Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, I've been reading various articles on the subject of rebirth but I'm not exactly clear on what is reborn.

In Buddhism there is no immortal soul so it would follow that at the moment of death you consciousness is annihilated never to reappear. From what I have read though a new consciosness based on your karma would form but it wouldn't be you as there is no immortal self.

I'm not quite understanding all this if anyone could explain more it would be helpful. The complete idea of rebirth doesn't seem logical at all if indeed consciousness is annhilated at death.

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi,

Firstly let me state that this is my unpopular opinion based on the Pali Canon and teachings of certain Thai Forest teachers. In fact I won't even state it, I'll just link you to some of these resources for you to check out yourself...
    The complete idea of rebirth doesn't seem logical at all if indeed consciousness is annhilated at death.

Consciousness isn't annihilated at death nor is it reborn. Please refer to this sutta: http://www.leighb.com/mn38.htm

As for rebirth in general I would reccomend this article: http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books7/Buddhadasa_Bhikkhu_Anatta_and_Rebirth.pdf
  • edited June 2010
    Buddha: "There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words."

Kutadanta: "Tell me, O Lord, if there be no atman [soul], how can there be immortality? The activity of the mind passeth, and our thoughts are gone when we have done thinking."

Buddha replied: "Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains."

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    ZoeL wrote: »
    Hi, I've been reading various articles on the subject of rebirth but I'm not exactly clear on what is reborn.

In Buddhism there is no immortal soul so it would follow that at the moment of death you consciousness is annihilated never to reappear. From what I have read though a new consciosness based on your karma would form but it wouldn't be you as there is no immortal self.

I'm not quite understanding all this if anyone could explain more it would be helpful. The complete idea of rebirth doesn't seem logical at all if indeed consciousness is annhilated at death.

In Buddhism, sensory consciousness (vinnana) isn't viewed as a static thing that gets annihilated at death, it's simply the bare awareness of sense data and ideas. The arising of sensory-consciousness is said to be dependent upon the meeting of one of the six sense-organs (salayatana) and its corresponding object. The process of seeing, for example, is described as a conditional process where "dependent on eye and visible forms, eye-consciousness arises" (SN 12.43). Although I'm agnostic when it comes the traditional understanding of postmortem rebirth, I don't think it's necessarily illogical, and I'd like to at least mention how the process of rebirth is generally understood.

To begin with, the Buddha didn't reject that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain, which is the prevailing view of modern science, but he didn't explicitly promote it either. In The Buddha and His Teachings, for example, Narada Thera notes that:
    In the Patthana, the Book of Relations, the Buddha refers to the seat of consciousness, in such indirect terms as 'yam rupam nissaya—depending on that material thing', without positively asserting whether that rupa was either the heart (hadaya) or the brain. But, according to the view of commentators like Venerable Buddhaghosa and Anuruddha, the seat of consciousness is definitely the heart. It should be understood that the Buddha neither accepted nor rejected the popular cardiac theory.

So even though the Buddha detailed the mutual dependency of mental and physical activity and consciousness (DN 15), he wasn't a strict materialist. In regard to name-and-form (nama-rupa), for example, he didn't see consciousness as merely the byproduct of matter; he saw mentality and materiality as mutually sustaining immaterial and material phenomena, using the analogy of two sheaves of reeds leaning against one another to illustrate their relationship (SN 12.67).

Moreover, in Theravada, the literal interpretation of rebirth (punabhava) is viewed as an instantaneous process whereby the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness (kind of like 'spooky action at a distance' where two entangled particles communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances).

According to the teachings on dependent co-arising (paticcasamupadda) — a process of conditionality that's understood to occur moment to moment and over multiple lifetimes (non-literalists simply disregard the 'three-life' model, e.g., see Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination) — if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Along with consciousness, craving (tahna) plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.

In explaining how craving could result in future births, the Buddha used a simile in which he compared the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death. Essentially, a flame burns in dependence on its fuel, and that fuel sustains it. When a flame burns in dependence on wood, for example, the wood sustains that flame. However, when a flame is swept up and carried away by the wind, the fuel of wind sustains that flame until it lands upon a new source of fuel. In the same way, a being at the time of death has the fuel of craving as its sustenance (SN 44.9). Hence, the Buddha states, "Wherever there is a basis for consciousness, there is support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of renewed existence" (SN 12.38).

To better illustrate this, I'd like to make an analogy to a theory introduced by Richard Dawkins in his book The Selfish Gene. There, he presents his theory that those genes whose phenotypic effects successfully promote their own propagation will be favourably selected in detriment to their competitors, which is essentially a part of what helps species surive and reproduce. He does not mean that the human gene is actually selfish, but rather that it acts as if it were. Craving can also be seen to act in a similar way.

If we look at craving as being the cause by which this process happens at the molecular level, we can get an idea of the role that craving plays in realm of rebirth. In this pseudoscientific analogy, the propagation of genes is analogous to becoming and birth in dependent co-arising, and the cause of this process is craving; in the case of genes, it would be craving in regard for the reproductive success of the organism, or of other organisms containing the same gene, while in the case of beings, it would be craving in regard to the production of renewed existence, or the establishment and growth of consciousness.

Unfortunately, there are no suttas that give a detailed explanation of this process, and the detailed workings of this process are to be found in the Abhidhamma and Pali commentaries. While many people reject the Abhidhamma and commentaries as reliable sources of information regarding what the Buddha taught, I don't think the views of the Buddha and the ancient commentators such as Buddhaghosa are necessarily mutually exclusive. It's true, for example, that the Pali term patisandhi-citta (re-linking consciousness) — which is used to explain the process of rebirth in detail — is only found in the commentarial literature; but one can just as easily argue that such a 're-linking' consciousness is implied in places like SN 44.9, where the Buddha states that, "... when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."

He did, however, reject the idea of consciousness as a kind 'spirit' that travels from one life to the next. For example, in response to the view that "it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another" put forth by Sati, a bhikkhu that was the son of a fisherman, the Buddha rebukingly said, "Misguided man, have I not stated in many ways consciousness to be dependently arisen, since without a condition there is no origination of consciousness" (MN 38).

And, in the Theravadin understanding at least, kamma is what makes entire this process possible. In Bhikkhu Bodhi’s words, "When ignorance and craving underlie our stream of consciousness, our volitional actions of body, speech, and mind become forces with the capacity to produce results, and of the results they produce the most significant is the renewal of the stream of consciousness following death" (Anicca Vata Sankhara).

Of course, one can just as easily re-interpret such statements, or to be more precise, translations, in a way that supports a single-life presentation of dependent co-arising and non-postmortem rebirth (i.e., keeping solely within the framework of what I'd call psychological processes), which I have no problem with personally. But in either interpretation, rebirth is the continuation of a process — nothing 'remains', nothing 'transmigrates', etc. — there are merely phenomena that condition other phenomena in the interdependent process we call life. The only difference I see is that one side believes this process ceases at death, regardless of whether there's still craving present in the mind, and the other doesn't.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What Jason said.
  • edited June 2010
    Try thinking about it like this. We are constantly changed by experience. Every interaction we have with each other has some effect on us, either large or small. If I'm mean to someone, they might be put in a bad mood and be mean to someone else, etc. Our actions create ripples through time to an extent so far that it's impossible to forsee the outcomes. Our habits, traits, and characteristics are imprinted on the other people in our lives, no matter how big or small.

In a way, our actions are immortalized in others, and never really stop affecting the world. It's one giant game of dominos :D
  • edited June 2010

Differing explanations by Buddha were given for differing minds. The store [alaya] or seed consciousness was explained by Buddha in this sutra excerpt:
    The Buddha told Worthy Protector, “The process and transference of [ālaya] consciousness are like the wind, which is formless, shapeless, and unidentifiable. However, the wind can activate myriad things and display myriad conditions, whether making loud sounds as it shakes the forest or breaks off branches, or causing pleasure or pain as it touches with cold or hot the bodies of sentient beings. The wind does not have hands, feet, face, or shape. Nor does it have various colors, such as black, white, red, or yellow. Worthy Protector, the same is true for the domain of consciousness. It is formless, shapeless, not revealed by light. However, because of causes and conditions, it can manifest various kinds of functions. We know that the dharma realms of sensory reception and perception are also formless and shapeless. Because of causes and conditions, various functions manifest.
    “Worthy Protector, after the death of a sentient being, the dharma realms of sensory reception and perception and the domain of [ālaya] consciousness abandon the body. The way [ālaya] consciousness carries the dharma realms of sensory reception and perception to accept another body is like a gust of wind sweeping across wonderful flowers. The flowers stay put, but their fragrance will flow far. The wind in essence does not grasp the fragrance of the flowers. Fragrance and the wind in essence are both formless and shapeless. However, without the power of the wind, fragrance will not travel far. Worthy Protector, after a person’s death, his [ālaya] consciousness carries the dharma realms of sensory reception and perception to the next rebirth, which is conditioned upon the parents entrusted by his [ālaya] consciousness. In this way the dharma realms of sensory reception and perception accompany [ālaya] consciousness. Because of the quality of the flowers, one’s nose can detect their scent. Because of one’s olfactory power, one smells fragrance, a sense object. The wind touches the flowers because of its power. Because of the power of the wind, fragrance can flow far. Likewise, from consciousness, sensory reception arises; from sensory reception, perception arises; and by perception, mental objects are differentiated. Then one knows good and evil.

From the Glossary:
    ālaya-vijñāna (阿賴耶識). The store consciousness (藏識), also known as the eighth consciousness, which stores the pure, impure, and neutral seeds of one’s experience since time without a beginning. These seeds manifest as causes and conditions that lead to karmic events in one’s life, which in turn become seeds. Maintaining the physical and mental life of a sentient being, ālaya is neither different from nor the same as the physical body. As the base of the other seven consciousnesses (see eighteen spheres), ālaya is the root consciousness (mūla-vijñāna). After one’s death, ālaya may either immediately manifest a rebirth according to karmic forces and conditions or first produce an ethereal interim body, which can last up to forty-nine days, pending the right karmic conditions for a rebirth. ālaya is also identified with the thus-come store (tathāgata-garbha) as well as Buddha nature (see true suchness). The seeds in a Buddha’s mind are all pure seeds which no longer change, and the name ālaya-vijñāna is then changed to amala-vijñāna, the stainless consciousness.
  • edited June 2010
    Jason, great post, thanks for explaining. :thumbsup:

While I think that a one-life interpretation of DO is possible, the canon is quite explicit about many-life rebirth. Unfortunately, nothing is said how this happens, so different schools have developed different ideas about it.

Joel, perhaps you will find it useful to look at the Brahmajala Sutta (DN 1). It explains things in negative terms. This sutta lists a number of "wrong views" about post-mortem survival, i.e. views that the Buddha rejected.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010

Karma and consciousness annihilation are the six realm of living beings. Buddha said that your nature in loving kindess that beyond birth and death, yr karma comes in when your loving kindess failed to function and take root. Unless your understanding on the root of existence and function on loving kindness, your karma would never cease. Either you are a meat of human or meat of animals. It would be helpful for you to recite Om Mani Padme hum or Amitabha Buddha etc while exploring the understanding of your karma :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Zoel, "alaya consciousness" is not mentioned in any of the primitive pali suttas; at least not in the ones I have reffered to so far. Concisousness is explained by the Buddha over and over again as something that arises based on the physical sense bases. (Please let me know if you need the sutta references. I am at work so don't have the time to go through them now)

Consciousness is the initial cognition that arises when the physical sense organs make contact with external objects. For example, when the eye makes contact with form the initial cognition is eye-consciousness.

I am clueless just like you as to what is reborn and how it is reborn assuming there is rebirth. Various people give various interpretations. I have not seen the Buddha giving explanation to such questions anywhere. On the contrary, he has explicitly said that such speculation is not related to Nibbana.

In case you are interested, this topic was recently discussed here.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Jason.

Great post.

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    We are all interconnected in ways we can never fully fathom. The "you" that exists depends entirely upon your environment and interactions with it, so in a sense everything around you is an extension of yourself. Though the aggregates cease to function, the traces of their activity (that extension) lives on. The aggregates also become food for wildlife, fertilizer for plants, et cetera.

The bigger part of us is this extension; is what we "do" during our life. We are not born into the world - we are born out of the world, from the world, and return to it when the conditions are just so.
  • edited June 2010
    While the Alaya consciousness became part of Yogacara Buddhism, it is not invisible in the Pali tradition; at least Dr W. Rahula thinks so:

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha195.htm

Here is the text by Asanga that Dr Rahula refers to:

http://www.gampoabbey.org/translations2/ani-migme/Mahayanasamgraha.pdf

See pp. 48-51 of the PDF - it is large 2.5 megs
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    the canon is quite explicit about many-life rebirth. Unfortunately, nothing is said how this happens, so different schools have developed different ideas about it.
    Indeed.
    Deshy wrote: »
    I am clueless just like you as to what is reborn and how it is reborn assuming there is rebirth. Various people give various interpretations. I have not seen the Buddha giving explanation to such questions anywhere. On the contrary, he has explicitly said that such speculation is not related to Nibbana.
    Buddha repeatedly taught that rebirth occurs over several lifetimes & that he could remember his past lives. Perhaps how it happens isn't important, but (according to Buddha) it certainly happens.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Daozen wrote: »

Buddha repeatedly taught that rebirth occurs over several lifetimes & that he could remember his past lives.

past dwellings
    . Perhaps how it happens isn't important, but (according to Buddha) it certainly happens.

wow ok...

:bowdown:
  • edited June 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    I'd like to at least mention how the process of rebirth is generally understood.

To begin with, the Buddha didn't reject that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain, which is the prevailing view of modern science, but he didn't explicitly promote it either. In The Buddha and His Teachings, for example, Narada Thera notes that:
    In the Patthana, the Book of Relations, the Buddha refers to the seat of consciousness, in such indirect terms as 'yam rupam nissaya—depending on that material thing', without positively asserting whether that rupa was either the heart (hadaya) or the brain. But, according to the view of commentators like Venerable Buddhaghosa and Anuruddha, the seat of consciousness is definitely the heart. It should be understood that the Buddha neither accepted nor rejected the popular cardiac theory.
    Who are Venerable Buddhaghosa and Anuruddha? They are disagreeing with the Buddha.
    So even though the Buddha detailed the mutual dependency of mental and physical activity and consciousness (DN 15), he wasn't a strict materialist.
    I do not understand what you are saying. What is a materialist? How is this related to understanding Buddhism?
    Moreover, in Theravada, the literal interpretation of rebirth (punabhava) is viewed as an instantaneous process whereby the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness (kind of like 'spooky action at a distance' where two entangled particles communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances).
    Can you show me where the Buddha said this?

:rolleyesc
  • edited June 2010
    According to the teachings on dependent co-arising (paticcasamupadda) — a process of conditionality that's understood to occur moment to moment and over multiple lifetimes (non-literalists simply disregard the 'three-life' model, e.g., see Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination) — if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Along with consciousness, craving (tahna) plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.
    I read the link. It did not indicate any rebirths to me. It just says "From birth as a requisite condition comes aging & death."

:confused:
  • edited June 2010
    In explaining how craving could result in future births, the Buddha used a simile in which he compared the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death. Essentially, a flame burns in dependence on its fuel, and that fuel sustains it. When a flame burns in dependence on wood, for example, the wood sustains that flame. However, when a flame is swept up and carried away by the wind, the fuel of wind sustains that flame until it lands upon a new source of fuel. In the same way, a being at the time of death has the fuel of craving as its sustenance (SN 44.9). Hence, the Buddha states, "Wherever there is a basis for consciousness, there is support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of renewed existence" (SN 12.38).
    I read the link. It says "Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time." What is this "being" the Buddha is saying is being reborn?

Are you sure the Buddha is explaining rebirth here or is the Buddha just answering questions prompted by a very confused person holding their own pre-existing beliefs?

I read the link. It says "Of course you are befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you are uncertain. When there is a reason for befuddlement in you, uncertainty arises."

I read the other link too. It says "What one intends, what one arranges, and what one obsesses about: This is a support for the stationing of consciousness. There being a support, there is a landing [or: an establishing] of consciousness. "

How is this about rebirth? It just says if a person obssesses about something their consciousness becomes stationed there. When I watch TV my consciousness is stationed there.

As a sceptic, my reply is this explanation by Jason is befuddled like Vacchagotta the wanderer, like a somene who has wandered through a New Age bookshop buying different blind faith belief systems.

:lol:
  • edited June 2010
    Jason, great post, thanks for explaining. :thumbsup:
    Did you examine what was written critically in a logical manner?

:(
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Is that you DD? :D
  • edited June 2010
    Although I'm agnostic when it comes the traditional understanding of postmortem rebirth, I don't think it's necessarily illogical,
    Your explanation was illogical and an intellectual exercise about something you don't even believe in. Tell me, a sceptic, what is the point of that? What is the point of rebirth?

Us sceptics believe religions teach the afterlife so they can control people. Is your agnosticism a sign of your personal rebelliousness?

I have read the Buddhist teaching where Buddha tries to control the people saying if they do not follow five precepts (commandments) they will be reborn in hell.

:mad:
  • edited June 2010
    What Jason said.
    What Jason said was illogical.

:buck:
  • edited June 2010
    Us sceptics believe religions teach the afterlife so they can control people.

Then that is obviously your belief system. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Thomas
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »

You are seeing things Guy :lol:
    edited June 2010
    What Jason said was illogical.

:buck:

Hm, seems fine to me.
    edited December 2010
    As a sceptic, my reply is this explanation by Jason is befuddled like Vacchagotta the wanderer, like a somene who has wandered through a New Age bookshop buying different blind faith belief systems.

Well, I have been to the bookstore a lot recently, but I wouldn't really consider Plato 'New Age'. Got a great deal on The Republic, though.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »

Lol I was just about to welcome him back. :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Is your agnosticism a sign of your personal rebelliousness?

:lol: