Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Three Jewels

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,
In an article from wikipedia on the Three Jewels there is this:
Importance
The Triple Gem is in the center of one of the major practices of mental "reflection" in Buddhism; the reflection on the true qualities of the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. These qualities are called the Mirror of the Dharma in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta and help the practitioner attain the true "mind like a mirror".

I don't understand what is meant with "mind like a mirror"
Thanks,

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think it means that the mind is clear, open, and sensitive which are all ways of saying how it is empty and not a separate isolated particle.

Whatever phenominon appears before the mirror is reflected, but the mirror itself has no nature.

I am a little confused to say that this mind is attained, based on what I have said. Because I am using the mirror analogy to say how the mind is. Primordially rather than attained. Realized would make more sense than attained to me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    It means body reflects mind, Mind reflects body. Mind reflects circumstances, circumstances reflect Mind.
    Lama Zopa Rinpoche points out that the mind, like a mirror, clearly reflects objects. The immune system is the body's own mind. It highlights how wholesome emotional states promote health and negative emotions bring illness. In many ways, this Buddhist interpretion of the mind takes into account the whole workings of the central nervous system. Only meditation can explore and stabilize the mind, and, by default, simultaneously, the body.

The body, to the Buddhist, is all that is prone to physical phenomena, including physical expression in reaction to a stimulus. Thereby, the body includes physical and emotional pain. This broad interpretation of the term "body" clearly identifies why it is difficult, for a Buddhist, to separate mind and body. To Western thinking, emotional pain is more a mind-set rather than a body function. Yet, for the Buddhist, emotional pain occurs when the mind fails to rise above negativity; it brings on body sickness. The two are inter-connected.

For the Buddhist, mind + body + "awareness" = consciousness. Physical, mental and spiritual states constantly interact in the realm of consciousness. The Western perspective that consciousness emerges from brain activity, for the Buddhist, amounts to a narrow, "materialistic" perspective. Through meditation, the Buddhist believes that an "intrinsic awareness" can develop beyond brain and sensory perception.

From here.
  • edited June 2010
    Lucidity wrote: »

A "mind like a mirror" reflects reality perfectly without distortions (=delusions) and impurities. It sees things how they are, not how they are imagined/concocted. It is a metaphor for perfect wisdom.

Cheers, Thomas
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    To have a mind like a mirror is to see that all things are a reflection of your true nature. All the people/things you like in your life reflect the good qualities that you yourself possess (but may not express) and all the people/things you don't like reflect qualities that you have in yourself as well and usually try to repress. Self does not exist because what we reflect is much bigger than just ourselves.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hello,
    Importance
    The Triple Gem is in the center of one of the major practices of mental "reflection" in Buddhism; the reflection on the true qualities of the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. These qualities are called the Mirror of the Dharma in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta and help the practitioner attain the true "mind like a mirror".

I think the three gems are what you are left with when you confront reality by facing the Mirror of Dharma. Have a read of the passage many many times, it is pretty profound.

Isn't it clearly stated as the start of the path for enlightenment?

namaste
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    When you look at a well crafted mirror, the images you see are without distortion. The mirror has no motive, does not try to hold onto the objects, and simply reflects what is being cast toward it. A mirror of dharma, in the same way, is relaying reality in a way that is without delusion, as TS put it.
    edited June 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    When you look at a well crafted mirror, the images you see are without distortion. The mirror has no motive, does not try to hold onto the objects, and simply reflects what is being cast toward it. A mirror of dharma, in the same way, is relaying reality in a way that is without delusion, as TS put it.

Hi Matt

A question for your erudition:

What does the Buddha tell Ananda about the actual, practical implementation of the Mirror of Dharma? How is it used?

namaste
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thickpaper,

I find it curious that you put that specifically for my 'erudition'. I cannot say for 100% what Buddha was instilling with the teaching to Ananda.

It seems to me that it is a "cutting free" message, Buddha telling to Ananda that the closest disciples to him were clear and ready to teach what they had been taught, that they were clear visioned "spotless mirrors" or whathaveyou. Assuring them that the clear vision of the dharma lived on in the lineage, that the disciples were polished, and without a selfish intent that would mar the reflection of truth that the Buddha stayed to teach. Assuring the next generation that they were placing their faith in teachers who had the boon of Buddha, so to speak.

What does it mean to you? And why the poke to me specifically?

With warmth,

Matt
    edited June 2010
    I find it curious that you put that specifically for my 'erudition'.

You a smart and thoughtful cookie!:)

What does it mean to you?

"Therefore, Ananda, I will give you the teaching called the Mirror of the Dhamma, possessing which the noble disciple, should he so desire, can declare of himself: 'There is no more rebirth for me in hell, nor as an animal or ghost, nor in any realm of woe. A stream-enterer am I, safe from falling into the states of misery, assured am I and bound for Enlightenment.'""

It seems to mean that when one is ready they can choose to declare that this is their last life and that starts the path.

What do you think of my interpretation?

And why the poke to me specifically?

You a smart and thoughtful cookie who I have had a good harma rapport with in the past...

namaste
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    It seems to mean that when one is ready they can choose to declare that this is their last life and that starts the path.

I don't think it's a matter of just declaring it...

I'd think that when one reaches this point on the path to enlightenment it just becomes apparent... a mini-enlightenment, as it were...

But I know little and this is more an assumption than based on any deep knowledge of the Dharma or stages of enlightenment...
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    I don't think it's a matter of just declaring it...

It seems so in the text...
    edited June 2010
    could someone cite the text for me please...
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    A mirror doesn't judge, it just reflects what is there.

Unless it's one of those bendy carnival ones that make you look really fat.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    "Therefore, Ananda, I will give you the teaching called the Mirror of the Dhamma, possessing which the noble disciple, should he so desire, can declare of himself: 'There is no more rebirth for me in hell, nor as an animal or ghost, nor in any realm of woe. A stream-enterer am I, safe from falling into the states of misery, assured am I and bound for Enlightenment.'""

What do you think of my interpretation?

I think it is akin to saying: The innovation of having wings means that you can choose to declare that you can fly. It might be missing the whole "it enables you to fly" aspect of the teaching.

When Buddha spoke, what I hear is that he was declaring himself enlightened, that he saw clearly and precisely, that the truth he uncovered was passed skillfully on to his disciples, and that having faith in that, taking up the charge of being mindful, stills the process of being reborn in woe.

The reason I say this is a cutting free idea, is because it was in response to the disciples dealing with death. So on one hand, it speaks to the lay person, stating that having faith in the teachings liberates, but it also says that the disciples have the full confidence of their teacher.

Going deeper might hijack the thread, which gets the fede-frowny.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited June 2010
    Hello,
    Importance

Thanks,
    :lol:
    In short, lucid.
    In fact the Triple Gem is the truth quality of all sentience instead of Buddhism per se.
    The emptiness of serene with loving kindness :cool:
    edited June 2010

Hey aMatt...

I'd suggest if you want to delve deeper than might be appropriate in the Beginners forum, simply start a new thread in the experienced practitioner sub-board and just make a post for any wishing a more in depth look at the subject to kindly follow a provided link to said new thread...

This way a beginners dialogue can still continue and more experienced members interested in the topic can also explore the topic... The beginner also has the option to follow the new thread if he/she wishes...

with Metta

Johnathan
    edited June 2010
    When Buddha spoke, what I hear is that he was declaring himself enlightened, that he saw clearly and precisely, that the truth he uncovered was passed skillfully on to his disciples, and that having faith in that, taking up the charge of being mindful, stills the process of being reborn in woe.

No Matt, I was referring specifically to The Mirror of Dharma not your conjecture upon the "whole show". So I wasn't asking about your understanding of Buddhism but specifically the passage and context pasted in from the MPS.
    The reason I say this is a cutting free idea, is because it was in response to the disciples dealing with death.

I don't think it can be, in the context of the stuff going before in the MPS your view doesn't really make sense to me. The Buddha gives a specific and pretty unambiguous (for the Suttas!) outline of the problem and solution, that being the aforementioned declaration.

OK, lets stop taking this in public, PM me if you like!:)

namaste
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    No Matt, I was referring specifically to The Mirror of Dharma not your conjecture upon the "whole show". So I wasn't asking about your understanding of Buddhism but specifically the passage and context pasted in from the MPS.

I'm not interested in a PM exchange at this time, however, I would like to point out that the part you pasted in is only the prelude to the teaching, it is not the teaching. The next few paragraphs depict the idea. The next line past your paste even says something to the effect of "So, what is the mirror exactly? I'll tell you."
    edited June 2010
    However, I would like to point out that the part you pasted in is only the prelude to the teaching, it is not the teaching.

I disagree.
    The next few paragraphs depict the idea.

I disagree.

1) He gives the MOD teaching, which is to declare "That there is no more..."

2) Then he gives the qualities the MOD teaching(or perhaps the full path, I am unsure of that)

3)Then he gives the results of the MOD, which is to move from the delacartion to the knowledge ("... thus know of himself..")

It's only four paragraphs.

I am not sure why you see it so differently.

I suspect you are starting from prior assumptions relevant to your view of Dharma. But the MOD is quite peculiar within Buddhism because it is so explicitly clear what is going on with it, at least to me.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I am not sure why you see it so differently.

I suspect you are starting from prior assumptions relevant to your view of Dharma. But the MOD is quite peculiar within Buddhism because it is so explicitly clear what is going on with it, at least to me.

:lol: I engage with the sutta with a fresh mind. When I read it, it says very directly.

Callout 8 does not contain the teachings. Verse 8 shows the impact of the teachings. Do you see how verse 10 mirrors 8, in that it depicts also the outro for 8's intro? This is common in the suttas, where the teachings are surrounded by how the disciple could expect the teaching to impact the journey. Many follow this same pattern:

A - This will be the teaching, so listen carefully

B - This is the content of the teaching

C - This was the teaching, so remember well

It is 9 that contains the content of the teaching. I have bolded the key phrases that signal where and what the teaching is, where it begins and where it ends.

8. "But truly, Ananda, it is nothing strange that human beings should die. But if each time it happens you should come to the Tathagata and ask about them in this manner, indeed it would be troublesome to him. Therefore, Ananda, I will give you the teaching called the Mirror of the Dhamma, possessing which the noble disciple, should he so desire, can declare of himself: 'There is no more rebirth for me in hell, nor as an animal or ghost, nor in any realm of woe. A stream-enterer am I, safe from falling into the states of misery, assured am I and bound for Enlightenment.'"

9. "And what, Ananda, is that teaching called the Mirror of Dhamma, possessing which the noble disciple may thus declare of himself?

"In this case, Ananda, the noble disciple possesses unwavering faith in the Buddha thus: 'The Blessed One is an Arahant, the Fully Enlightened One, perfect in knowledge and conduct, the Happy One, the knower of the world, the paramount trainer of beings, the teacher of gods and men, the Enlightened One, the Blessed One.'

"He possesses unwavering faith in the Dhamma thus: 'Well propounded by the Blessed One is the Dhamma, evident, timeless, [18] inviting investigation, leading to emancipation, to be comprehended by the wise, each for himself.'

"He possesses unwavering faith in the Blessed One's Order of Disciples thus: 'Well faring is the Blessed One's Order of Disciples, righteously, wisely, and dutifully: that is to say, the four pairs of men, the eight classes of persons. The Blessed One's Order of Disciples is worthy of honor, of hospitality, of offerings, of veneration — the supreme field for meritorious deeds in the world.'

"And he possesses virtues that are dear to the Noble Ones, complete and perfect, spotless and pure, which are liberating, praised by the wise, uninfluenced (by worldly concerns), and favorable to concentration of mind.

10. "This, Ananda, is the teaching called the Mirror of the Dhamma, whereby the noble disciple may thus know of himself: 'There is no more rebirth for me in hell, nor as an animal or ghost, nor in any realm of woe. A stream-enterer am I, safe from falling into the states of misery, assured am I and bound for Enlightenment.'"
    edited June 2010
    :lol:
    :confused:

I engage with the sutta with a fresh mind. When I read it, it says very directly.

So you say, yet you don't actually seem to be able to directly tell me what this teaching is. Which is strange as it seems to me very clearly stated in the text, namely, The path to enlightenment begins with the renunciation of any future rebirths for the renouncer.

Do you agree with this?

If you really cant see this in the text then i will bring it out for you, here or in PM.

Now if the sutta has some other teaching hidden up its sleeve, what is it?
    Many follow this same pattern:

That is irrelevant here (more so because the MPS is renowned as having the most "contributing authors".)

B - This is the content of the teaching

Ya ya, but what is the teaching of the Mirro of Dharma, I have stated what I think it is aboive. What do you think the teaching is?
    It is 9 that contains the content of the teaching. I have bolded the key phrases that signal where and what the teaching is, where it begins and where it ends.

Can you just tell me what you think the teaching is that you see so directly and, i am guessing you don't see as being, The path to enlightenment begins with the renunciation of any future rebirths for the renouncer.

namaste
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I explained my interpretation of the teaching in both content and sub-content. You have begun your swirly argumentative defenses, so it seems appropriate to disengage. Hopefully the OP's development can be furthered by seeing the varying messages.

With warmth,

Matt
    edited June 2010
    I explained my interpretation of the teaching in both content and sub-content. You have begun your swirly argumentative defenses, so it seems appropriate to disengage. Hopefully the OP's development can be furthered by seeing the varying messages.

Matt, you simply didn't.

I am being neither argumentative nor defensive.

You made a bold knowing claims that you can't explain, even when alternatives are clearly presented.

'nuffsaid
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Matt, you simply didn't.

I am being neither argumentative nor defensive.

You made a bold knowing claims that you can't explain, even when alternatives are clearly presented.

'nuffsaid

Yes, thank you. I have read your words and wish you well.

With warmth,

Matt