thinking of the beach at barbados, of what I will eat for lunch, of that jerk I hope I don't have to deal with them, of how I can't stand this tension and I need a drink...

All those thoughts create a reality in which we actually go to barbados, eat lunch, avoid the jerk, and get drunk...

But those thoughts from which the reality emerged are actually very spacious... And they create a world that seems very concrete through karma I guess? Anyhow been listening to Pema Chodron. If you want more on this topic try her book, Start Where You Are...

Bodhicitta is a seed of space (shunyata) and warmth (compassion)
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks for all your help. I see it is too perplexing a topic beyond the abilities of my fathom. I'll just do as Buddha says and relinquish such thoughts of frivolity. Thanks again, and sorry to waste your time..
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for all your help. I see it is too perplexing a topic beyond the abilities of my fathom. I'll just do as Buddha says and relinquish such thoughts of frivolity. Thanks again, and sorry to waste your time..

How can we 'waste' time when time itself is a delusion that we create to explain why one damn thing appears to happen after another? Reflecting on, and seeing through, how we create our delusions allows us to see the "gaps" in our picture, the space between our thoughts of which Sogyal Rinpoche writes.
  • edited June 2010

How can we 'waste' time when time itself is a delusion that we create to explain why one damn thing appears to happen after another? Reflecting on, and seeing through, how we create our delusions allows us to see the "gaps" in our picture, the space between our thoughts of which Sogyal Rinpoche writes.

Amen.

To the OP, I think the whole illusion thing is insignificant. It's like 2 guys yelling at each other, one saying "the yin yang is made of a black symbol on a white circle" and the other insists "no! its obviously a white symbol on a black circle!!" None of that matters though, the yin yang just is. I think some teachers suggest viewing the world as illusion to show people that what they always took dead seriously doesn't really matter
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited June 2010
    On the physical level, one can prove fairly conclusively based on our knowledge of atomic physics that somewhere around 99.999999999999999999% of all matter is composed of empty space (the space between sub-atomic particles). So what's real and what's not? If a vanishingly small percentage of everything "solid" isn't really solid at all, is it real?

Mtns
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Om.