Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Morality

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello there everybody,

I've been reading a while on Buddhism and of course, the right conduct.
However, it seems to me that the way Buddhism view morality as different then other religions. Now my question is basically, do I understand it correctly?

For example, both Christianity and Buddhism value right speech and view lying as bad conduct. In Christianity this is a command, we are not suppose to lie. The act of lying is a sin. Buddhism however has less problems with the actual act of lying, but more with intention of lying, or deceiving, or causing harm. So if the intention is to protect others, the act of lying, no longer is viewed as bad conduct or immoral.

Is this the way to understand it correctly?

I have another, more complicated question of the same sort,

but i shall first wait for your reactions,

Peace,

Dirk

Comments

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited July 2010
    DirkArjen wrote: »
    Hello there everybody,

However, it seems to me that the way Buddhism view morality as different then other religions. Now my question is basically, do I understand it correctly?

For example, both Christianity and Buddhism value right speech and view lying as bad conduct. In Christianity this is a command, we are not suppose to lie. The act of lying is a sin. Buddhism however has less problems with the actual act of lying, but more with intention of lying, or deceiving, or causing harm. So if the intention is to protect others, the act of lying, no longer is viewed as bad conduct or immoral.

Peace,

Dirk

Christian morality is like "x is wrong because it is against God's will"

Buddhist "morality" is more like "x will prevent enlightenment..."

That's how I see it anyway:)
  • edited July 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »

Thanks for your reply Thickpaper.
    I understand where you are coming from, but it does not answer my question.
    In Christianity "x" would be an act, for example: Lying, or killing, or using the lords name in vain.
    Now, my question is: in Buddhism would "x" be an intention, rather then an act? for example: intent to deceive, intent to kill, etc.

I know it's rather theorectial, but I'm curious about what you think.

peace,

Dirk
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for your reply Thickpaper.
    I understand where you are coming from, but it does not answer my question.
    In Christianity "x" would be an act, for example: Lying, or killing, or using the lords name in vain.
    Now, my question is: in Buddhism would "x" be an intention, rather then an act? for example: intent to deceive, intent to kill, etc.

peace,

Dirk

Hey Dirk,

I think it does answer your question if you keep in mind the emptiness/interconnectivity of all things, including an individuals thoughts, intentions and actions.

For example:

If I intend to kill someone, that intention will have Karmic negative consequences.

If I kill someone, that will also have negative karmic consequences, and I would imagine in all cases they would be much more negative than just intending to but not killing someone.

Does that make sense?

namaste
  • edited July 2010

I am only speaking for myself, but the question just seems too vague and theoretical to me. Buddhism is situational in relationship to "skillful means", and in certain situations things like lying and stealing and even killing might be "skillful means", but there is a lot of karma involved. I have read that in some contexts, for instance, HH 14th Dalai Lama sees defensive military action as permissible. It is even noted that HH The Great 13th Dalai Lama began re-establishing the Tibetan army because he knew what was coming from China.

But these are very very serious situations, and I think it's that seriousness that needs to be emphasized here. When I first saw this thread I almost wanted to just leave it alone because I hoped it wouldn't devolve into "quibbling", and, with no offense meant, I still hope that.

IMHO this discussion should be less theoretical.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey Dirk,

I think it does answer your question if you keep in mind the emptiness/interconnectivity of all things, including an individuals thoughts, intentions and actions.

For example:

If I intend to kill someone, that intention will have Karmic negative consequences.

If I kill someone, that will also have negative karmic consequences, and I would imagine in all cases they would be much more negative than just intending to but not killing someone.

Does that make sense?

namaste
    Hey Thickpaper

It definitely makes sense, thanks for your reply.

I must admit that I find karma/kamma a hard concept to completely grasp, but I understand, that actions have consequences regardless of intention. I hope you don't mind me asking further about this subject.

The reason I ask this question can be best explained with a passage of the introduction to the "book of the Five Rings by Musashi Miyamoto translated by Brian Fullerton:
    The first technique is the last, the beginner and the master behave in the same way. Knowledge is a full circle. The first of Musashi's chapter headings is Ground, for the basis of Kendo and Zen, and the last book is Void, for that understanding which can only be expressed as nothingness. The teachings of Kendo are like the fierce verbal forays to which the Zen student is subjected. Assailed with doubts and misery, his mind and spirit in a whirl, the student is gradually guided to realisation and understanding by his teacher. The Kendo student practises furiously, thousands of cuts morning and night, learning fierce techniques of horrible war, until eventually sword becomes "no sword", intention becomes "no intention", a spontaneous knowledge of every situation. The first elementary teaching becomes the highest knowledge, and the master still continues to practise this simple training, his everyday prayer.

source: http://samuraiconsulting.ca/5rings/transintro/zen.html

The example is best set with martial art, where hurting each other is a way of training each other, with the goal to be able to defeat enemies in combat. During the book it stresses the importance of "just cutting" not intent to kill, or to cut hard or soft.
    Even though all this seems to be in contradiction with the moral code, the immorality of it seems to be negated by the intent. Ofcourse the consequences or karmic value stays the same.

I remember someone posting on this forum an artikel about the Dalai Lama not being completely against violence. I thought it had the same reasoning, if I remember correctly.

Wat is your opinion on this?

Peace
  • edited July 2010
    Buddhism however has less problems with the actual act of lying, but more with intention of lying, or deceiving, or causing harm. So if the intention is to protect others, the act of lying, no longer is viewed as bad conduct or immoral. Is this the way to understand it correctly?

In principle you understand it correctly, but you should consider that 1) there is no immediate directive about white lies in Buddhism, 2) it is a subject of considerable debate among Buddhists, and 3) lying is generally not seen as skilful behaviour.

That being said, my personal interpretation is that white lies are only justified in exceptional cases to protect oneself or others from undue harm. I don't interpret the fourth precept to be compatible with white lies for the sake of convenience.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited July 2010
    I am only speaking for myself, but the question just seems too vague and theoretical to me. Buddhism is situational in relationship to "skillful means", and in certain situations things like lying and stealing and even killing might be "skillful means", but there is a lot of karma involved. I have read that in some contexts, for instance, HH 14th Dalai Lama sees defensive military action as permissible. It is even noted that HH The Great 13th Dalai Lama began re-establishing the Tibetan army because he knew what was coming from China.

But these are very very serious situations, and I think it's that seriousness that needs to be emphasized here. When I first saw this thread I almost wanted to just leave it alone because I hoped it wouldn't devolve into "quibbling", and, with no offense meant, I still hope that.

IMHO this discussion should be less theoretical.
    Thanks for your reaction, I'm glad your reconsidered leaving it alone.
    I had no intention of ripping things out of context. I just found that
    Buddhism had a complex and intriguing view on morality, rather then just: "don't do that"
    I was curious on how you guys see this.

But if you find my way of questioning unsutable for discussion, then I will stop it. I allready had good answers to my questions.

peace,

Dirk
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Dirk,

In my understanding of things, lying is speaking unskillfully, and is not the best solution in any circumstance because it spreads delusion. In the development of right action, one might begin by stopping the intentional deception, as one opens to the understanding of the deep importance of truth. Then, as one becomes more open and skillful, they might encounter times when they deceive to protect themselves or others from the 'danger' of telling the truth. In these moments, one might notice that they were trying to pretend things weren't painful, as though reality is somehow flawed and people should close their eyes to that flaw. Next, one is open and selfless enough in the moment, transparent enough, that there would be no need to speak falsely... if the truth was hurtful, then silence might be the response, or compassionately addressing the hurt in a way that skillfully heals the pain.

When connections with others are selfless, there is no need to pretend the world is anything but what it is. There is development and understanding when it comes to lying however... its not a "sin", but when you look at the effects of deception, as a practice it is simply not the best way.

With warmth,

Matt
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010

Buddhist "morality" is more like "x will create suffering in yourself, bad karma in yourself, and ultimately prevent enlightenment..."
    edited July 2010
    I must admit that I find karma/kamma a hard concept to completely grasp...

I think a lot of people do - I did - at least until I understood it a bit more. I think the reason for this difficulty is one endemic within Buddhism - cultural influence over the years.

This has lead to karma being considered as a magic force, some celestial merit bank account etc etc... (I should add that the Buddhists here on this forum don't hold these views, or at least they don't seem to)

Karma is in fact very very simple, it is causation - much like the "billiard balls" causation of the physical world - only Karma is causation at the higher levels of the moral/mental/spiritual.

Positive moral/mental/spiritual causes are more likley to have positive moral/mental/spiritual effects. And conversely for negative causes.

That's it really.

The mechanism for this is called dependent origination, which I summarise as:

all causes have many effects.
    all effects have many causes.
    all effects are causes.

If you think about those conditions being true of all changes, you get this vast web of interconnected changes follwoing the karmic conditioning above.
    Wat is your opinion on this?

Not sure I follow that, or really the connection of Martial arts and Buddhism, though I like both:)

namaste
  • edited July 2010
    and in certain situations things like lying and stealing and even killing might be "skillful means"
    I have read that certain actions, like killing, were taught as never being skillful. Whether I agree I don't know (the old thing about killing one to save many, for instance).

One of the Five Precepts is to abstain from false speech, although I've also read that even these five basic rules are less laws and more guidelines.

--Vil
  • edited July 2010
    Vilhjalmr wrote: »
    I have read that certain actions, like killing, were taught as never being skillful.

Well, if you share with us where you read that, it might help the discussion.

For instance, HH Dalai Lama on war, from his website:

"For instance, it is plain to all of us that the Second World War was entirely justified. It "saved civilization" from the tyranny of Nazi Germany, as Winston Churchill so aptly put it. In my view, the Korean War was also just, since it gave South Korea the chance of gradually developing democracy. But we can only judge whether or not a conflict was vindicated on moral grounds with hindsight."

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/world-peace/the-reality-of-war

I myself have been trying to get a grasp of the role of Buddhism in the perspective of the Japanese Samurai culture and whether or not Samurai is a legitimate outgrowth of Buddhism. If anybody could tell me where to find that information I'd appreciate it.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, if you share with us where you read that, it might help the discussion.
    It's in the Wikipedia article I linked to; it itself links to this.
  • edited July 2010

Buddha's advice to a lay practitioner regarding morality can be found here:

DN 31 Sigalovada Sutta: The Buddha's Advice to Sigalaka :

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

• edited July 2010
    Hello there everybody,

You are spot on actually. See here:

"There are no moral absolutes in Buddhism and it is recognized that ethical decision-making involves a complex nexus of causes and conditions.'Buddhism' encompasses a wide spectrum of beliefs and practices, and the canonical scriptures leave room for a range of interpretations. All of these are grounded in a theory of intentionality, and individuals are encouraged to analyze issues carefully for themselves. ... When making moral choices, individuals are advised to examine their motivation--whether aversion, individuals are advised to examine their motivation--whether aversion, attachment, ignorance, wisdom, or compassion--and to weigh the consequences of their actions in light of the Buddha's teachings."

http://www.buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/morality1.ht

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I myself have been trying to get a grasp of the role of Buddhism in the perspective of the Japanese Samurai culture and whether or not Samurai is a legitimate outgrowth of Buddhism. If anybody could tell me where to find that information I'd appreciate it.
    I would say that they are independent phenomena. Bushido was influenced by Buddhism, but it evolved as part of Japanese feudalism, and would have existed even if there were no Buddhism. What samurais got from Buddhism depends on the individual samurai. Yamaoka Teshu is probably better known today for his mastery of Zen than his mastery of sword fighting. Miyamoto Musachi, on the other hand, developed his own beliefs independently of Buddhism. Dogen was opposed to mixing Buddhism and bushido, while other Zen teachers took a different view.

Edit; I just read the Wikipedia article on Bushido. It gives you a better idea of bushido's origins than I can give you.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks. I'll go read that. I just have not yet found a real rationale in terms of Buddhism and that kind of killing, although I guess if I examine my own quotation of HHDL there might be something. It's a tough question.

I think I remember- maybe in the Jataka stories- the Buddha, in a previous incarnation, was in a position that he had to kill to prevent worse killing (something like that). If I find that I'll post it but my internet connection is unpredictable.

Edit:

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> I found this on khandro.net:

http://www.khandro.net/dailylife_war.htm

It is true, however, that one Jataka relates that in a former existence, the Buddha then captain of a ferryboat with 500 merchant -bodhisattvas on board, undertook to murder a pirate who planned to kill everyone in order to steal the cargo. The late Chagdud Tulku (d. 2003) wrote about this incident in "Bodhisattva Warriors:"

The captain, a bodhisattva himself, saw the man's murderous
    intention and realized this crime would result in eons of torment for
    the murderer. In his compassion, the captain was willing to take
    hellish torment upon himself by killing the man to prevent karmic
    suffering that would be infinity greater than the suffering of the
    murdered victims. The captain's compassion was impartial; his
    motivation was utterly selfless.

But also in this teaching, Chagdud Tulku provided the example of how to deal with the current conflict, saying:

. . . I pray that this war will prevent greater wars, greater suffering, and that those opposed to war develop the skills to bring about authentic peace. We cannot fully discern the motivation of any participants involved in the conflict, but it is unlikely that many have the ability to bring about ultimate liberation for friends and enemies alike, or that they will be able to sustain the bodhisattva's impartial compassion as they engage in conflict.

What we can know is our own minds. We can adhere to Buddhist ideals in our activities, whether we are combatants, protestors, decision-makers or concerned witnesses. We can pray that whatever virtue there is in the situation prevails, that genuine peace be established. The Buddha has taught that throughout countless lifetimes all beings have been our parents and have shown us great kindness. Now they have fallen under the sway of the mind's poisons of desire, anger, ignorance, and they suffer terribly. Could we exclude any from our compassion any more than the sun could exclude any from the warmth and radiance of its rays [?]
  • edited July 2010
    Hey everybody,

It turned out to be a very interessting discussion after all, if you ask me.

Thickpaper, thanks for explaining karma, I've always refused to see karma as some sort of a magical force or celestial bank account. I now have a clearer vision of what is does mean.

I find the introduction of the "Skillfull means" very interessting.

"And what is skillful? Abstaining from taking life is skillful, abstaining from taking what is not given... from sexual misconduct... from lying... from abusive speech... from divisive tale-bearing... abstaining from idle chatter is skillful. Lack of covetousness... lack of ill will... right views are skillful. These things are called skillful."
    [....]
    If you make exceptions in your promise to yourself — trying to justify killing in cases where you feel endangered or inconvenienced by another being's existence — your gift of freedom is limited, and you lose your share in limitless freedom. Thus the gift of freedom, to be fully effective, has to be unconditional, with no room for exceptions, no matter how noble they may sound, of any kind.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

Thanks you Vilhjalmr for that link.

Now I don't think that this contradicts Transmethaphicals points, that it lies within the realm of intentionality.

It's quite a lot to grasp for a beginner like me but I sure am intruiged.

Peace,

Dirk
  • edited July 2010
    Buddhism has no morality. Buddhism does not lay out a moral view and command that you stick to it. Buddhism is the realization that you don't exist as an individual, only as a part of the complete whole. There is no other to be moral to when there is only the self. Is the body making moral decisions when it attacks invading germs or recycles old cells? Absolutely not. In the same way there is no morality in your interactions with other beings. There is only one sin of Buddhism, pretending that you are a you and not all of Reality.
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited July 2010
    As he spoke, the beggar brushed from the table before him a red, crawling beetle, the size of a thumbnail, and he moved his sandal as if to crush it.
    "Pray brother, please do not harm it," said a monk.
    "But they are all over the place, and the masters of karma have stated that a man cannot be reincarnated as an insect, and the killing of an insect is a karmically inoperative act."
    "Nevertheless," said the monk, "all life being one, in this monastery all do practice the doctrine of ahimsa and refrain from taking life of any sort."
    "Yet," said the beggar, "Patanjali does state that it is the intention rather than the act that governs. Therefore, if I killed with love rather than malice, it would be as if I had not killed. I confess that this was not the case and that malice was present - therefore, even if I did not kill I do bear the burden of the guilt because of the presence of that intention. So I could step upon it now and be none the worse for it, according to the principle of ahimsa. Since I am a guest, however, I of course respect the practice and do not do this thing." With this, he moved his sandal away from the insect, which stood immobile, reddish antennae pricked upward.
    "Indeed, he is a scholar," said one of the monks.

-Zalazny [Lord of Light]
  • edited July 2010
    Irris wrote: »
    As he spoke, the beggar brushed from the table before him a red, crawling beetle, the size of a thumbnail, and he moved his sandal as if to crush it.
    "Pray brother, please do not harm it," said a monk.
    "But they are all over the place, and the masters of karma have stated that a man cannot be reincarnated as an insect, and the killing of an insect is a karmically inoperative act."
    "Nevertheless," said the monk, "all life being one, in this monastery all do practice the doctrine of ahimsa and refrain from taking life of any sort."
    "Yet," said the beggar, "Patanjali does state that it is the intention rather than the act that governs. Therefore, if I killed with love rather than malice, it would be as if I had not killed. I confess that this was not the case and that malice was present - therefore, even if I did not kill I do bear the burden of the guilt because of the presence of that intention. So I could step upon it now and be none the worse for it, according to the principle of ahimsa. Since I am a guest, however, I of course respect the practice and do not do this thing." With this, he moved his sandal away from the insect, which stood immobile, reddish antennae pricked upward.
    "Indeed, he is a scholar," said one of the monks.

-Zalazny [Lord of Light]
    Hey Irris,

Interessting quote you have there, could you tell me where you found it?

Thanks in advance,

peace,

Dirk
  • edited July 2010
    Irris wrote: »
    "Patanjali does state that it is the intention rather than the act that governs...

-Zalazny [Lord of Light]

Who is Patanjali, and who is Zalzany? Are these authoritative Buddhist sources?
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks you Vilhjalmr for that link.

I think maybe it was me who provided the link to the Sigalovada Sutta for you, Dirk :)

It's certainly a good idea for you to first investigate the Buddha's core teachings in the Pali Canon before checking out what the different traditions and their various teachers have to say.

• edited July 2010
    birdshine wrote: »
    Buddhism has no morality.

This is a totally inaccurate statement. The Buddha's teachings on morality are clearly outlined in the Pali Canon.

Example:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sila/index.html

• edited July 2010
    Who is Patanjali, and who is Zalzany? Are these authoritative Buddhist sources?
    Zelazny is a science fiction author. He is excellent, and Lord of Light is one of my prized possessions, but I disagree with his interpretation there.
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I think maybe it was me who provided the link to the Sigalovada Sutta for you, Dirk :)
    Aw, shucks!
  • edited July 2010
    Zelazny is a science fiction author...

I looked at Wikipedia and elsewhere, and I found Patanjali, but it didn't seem as though he was Buddhist.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    In Buddhism three factors contribute to the merit or demerit of an act. The first is the intention for the act, was it motivated by positive or negative emotions (including ignorance). The second is the act itself, actions which help beings create merit and actions which harm them create demerit. The third is rejoicing or regretting an act after doing it, which strengthen or weaken the effect. Vasubhandu says in the Abhidharmakosha that when an army rejoices in victory after a battle, they all experience the same karma as the soldiers who fought in the battle.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    birdshine wrote: »
    Buddhism has no morality. Buddhism does not lay out a moral view and command that you stick to it. Buddhism is the realization that you don't exist as an individual, only as a part of the complete whole. There is no other to be moral to when there is only the self. Is the body making moral decisions when it attacks invading germs or recycles old cells? Absolutely not. In the same way there is no morality in your interactions with other beings. There is only one sin of Buddhism, pretending that you are a you and not all of Reality.

You really are fixated on this you/not you, thing, aren't you? (not-you?)

I really think you need to re-examine this aspect of Buddhism, not from a Zen foundation, but from a Pali/Theravada point of view. Theravada texts are after all, the most ancient and original teachings of the Buddha.
    Please do some more studying, as I think you've latched onto something and caught it by the tail, rather than the business, nitty-gritty end.

Oh and by the way - Buddhism has more Morality than you can shake a stick at.
    Although you are right - Buddhism doesn't 'command' anything.....
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I really think you need to re-examine this aspect of Buddhism, not from a Zen foundation, but from a Pali/Theravada point of view. Theravada texts are after all, the most ancient and original teachings of the Buddha.....
    Not to defend this "Enlightened" guy or anything, but your suggestion that someone who is investigating zen should look into the real thing, Theravada assumes Zen does not have moral teaching, and is not complete in and of itself. Put the shoe on the other foot, think of someone saying you need to re-examine from a non-Theravadin point of view, a Zen point of view, in order get out of your limitations.

Birdshine has no teacher, no sangha, and has not taken the precepts.
  • edited July 2010
    i don't think killing is ever a good thing no matter the intention, but i do think it is sometimes an understandable thing.

even if the buddha killed out of compassion when he was a bodhisatva, he would have never done that as an awakened being.

even though his act of killing may have lessened suffering. his actions of not killing led to his enlightenment. And his enlightenment had a far greater impact on suffering than killing.

so on the premise that an awakened being has by far a greater impact on suffering than one who breaks the precepts out of compassion
    I feel that killing is never a good thing but an understandable thing.
  • edited July 2010
    Regarding right speech, I'm reminded of this quote that I find rather helpful.
    The criteria for deciding what is worth saying

[1] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.
    [2] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.
    [3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.
    [4] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.
    [5] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.
    [6] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."
    MN 58

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/index.html
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited July 2010
    Zelazny is a science fiction author. He is excellent, and Lord of Light is one of my prized possessions, but I disagree with his interpretation there.
    Yeah, it is not my view either, but I thought it might be an interesting addition to the topic :)
    And sorry to anyone who may have thought I was referencing an "authoritative Buddhist source." It is merely a snippet of a fictional story, heavily cloaked in Buddhist concepts, which I found amusing and relevant.
  • edited July 2010
    i know, i was only using it to put in my two cents. I've should have expressed myself a lot better
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hello there everybody,

Peace,

Dirk

Yes, in Christianity, you are commanded not to lie. And if you do not obey, you will go to hell.

While in Buddhism, you are already in hell (samsara). And if you wish to get out of hell, not-lying is one of the recommendations (among many others).

As for the action-intention debate:
    There are some here that say that intention is everything, and it is not the action but the intention that counts. I do not know how to reconcile this with what my teacher teaches.

He teaches that both count. If you kill by accident, the karmic result is not as strong as when one kills deliberately, but there is still karmic result. By the same token, to do something that benefits others without the intention does not earn as much merit as that which is done with intention. And, finally, to intend harm, even if you do not act on it, has karmic result.

Perhaps the discrepancy is due to different schools of Buddhism holding different views ... my teacher has been a monk since age 12 and is from the Dalai Lama's monastery, so his mastery is in Tibetan Buddhism..