Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Could it be this simple?

johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I am currently reading "Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Monks".

On page 31 it makes the following statement...

The entire teaching of Buddhism can be summed up in this way:

Nothing is worth holding on to.

If you let go of everything,
Objects
Concepts
Teachers
Buddha
Self
Senses
Memories
Life
Death
Freedom
Let go and all suffering will cease. The world will appear in its pristine self-existing nature, and you will experience the freedom of the Buddha.

The rest that follows in this book are useful approaches and techniques for learning to let go.

So is that it in a nutshell... Nirvana is the letting go of all these things and the Dharma is the teachings of how to let go?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It SOUNDS simple when you read it like that. Doing it, now, that's a whole different story..........
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    More or less, yes. From MN 22:
    "Therefore, monks, whatever isn't yours: Let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term welfare & happiness. And what isn't yours? Form (body) isn't yours: Let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term welfare & happiness. Feeling isn't yours... Perception... Thought fabrications... Consciousness isn't yours: Let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term welfare & happiness.

Also see AN 7.58 and SN 35.101.
  • edited June 2010
    It can be said in many simple ways, and that is one of them, but that's completely beside the point. The point is that no matter how it is said, the mind is conditioned against this simple truth. Someone saying that life is impermanent will not make you stop wanting to live forever. :) Buddhism is more about the transformation of the mind so that it can accept the truth than anything else.

Namaste
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, but nah, but yeah.

'Letting go' doesn't mean ignore.

To live with, whilst letting go, that's the rub.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »

Objects
    Concepts
    Teachers
    Buddha
    Self
    Senses
    Memories
    Life
    Death
    Freedom
    Let go and all suffering will cease. The world will appear in its pristine self-existing nature, and you will experience the freedom of the Buddha.

The rest that follows in this book are useful approaches and techniques for learning to let go.

So is that it in a nutshell... Nirvana is the letting go of all these things and the Dharma is the teachings of how to let go?

I will tell you how it is with me.
    I am a strong and vocal advocate of basing your life on the 'simple' premise of The Four Noble Truths, and the Eightfold Path. Ad nauseam, I tell people this is all they need. because all teachings come back to these.
    The Four, The Eight and the Five.
    A delightful Bikkhuni once said to me - "Yes, but it gets even better - "Be Mindful and Simplify!"
    Her beaming radiant face was testimony to how simple things can be.

Letting go is the key to NT #2. Craving, grasping and clinging is what keeps us ensnared fast in Samsara.

Oh and, one more thing:

'Simple' doesn't mean 'easy'. ;)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    A master was once unmoved by the complaints of his disciples that, though they listened with pleasure to his parables and stories, they were also frustrated for they longed for something deeper. To all their objections he would simply reply: "You have yet to understand, my friends, that the shortest distance between a human being and truth is a story."

Anthony de Mello
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2010

Objects
    Concepts
    Teachers
    Buddha
    Self
    Senses
    Memories
    Life
    Death
    Freedom

Dharma is deep and profound.

Even if we were to search the entire globe, still it is hard to find one that can be completely detached. Try as we may, ‘attachment’ continues to arise. The reason being detachment is not a matter of ‘will’, it is a matter of prajna wisdom and only in Buddhism this is pointed out and for this I am grateful to Buddha.

Although it is not right to spout high views, it is also important not to over simplify matters. In my view, if our mind is filled with ‘dualistic and inherent thoughts’, even with utmost sincerity and honesty in practice, there is still no true ‘detachment’.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Engyo wrote: »
    It SOUNDS simple when you read it like that. Doing it, now, that's a whole different story..........

Yeah... i guess I worded that wrong... I simply meant was the explanation of the path that simple, not the actual staying on the path... I realize that is anything but simple...
    Jason wrote: »
    More or less, yes. From MN 22... Also see AN 7.58 and SN 35.101.

Thanks for the Suttra refrences :-)
    Javelin wrote: »
    Buddhism is more about the transformation of the mind so that it can accept the truth than anything else.

Again, no easy task...
    Daozen wrote: »
    'Letting go' doesn't mean ignore. To live with, whilst letting go, that's the rub.

Agreed...
    federica wrote: »
    I am a strong and vocal advocate of basing your life on the 'simple' premise of The Four Noble Truths, and the Eightfold Path. Ad nauseam, I tell people this is all they need. because all teachings come back to these.
    The Four, The Eight and the Five.
    A delightful Bikkhuni once said to me - "Yes, but it gets even better - "Be Mindful and Simplify!"
    Her beaming radiant face was testimony to how simple things can be.

I couldn't agree with you more... You and I share this same view of simplicity... But yet, not so simple... lol
    pegembara wrote: »
    "You have yet to understand, my friends, that the shortest distance between a human being and truth is a story."

Anthony de Mello

So true... We just need to be open enough to listen to the story without expectations of wanting something more...
    xabir wrote: »
    Dharma is deep and profound.

Even if we were to search the entire globe, still it is hard to find one that can be completely detached. Try as we may, ‘attachment’ continues to arise. The reason being detachment is not a matter of ‘will’, it is a matter of prajna wisdom and only in Buddhism this is pointed out and for this I am grateful to Buddha.’.

As am I...
    edited June 2010
    To quote Thai Buddhist Master Achaan Chah: “If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace. If you let go completely, you will know complete peace and freedom. Your struggles with the world will have come to an end.”
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010

Objects
    Concepts
    Teachers
    Buddha
    Self
    Senses
    Memories
    Life
    Death
    Freedom

That is very beautiful. Thank you for posting it!
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yes, thanks for this posting and this thread! The more I've read about Buddhism, the more I tend to fall into readings that are complicated, advanced, hard for me to understand. When really it does all boil down to this.

But like you've all said - there's a big difference between simple and easy. The good thing is, even the pain from doing something difficult can be let go. That wasn't even an option in my life before I started taking care of my spirit.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    But letting go of things does not mean turning away from life or becoming indifferent to things.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Any way you put it in words is open to misinterpretation. "Let go" is as good a way to put it as any other.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    How about let be, as in let be the knee pain that will not go.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010

Objects
    Concepts
    Teachers
    Buddha
    Self
    Senses
    Memories
    Life
    Death
    Freedom

I really like this. It's a great reminding simplifier that I can use when I get overwhelmed. I'm going to Sticky it to my desktop.

Thanks, Johnathan.
  • edited June 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    But letting go of things does not mean turning away from life or becoming indifferent to things.

Agreed. it's letting go of attachment to those things or the emotional states that go with them. Just not caring is not the same as caring but not being swayed by them.

And, as said, much easier said than done. Even the Dalai Lama himself admits he feels sorrows and suffering, but the training he's received lets him release those emotions quickly and move on. I mean imagine actually being able to do something like not feel sorrow over the death of a loved one, or to decide that pain is nothing just because you don't think it's real suffering.

I'd also say it's not so much "letting go" as much as not being attached, appreciate it while it's there, but don't worry about it passing, because underneath everything is the absolute truth that everything will change. So it's really simpler than that. In a sense it could be summed up as "accept that everything changes".

Then again, that's for personal enlightenment, there is also the suffering of others to deal with so even if you understand and can do this, it's not really worth anything if you're not doing any good for others. What is personal enlightenment really worth on a worldly scale?

This is just my opinion or what I've taken from my reading, who knows, I may be completely off.
  • edited June 2010
    It's my understanding of Vajrayana that emotional experiences like these are to be experienced in their fullness but in a way that they do not impede our progress. We don't have to leave behind the experiences that go with being human. It's just more adaptive to not let them impede our progress.

In Mahayana and Vajrayana, the Bodhisattva motivation is more "developed" than metta is in Theravadin, such that it's considered essential in Mahayana and Vajrayana to take refuge until we attain enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings. So that's the answer to the question regarding what enlightenment is worth on a worldly scale. I'm not trying to "diss" Theravada, but if Theravada practice gives way to a lot of metta, then the world is a better place because of that. Similarly, if Mayahana/Vajrayana gives way to bodhicitta, then the world is a better place because of that.

Here is a prayer attributed to the Indian Buddhist sage Shantideva:

"<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style>May I be a guard for all those who are protectorless,
    A guide for those who journey on the road,
    For those who wish to go across the water,
    May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.

For all those ailing in the world,
    Until their every sickness has been healed,
    May I myself become for them
    The doctor, nurse, the medicine itself."
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I like the simplicity of it. Letting go is easier said than done for most of us, but this gives things a nice perspective.
    Just wanted to bring this thread out again. I was going back through old discussions and felt new members over the past year might enjoy it and perhaps help them see their practice from a simplistic view. My first year of study was anything but simpllistic and it bogged me down and obscured my view of what Buddhism is truely about.

I have come full circle and have found simplicity again... Not that simplicity requires less effort, that effort is just focused in a different dirrection...
  • It is simple-- it is WE that tend to complicate matters in our chattering minds!

When we’re deluded there’s a world to escape. When we’re aware, there’s nothing to escape. ~ Bodhidharma, “Wake-Up Sermon” (translated by Red Pine)

The problem is that we actually are incapable of seeing zazen as useless because our minds can’t accept the fundamental genuineness and all-rightness of our lives. We are actually very resistant to this reality. We hate it because it is too simple and we persistently think we need more. This is not a detail or a quirk of our minds; it is not even a habit really; it is the deep nature of our minds. The Sanskrit word for consciousness is vijnana, which means to divide, or to cut. In order for us to have what we call experience we have to divide or cut reality. Genuineness or all-rightness is wholeness, indivisibility, so it can’t be an experience. ~ Zoketsu Norman Fischer, “A Coin in the River Is Found in the River” (from The Art of Sitting by John Daido Loori)

Nothing of samsara is different from nirvana, nothing of nirvana is different from samsara. That which is the limit of nirvana is also the limit of samsara; there is not the slightest difference between the two. ~ Nagarjuna

In spring, the cherry blossoms,
    In summer, the cuckoo’s song,
    In autumn, the moon, shining,
    In winter, the frozen snow:
    How pure and clear are the seasons!
    ~ “Original Face,” Dogen (translated by Steven Heine)

Not “Revelation”—’tis—that waits,
    But our unfurnished eyes—
    ~ Emily Dickinson
  • Sometimes it seems to me as simple as just not "making". Even "letting go" is a sort of making. If we just stop making, then letting go, or you could say falling away, happens by itself.
    @riverflow - I just wanted to say I really love your post.
  • Its simple but it takes a lifetime to accomplish it.
  • edited September 2011
    At OP : That's basically it. But the important thing, as far as the whole concept goes, is not really the WHAT you are letting go, but what LETTING GO actually means.

And there's a lot of misinformation about that in a lot of places.
    Its simple but it takes a lifetime to accomplish it.
    Does anyone know if the Buddha ever said anything about time being a factor?
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited September 2011
    To the OP I would agree that is pretty spot on, though as some have pointed out, not easy.
    From Buddhadasa Bhikkhu:
    "There is a section in the Majjhima Nikaya where someone approached the Buddha and asked him whether he could summarize his teachings in one phrase and, if he could, what it would be. The Buddha replied that he could: "Sabba dhamma nalam abhinivesaya". "Sabbe dhamm" means "all things", "nalam" means "should not be", "abhinivesaya" means "to be clung to". Nothing whatsoever should be clung to. Then the Buddha emphasized this point by saying that whoever had heard this core-phrase had heard all the Teachings, who ever put it into practice had practiced all the Teachings, and whoever had received the fruits of practicing this point had received all of the fruits of the Buddhist Teachings".
    -Essential points of the Buddhist teachings by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Essential_points_of_the_Buddhist_teachings_by_Buddhadasa_Bhikkhu

• So.... how do we let go?
  • Compassion for yourself.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited September 2011
    To “let go” means two things: (1) to not resist moments ordinarily perceived as “unpleasant” and (2) to not hang onto moments ordinarily perceived as “pleasant.” Zazen simply means to practice this letting go, or, as Dogen calls it in Genjokoan, the process of “dropping away”...

When we stop our clinging and instead let go of any given moment, we really just let go of the self. We do not let go of thoughts, or desires, or any objects or events—only the self. In those situations, we do not let go of anything external to the self—all vexation simply arises from the delusion of a permanent, independent, clearly demarcated self.

You only need drop one thing: the self—nothing more, nothing less.

https://riverflow0.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/letting-go-of-what

• @Gui ... thank you. :-)
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Could it be this simple?

How could simply "dropping away" - "letting go" - "letting be" - "non attachment" through following the Dharma be the answer?

Wait what was the question?

Nevermind, ddrishi@ said, "It's simple but it takes a lifetime to accomplish."
    So true. So simple. So complex. So, at the end of a lifetime - voila! - the end of attachment - the end of living - the end of searching.

Nirvana and samsara have a beginning middle and end - just like a planet - a flower - a star - a human - but only a human interprets this process intellectually - emotionally - psychologically - physically.....................delusionally.

So, Gautama awakened to and taught that it all ends - we get what we want according to the teaching - liberation. And the Dharma is the vehicle we ride to the end of the line.

Thanks, Shakyamuni - it is so simple.
  • Self [upadanakhandha] is clinging to form, feeling, perception, mental formations and consciousness - nothing more, nothing less.

["When Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara was practicing the profound Prajna Paramita, he illuminated the Five Skandhas and saw that they are all empty, and he crossed beyond all suffering and difficulty."]

Are desires and thoughts skandhas?
  • Acceptance lights the way along the path.

Namaste
  • The interesting summary is not really the entire teaching, but is a restatement of the third Noble Truth. The entire teaching and most important part tells you both why this is necessary, what causes our clinging in the first place, and how to let go.

For instance, Muslims would say the exact same thing, but tell you the pathway lies in complete submission to Allah. Christians would tell you the exact same thing, but tell you the pathway lies in surrendering your life to Christ.

But I totally agree to the call to simplify in your mind. Don't mean you can ignore the hard work of getting to the point where simple is all you need.
  • Sometimes it seems to me as simple as just not "making". Even "letting go" is a sort of making. If we just stop making, then letting go, or you could say falling away, happens by itself.
    Better put, if you stop making then there is nothing to let go of.
  • Thanissaro Bikkhu mentions in his talks that we should let go like a rich man. At some point we feel so rich (so at ease, happy, etc) that we see no reason to cling to material wealth anymore and we can let go of that clinging without much effort (and likewise for other types of clinging). For this reason, he stresses that it's important to find a sense of joy in the practice, so that we feel nourished by it.