Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Teaching Others

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've been reading the Diamond Sutra, and the Buddha stresses several times that...well I'll quote it. Though it's a translation.

"If a good man or good woman studies this discourse only so far as to recieve and retain four lines, and teaches and explains them to others, the consequent merit would be far greater."

Far greater than giving away a huuuge amount of jewels to the poor, basically.

So this says to me that if I help just one person on their path to enlightenment, that would be a greater thing to do than if I were to somehow solve world hunger. Is this an accurate conclusion?

I think this sutra goes over my head. Or maybe I just don't understand the significance of it. I've only so far read books intended for Westerners on topics.

And I guess my real question is this: being of very limited knowledge and understanding on topics of Buddhism, is it wise of me to try and pass this knowledge on to others? Does that create merit, or is it just foolishness? The more I try to talk to others about Buddhism, the more it seems to me that one must have an eye opening experience on their own. Before that, we can't see past samsara. I don't know... any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Cristina

Comments

• edited June 2010
    There's a line, somewhere. We want to transmit the Dharma and help others, but if we inaccurately portray the teachings it will not be helpful (not permanently unhelpful, as for sure others will see other opinions as well).

If your understanding is good and in accord with what traditions hold and long-practicing Buddhists also say, then there is some room for conveying them in your own words rather than going to the trouble of quoting texts or things that have been said by teachers in the past.

Just use good judgment, that's all. We can learn and teach simultaneously if we are mindful. :)

Namaste
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Cristina,

Your post makes a lot of sense, and the questions you're asking are great! Its wonderful that you're looking at the best ways to help others, and wondering when to learn and when to teach.

My interpretation of that particular sutta is that Buddha is saying that to help someone along the path of developing mindfulness is better than handing them money, because money can very directly lead to clinging and fear, whereas the teachings of the Buddha lead to ultimate happiness. In your example of world hunger, I don't think it is so dramatic as to exclude such a big, compassionate undertaking. It would be better to teach the world four lines of the suttas, however, than lets say... buy everyone in the world a nice fancy suit or give them jewels.

I heard the Dalai Lama say once that it is better to give education to the poor than money, because education is what they need in order to cultivate a better life for themselves. Does that make sense?

As far as teaching Buddhist ideas, I think its better to wait until you understand them. If you look at your own study and meditation as a means to become more clear and loving toward others, then you are already cultivating merit. Pema Chodron said in a talk once that when we first learn some of the exciting truths in the teachings, we tend to go around and accidentally beat people up with them. Because we aren't skillful in seeing where people are at, we assume everyone can see the truth we see... which just isn't how it works :).

Its better to meditate, become clear seeing, and then you'll be able to see directly what is appropriate and when. Of course, if you see someone in distress, ask them if they'd like your opinion or your perspective, but don't go around with the intent of teaching others. When its time for that, it will happen without needing to look, you'll be looking already and will see it is time.

Welcome to the board by the way, its great to have you.

With warmth,

Matt
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    This is a Mahayana sutta so I won't really comment on it; there are many well-versed Mahayana practitioners here who I'm sure will clarify.

In the Pali Canon, though, there are instances in which the Buddha is misrepresented, his teachings misconstrued, to which he states: "Yet you foolish man, on account of your wrong view, you misrepresent me as well as destroy yourself and accumulate much demerit, for which you suffering for a long time" [MN 22] or similar.
    And I guess my real question is this: being of very limited knowledge and understanding on topics of Buddhism, is it wise of me to try and pass this knowledge on to others?
    There's no harm in discussing your understanding amongst Buddhists... it's how you learn and grow. But, if you're trying to pass along information which you have a "very limited knowledge and understanding" of to others, it probably isn't so wise, mostly because you can't explain something you don't really understand. ;D
  • edited June 2010
    "So this says to me that if I help just one person on their path to enlightenment, that would be a greater thing to do than if I were to somehow solve world hunger. Is this an accurate conclusion?"

Does the sutra say that? The version I read, at

http://www.diamond-sutra.com/diamond_sutra_text/page8.html

is not clear on this.

I would think that if you solved world hunger, you would give a lot of beings the opportunity to study the sutras and Buddhism and therefore work toward enlightenment.

I don't think it's an accurate conclusion. Realistically speaking, you would be able to teach the Diamond Sutra and work on the issue of hunger at a practical level- that is, the two are not mutually exclusive. So it's not a realistic hypothetical.

This is just my opinion as someone who has considered himself Mahayana for roughly 45 years- I myself would work on the hunger issue, and that would not rule out being able to teach Dharma, so really I would do both.

For me personally at least, it's not an accurate conclusion. I don't believe that the hypothetical you present would ever actually happen. You have an opportunity in this lifetime by way of having been born in a "precious human existence", so you have the opportunity to both teach Dharma and work on charity toward other people.
  • edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    This is a Mahayana sutta so I won't really comment on it; there are many well-versed Mahayana practitioners here who I'm sure will clarify.

In the Pali Canon, though, there are instances in which the Buddha is misrepresented, his teachings misconstrued, to which he states: "Yet you foolish man, on account of your wrong view, you misrepresent me as well as destroy yourself and accumulate much demerit, for which you suffering for a long time" [MN 22] or similar.

There's no harm in discussing your understanding amongst Buddhists... it's how you learn and grow. But, if you're trying to pass along information which you have a "very limited knowledge and understanding" of to others, it probably isn't so wise, mostly because you can't explain something you don't really understand. ;D

This is the scriptural advice that I prefer and find to be the most accurate and relevant to the real world, and it is mirrored in the Vajrayana tradition which is heavily dependent upon the authentic credibility of the teacher and the student.
    We shouldnt take on a teaching role unless we are absolutely certain of our capacity to do so.
    The teacher-student relationship is a profound and intimate experience that should only be entered into when both parties are completely ready for it.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts!

I guess I hadn't considered that the comparison was between giving riches and giving teachings. Solving world hunger is certainly more meritorious than giving out copious amounts of jewels. :D

And on the second bit, about trying to teach others... I'm not saying I would ever take on the role of teacher for someone who really wanted to learn. I'd definitely point them to, well idk, some resource that I knew to be solid. I guess I just, as much as I can remember to, try to look at my daily experiences through the lenses of Buddhism, so to speak. And I see someone acting a certain way, or I hear them say something...like for example, I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone the other night, and she was distressed because the 2 year old girl that was going to be her flower girl had drowned. Not a reletive, but a daughter of a close friend of her fiance's. And she said things like, "2 year old girls aren't supposed to die." And I listened to her, and allowed some space to grow, felt some compassion, and then I told her that maybe coming in close contact with this death can help her to better appreciate her own life, that she hadn't died when she was 2, that I didn't die when I was 2, and to also realize that we don't know what is coming next, what will happen, so let's enjoy and make the most of this precious life while we have it. She said it didn't make her feel better. I think I get so caught up in my way of thinking, that I forget what it's like for people who haven't spent a long time contemplating such issues. What I intend to be a gentle reminder about the way things are turns into a weird, unhelpful comment that just bounces off of them.

And I guess, Matt, that's kind of what you were saying about becoming clear seeing. I suppose if I had really allowed enough space to develop, had really taken a clear look, I would have generated a more appropriate response. And I mean, I realize I can't magically help people, even if I do 100% the right things. Someone's pain is their own, and I am not responsible for it.

Anyway, I guess over time I will learn to communicate better with people. It's really kind of amazing, in the moments I relax and just look at people the way they are without projecting anything onto them. They often look so fragile, so human, so much like me. I think looking in this way will help me to communicate better. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Cristina wrote: »
    And I guess, Matt, that's kind of what you were saying about becoming clear seeing. I suppose if I had really allowed enough space to develop, had really taken a clear look, I would have generated a more appropriate response. And I mean, I realize I can't magically help people, even if I do 100% the right things. Someone's pain is their own, and I am not responsible for it.

Exactly. Except its not really 'you' that generates the response, by getting your own views out of the way your compassion would take over.

When people are experiencing tremendous grief, it is usually not helpful to offer "new perspectives" unless they are actively seeking them, because their mind is already filled with thoughts. Often most of their pain is the rushing amount of thoughts... adding more can feel invalidating. In my experience, that is.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    When people are experiencing tremendous grief, it is usually not helpful to offer "new perspectives" unless they are actively seeking them, because their mind is already filled with thoughts. Often most of their pain is the rushing amount of thoughts... adding more can feel invalidating. In my experience, that is.

Oh I've never thought about that before! I do know how painful thoughts can be, and I have many times experienced being overwhelmed when I try to add too many new thoughts to the mix, even if they are good, solid perspectives. Thank you for the insight. :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    ....and then I told her that maybe coming in close contact with this death can help her to better appreciate her own life, that she hadn't died when she was 2, that I didn't die when I was 2, and to also realize that we don't know what is coming next, what will happen, so let's enjoy and make the most of this precious life while we have it. She said it didn't make her feel better. I think I get so caught up in my way of thinking, that I forget what it's like for people who haven't spent a long time contemplating such issues.
    You will probably find, even as someone who has "spent a long time contemplating such issues," that when you experience death firsthand, that that perspective won't make you feel any better especially so soon afterwards, either. People need time to grieve, and often just someone to listen and sympathize with them. aMatt gave really good advice... :)
  • edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    You will probably find, even as someone who has "spent a long time contemplating such issues," that when you experience death firsthand, that that perspective won't make you feel any better especially so soon afterwards, either. People need time to grieve, and often just someone to listen and sympathize with them. aMatt gave really good advice... :)

Also a very good point. Maybe I distance myself with solutions instead of taking the time to be with the pain. Thank you. :)