Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Creating a space...

edited September 2010 in Sanghas
I was thinking about making myself an altar in the coming weeks. I am already in possession of a large statue of Buddha and candles and incense etc. Today I got some rose bushes which I planted in my garden and while doing so I though "What if I wanted an outdoor altar?" Obviously fountains and statues would make this possible and so how to go about making an outdoor altar isn't my question. My question is what kind of plants and herbs are related to meditation and Buddha?

Comments

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited May 2010
    raquels wrote: »
    I was thinking about making myself an altar in the coming weeks. I am already in possession of a large statue of Buddha and candles and incense etc. Today I got some rose bushes which I planted in my garden and while doing so I though "What if I wanted an outdoor altar?" Obviously fountains and statues would make this possible and so how to go about making an outdoor altar isn't my question. My question is what kind of plants and herbs are related to meditation and Buddha?

Bodhi Trees. Bonzai. You name it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Consider plants with an oriental slant. Think of how beautiful a Zen Graden is, even if you do not practice Zen Buddhism.... Shade, Acers, bamboo, gravel, mossy stones.... did you know there is a bamboo called Buddha's belly?
    Ginkho Biloba, a koi pond, a bamboo fountain, azaleas and rhododendrons........
    Oooooh, I can't wait to make mine!
  • edited May 2010
    Wow thats an interesting looking bamboo. I kinda see why it's called Buddha's Belly.
  • edited May 2010
    I would love to have an outdoor shrine but sadly my thumb is not green at all. So I chose to have an indoor one, but do have a bonsai tree as a sign of respect for all living things.

I take daily walks in which I reflect\mediate on nature, as well as do walking mediation a few times a week with my local Sangha.

Anyway, you can see what my shrine looks like at my "Spiritual Path" page on my blog if you scroll to the bottom of the page here.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    about a water pound, or fountain, or bird pool?

and if you can and it is big enough, you could try to grow a lotus flower in it.
  • edited May 2010
    Bodhi trees? In Washington state? I doubt they would survive the climate. Frederica's proposition of a Zen garden sounds more appropriate. But even here in Thailand we don't plant Bodhi trees in residential gardens, because they are reserved for temple grounds. Some can be seen in open fields.

The problem with an outdoor shrine in WA -I would imagine- is that meditation might become quite uncomfortable in the winter (blue lips meditation?). :smilec:

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited May 2010
    The cold isn't too bad. It's the rain. I have a covered space that i was thinking of using. I honestly find the sound of the rain to be very soothing and if I placed a bench under the cover I could listen to the rain. But plants that survive in shade with lots of moisture? Idk...
  • edited June 2010
    The plant most associated with the Buddha is probably the lotus.
  • edited July 2010
    Where in Europe could I get Bonsai trees and buddhist altar supplies?I thought,while writing this message,that I would be simple:I'd put my Buddha statue on the window sill.The window is in a place I had desired for meditation.Sorry for my bad English,but I'm from Finland,so we don't speak foreign languages anyway.
    edited July 2010
    wertyupf wrote: »
    Where in Europe could I get Bonsai trees and buddhist altar supplies?I thought,while writing this message,that I would be simple:I'd put my Buddha statue on the window sill.The window is in a place I had desired for meditation.Sorry for my bad English,but I'm from Finland,so we don't speak foreign languages anyway.

You can find ( I guess) bonsai trees in nearly every botanic shop ( the shop that sells flowers and plants...not drugs). As for Buddha statues , Antique Shops would be a solution.
  • edited July 2010
    I know one shop in Tampere(probably 2nd largest city in Finland)that sells Buddha statues.I'm gonna get a Hotei(fat buddha) statue from there,and if I'm happy meditating,I use that statue,but if I'm not,then I'll use the other statue,cause it's thin and hungry(not as fat as it should be)
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm not from the western , more developed countries in Europe, but from what I've seen in my own country, Romania, you can find small Ho Tei ( fat Buddha) statues even in a gas station ( I bought one from a gas station :lol::lol: ).
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    No need for a green thumb. How about a Japanese garden: raked sand and 3 rocks? How Zen is that?
  • edited July 2010
    That's extremely Zen.I'll also buy some pink decorative sand and find pretty rocks and so on...
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I'm not from the western , more developed countries in Europe...

"more developed" haha.Yes,we have Nokia,but we also have cities like Turku(medieval cities) in great condition,we have farms,forests,lakes,nature parks,etc.We're not that developed after all.
    edited July 2010
    "more developed" haha.Yes,we have Nokia,but we also have cities like Turku(medieval cities) in great condition,we have farms,forests,lakes,nature parks,etc.We're not that developed after all.

It looks like *put sunglasses on* you're one with the nature :cool: .
    In my country...nature is destryed day by day. Our historical buildings and so on are left to crumble (most of them) . :(
  • edited July 2010
    Yes,I'm a nature-loving,tree-hugging hippie,like most of my friends/family. :D
  • edited August 2010
    THis is a really fun thread.

I'm working on clearing one of the extra rooms in my house for a space of my own, I can't wait when its done. Having your own space to meditate and study is very important, it reminds you that no matter who else lives with you *if anyone* or who your neighbors are, you are an individual. BEst of luck Raquels!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Sorry for my bad English,but I'm from Finland,so we don't speak foreign languages anyway.

Sure you do! You speak Finnish (and probably very well, too)! :)

Mtns

PS: You might appreciate this joke if it translates into Finnish at all... "How do you tell if you are talking to an extroverted Finn? Answer: he stares at your shoes instead of his shoes." :)

Miten kertoa, jos puhuvat ulospäinsuuntautunut suomalainen? Vastaus: hän tuijottaa kengät sijasta hänen kengät.
  • edited September 2010
    I know that joke,and it sounds like this in Finnish: Mistä tiedät,että suomalainen on ystävällinen ja ulospäinsuuntautunut ihminen? -Keskusteltaessa hän katsoo sinun jalkojasi eikä omiaan.
  • edited September 2010
    When I made my outside alter I planted bamboo and lots of flowers. Mostly lotus lillies for my pond and roses behind my statue. For you pond you might wnat to get some lillies or lotus lillies :)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    raquels wrote: »

How wonderful, Raquel.

Blessings to you, girl.
  • edited September 2010
    The best thing you could possibly use is something from your own environment. Make your buddhism yours, just the same as cultures all over the world have.
  • edited September 2010
    i grew up just outside of olympia and I have to say...... Meditation outside would be horrible! But than again, an experienced practitioner can meditate wherever they please