Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Excellent analogy of what happens during meditation.

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited August 2010 in Meditation
I happened across this and found it to be a excellent analogy of what happens during "quiet the mind" meditation. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. A video is worth 10,000! I think it gives a good picture of what not to do and also what to do. Also, the result of doing it "incorrectly" vs "correctly".

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9l-YYqjhVi4&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9l-YYqjhVi4&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    hahahaha, I had to look a few times and wait for it to load, then realised there it was! Just like in real life. people often look for it, this supreme thing in meditation. They try so hard and it is right there the whole time.. Nothing, just let go and be in the moment :)

Or am I actually missing something and it is not loading on my laptop :P haha
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It's supposed to be a youtube video :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-YYqjhVi4
    edited July 2010
    lol, hilarious. I now see the video this time around :P before hand there was just a huge blank area where the video is lol.. seeing as my connection is particulary bad tonight,I cannot watch it :( I just saw some guy that looked like he was involved in a martial art of sorts lol
  • edited July 2010
    Yep, been there, done that..
    edited July 2010
    Having just watched the video, I must agree that it does say 10,000 words :p It is quite profound for sure. Are you guys able to maintain a meditative state with major distractions such as a fly in the room or a baby crying next door?
  • edited July 2010
    Even worse! i have these "bums" fighting daily in the park under my window :) Its horrible! Sometimes im able to fit that yelling "i have boooooooooooze...!!!" into my meditation practice, sometimes.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It takes a lot of determination and patience. When you realize that forbearance is a joyful practice it becomes much easier. When the annoyance come up it is a joyful opportunity to practice forbearance. Also unconditional friendliness with yourself to not make a big deal out of it when you 'lose it' and to just catch yourself.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Great video. It's not easy to meditate when the conditions are so "adverse" sometimes, but if you are able to let go and accept the moment for what it is, then it can be done.
    edited July 2010
    yea, i understand that you should let go of certain thoughts such as past and future, what will i eat later blabla, but when I get these distractions my mind instantly jumps to them like a dog chasing a stick. I must say though, I have realised that the distractions are slightly less distracting than when I first started out, I guess it is a gradual process :)
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I love this! Thanks for sharing!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Great video! :)

Mtns
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Thank you very much from sharing this. It so makes sense. I haven't quite gotten to the flowery garden stage, yet :)