Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Naomi Wolf thinks the Tea Partiers fight Fascism

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Davey, by hating them you keep the cycle going. As I stated before, the teachings are that we have all committed even worse crimes in past lives, so who are we to judge? It is better to recognize that we are all the same in our true nature, despite our confusion and delusion. No one is better than anyone else, and no one is worse than anyone else. Yes, it's not the way we are taught to think. But has that ordinary thinking gotten us liberated from the wheel of death and rebirth?

Palzang
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'll be the first to say being ordinary gets you nowhere ;) And well said Mr P :D
  • edited August 2010
    would you feel compassionate towards someone if he killed a person who was close to you.
    edited August 2010
    I don't think so :o
  • edited August 2010
    ^^^ so you got my point.

those idiots who crashed into world trade center, killing thousands of people in the process don't deserve any compassion.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Actually they need it more than anyone because the causes they created will mean endless suffering for them.

Palzang
    edited August 2010
    Exactamundo, but it doesn't mean, when I'd recovered, I wouldn't try a develop compassion...
  • edited August 2010
    I just don't want to agree with you guys. but maybe I will understand it. Maybe.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Sure, of course. I've noticed that often I don't really get some particular teaching until I've heard about a hundred times! It just takes time for it all to sink in because it's so radically different from the way we are taught to think. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Palzang
  • edited August 2010
    Palzang,
    I totally disagree with you. Just because people have gotten fed up with getting raped by their reps., doesn't make them racists, or xenophobes. I gave up on America 11 yrs. ago, and have only visited twice in that time. I see the tea party people as folks, ineffectual I'm sure, but trying to cause a change, on a sinking ship. I say good for them, but also too little too late. I'm certain things are going to get much worse back home, and I'm quite content to sit it out over here. But adversity will bring out the strength in the American people again, and the culture and its people will become something better than the weak pieces of shit they have been for the last few decades. One question though: Why do you hate white people so much? I am actually ambivalent to people's outside coverings, but feel a little cold when I see a white man put down his own people. Either you have been brainwashed into hating yourself, or else you are trying to mask your own racism, in order to score brownis pts. from the opposite more liberal sex, I'm guessin. And its a little suprising coming from a buddhist who shows himself off wearing the robes. I'm guessin your actually a poseur, and a hack, who loves to dress up for everyday Halloween, and get some real needed attention. Try having some respect for yourself Hage(thats Japanese... ask one of your friend to translate) :)
  • edited August 2010
    Palzang,
    One more thing. If we are all one, then what is wrong with people being racists? In fact, being all facets of the same one, wouldn't you agree that the more diverse, and even pathological among "us" is in fact a good thing, and contributes to the experience of all of "us"? Wouldn't the whole experience be a waste, and boring as hell, if everyone loved everyone, (or at least pretended ;)...right, buddy?) and became a mindless hippy wannabe, toxic character assassinator, such as yourself? Its better to hate without reason, than to be spineless in the shadows, and full of one's own self-deluded sense of superiority. By the way, I just joined this forum, and I'm glad to make friends with all. Even you, Palzang :) Cheers!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Skotowms, if I have to explain to you what is wrong with people being racist, I don't see much hope in having a conversation with you. Have you seen the signs people carry at teabagger rallies? Have you heard their illogical, incoherent rants? Totally racist, homophobic trash. If your idea of everybody being equal is that anybody can do anything they want, I would suggest you actually study the Buddha's teachings. That is not at all what he meant when he said that we're all equal.

Palzang
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Wow.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    And if you'd like to know what the whole "teabagger revolution" is really about, read this editorial in the New York Times.

Palzang
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    ^^^ so you got my point.

those idiots who crashed into world trade center, killing thousands of people in the process don't deserve any compassion.

davey, as mahatma gandhi said, "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." what he is really saying here is that you cannot fight hatred with hatred. at some point someone has to stand up and be the bigger person and forgive, otherwise it will never end.

do you really think that those who crashed into the world trade center were born with this mission? no, they were disillusioned. it is not human nature to wish to destroy each other and our hatred will only create more people like this... that is, if it doesn't destroy us first. hatred often hurts the hater much more than the hated.
  • Buddha_RocketBuddha_Rocket Explorer
    edited August 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    And if you'd like to know what the whole "teabagger revolution" is really about, read this editorial in the New York Times.

Palzang

OBAMA (DEMOCRAT) TOP CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTORS
    University of California $1,591,395
    Goldman Sachs $994,795
    Harvard University $854,747
    Microsoft Corp $833,617
    Google Inc $803,436
    Citigroup Inc $701,290
    JPMorgan Chase & Co $695,132
    Time Warner $590,084
    Sidley Austin LLP $588,598
    Stanford University $586,557
    National Amusements Inc $551,683
    UBS AG $543,219
    Wilmerhale Llp $542,618
    Skadden, Arps et al $530,839
    IBM Corp $528,822
    Columbia University $528,302
    Morgan Stanley $514,881
    General Electric $499,130
    US Government $494,820
    Latham & Watkins $493,835

"Here is the basic and apparently horrifying fact: There are millions of people, including me, including the Kochs, including people who have never heard of the Koch family, who feel some basic bedrock affinity for the notion that that government is best which governs least. There are a thousand disagreements about the details, but that American tradition is real, and sporadically potent. As it gathers strength in advance of November (and hopefully long beyond), it will be interesting–and so, so pleasurable–to watch people continue criticizing what they can't understand."

http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/29/thats-rich-frank

Down with the statists. The liberal view is crumbling before their eyes. Good.
    edited August 2010
    skotowms wrote: »
    Palzang,
    One more thing. If we are all one, then what is wrong with people being racists? In fact, being all facets of the same one, wouldn't you agree that the more diverse, and even pathological among "us" is in fact a good thing, and contributes to the experience of all of "us"? Wouldn't the whole experience be a waste, and boring as hell, if everyone loved everyone, (or at least pretended ;)...right, buddy?) and became a mindless hippy wannabe, toxic character assassinator, such as yourself? Its better to hate without reason, than to be spineless in the shadows, and full of one's own self-deluded sense of superiority. By the way, I just joined this forum, and I'm glad to make friends with all. Even you, Palzang :) Cheers!
    And, Davey, as we see with this wonderful example of a person one could feel hatred towards, I'm sure we wouldn't make them any more open-minded and stuff with hatred.
    Happiness be with you friend.
  • edited August 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    davey, as mahatma gandhi said, "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." what he is really saying here is that you cannot fight hatred with hatred. at some point someone has to stand up and be the bigger person and forgive, otherwise it will never end.

do you really think that those who crashed into the world trade center were born with this mission? no, they were disillusioned. it is not human nature to wish to destroy each other and our hatred will only create more people like this... that is, if it doesn't destroy us first. hatred often hurts the hater much more than the hated.

I understand that.... they have been trained when they were just kids, told they will go to heaven and will get 40(?) virgins when they kill others in the name of Islam or whatever. these kids will grow up and teach others to do the same thing. what can be done to break this cycle?

Kill them all, everyone? nuke the whole country <sounds a really great idea to me> :( or maybe not.
  • edited August 2010
    OK. What is the reason people are racist?
    edited August 2010

It's another form of tribalism.
    edited August 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »

Collectivism.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010

much the same reason that you gave for why people are suicide bombers.

people are raised with these beliefs. they don't get enough exposure to other races, which would probably change their previous mindset (ignorance). when they do gain exposure, probably later in life, not only do they respond in fear or anger (which has a result on what feedback they receive from this person)... but their own confirmation bias make them see what they want to see.

it's like the famous picture comparison that was made around the time of hurricane katrina in new orleans:

looting6437481.jpg

the person who made this article clearly was a racist, but they may not have meant to be. their prejudice has diluted their mind. they saw the african american, and because of their racist feelings, took the act of taking food from a grocery store (which was probably already destroyed) and gave it the negative term "looting". however, when they see the white people, they don't feel negatively toward the situation and say that they "found" the food. when in reality, anyone can see that the act is exactly the same in both cases. confirmation bias makes you see what you want to see in the situation. this is how people continue to be racist.

there is a reason that stereotypes exist and more often than not, it is because SOME people ARE like that. it becomes prejudice when you allow that idea to make EVERY person who is that race or sex or sexuality seem that way in your mind.

the correct attitude is to try and see every person as no different than yourself. try not to let previous experiences dilute your view of this person and instead allow them to be their own person, a clean slate. we are all the sum of many different experiences in life, and while some groups may have similar struggles or experiences, it would be foolish to assume that it will affect each person in the same way... thus making them the same.
  • edited September 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »

hmm. another word to describe it.
  • edited September 2010
    much the same reason that you gave for why people are suicide bombers.

people are raised with these beliefs. they don't get enough exposure to other races, which would probably change their previous mindset (ignorance). when they do gain exposure, probably later in life, not only do they respond in fear or anger (which has a result on what feedback they receive from this person)... but their own confirmation bias make them see what they want to see.

it's like the famous picture comparison that was made around the time of hurricane katrina in new orleans:

looting6437481.jpg

the person who made this article clearly was a racist, but they may not have meant to be. their prejudice has diluted their mind. they saw the african american, and because of their racist feelings, took the act of taking food from a grocery store (which was probably already destroyed) and gave it the negative term "looting". however, when they see the white people, they don't feel negatively toward the situation and say that they "found" the food. when in reality, anyone can see that the act is exactly the same in both cases. confirmation bias makes you see what you want to see in the situation. this is how people continue to be racist.

there is a reason that stereotypes exist and more often than not, it is because SOME people ARE like that. it becomes prejudice when you allow that idea to make EVERY person who is that race or sex or sexuality seem that way in your mind.

the correct attitude is to try and see every person as no different than yourself. try not to let previous experiences dilute your view of this person and instead allow them to be their own person, a clean slate. we are all the sum of many different experiences in life, and while some groups may have similar struggles or experiences, it would be foolish to assume that it will affect each person in the same way... thus making them the same.

nice example. miserable world. :(
    edited September 2010
    nice example. miserable world. :(

samsara. ;)

you asked me why i thought people were racist, i simply answered your question. but if you want my opinion, i think it's getting better all the time. i think the internet has made us a much closer world than we could imagine. no need for frowns. :grin:

a small example, i returned home for a visit a few weeks ago and went out to breakfast with my mother at a local diner. as we were about to leave, i saw the two cutest gay high school boys and about died. i have never seen anyone be openly gay in my town... it was... awesome. i'm so happy that my little town is growing up :bawling:
    edited September 2010
    Collectivism.

Explain.
    edited September 2010
    "Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist."

- Ron Paul
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul381.html

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    mjr6.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Racists, homophobes and sexists are just scared, deluded little children who never grew up ;)
    edited September 2010

That is incredibly annoying :mad: There are people in my school who think every Pakistani is a suicide terrorist (obviously not true), girl speak in really squeeky voice and act really girlish (which is so obviously not true you want to scrape said person's eyes out) and that all gay people flap their hands about and have high voices (which is also shockingly obviously amazingly clearly not true because not a single human being ever has or will do a 'friend' of mine's impression of a gay person). It's those things that make me really want to (excuse the hateful speech) but hurt somebody to the extent of permanent damage, if not death. Which also isn't very good on my part, but we can't all be perfect :wtf:
    edited September 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    That is incredibly annoying :mad: There are people in my school who think every Pakistani is a suicide terrorist (obviously not true), girl speak in really squeeky voice and act really girlish (which is so obviously not true you want to scrape said person's eyes out) and that all gay people flap their hands about and have high voices (which is also shockingly obviously amazingly clearly not true because not a single human being ever has or will do a 'friend' of mine's impression of a gay person). It's those things that make me really want to (excuse the hateful speech) but hurt somebody to the extent of permanent damage, if not death. Which also isn't very good on my part, but we can't all be perfect :wtf:

as frustrating as it may be, remember that the person whom is racist or believes all gay men are complete queens is just as deserving of compassion as the minorities themselves. all it is is ignorance. be thankful that you are among the few who can see and recognize this. and remember your anger only hurts yourself. they aren't the person carrying around this burden of unwanted feelings, you are. try not to let them effect you in this way.

but i have to a say... a slight guilty pleasure of mine when things like this happen... most people would not know that i am gay to look at me. i'm not your typical femme girl, but i'm not a stereotypical lesbian either. so it does happen often that in places like work, people will say very ignorant things about gay people and expect that i agree. it scares the crap out of them when instead you just say, "you know, you should really be more careful who you talk to. one of the odd things about being gay is that you can't tell who is and who isn't."

i know i shouldn't take pleasure in watching people put their foot in their mouth... but it is rather satisfying. for some reason or another, prejudice views really do seem to thrive on a group mentality. it really throws a wrench at people when you don't agree with them and their flawed thinking. i take a similar approach to racists or sexists or people who discriminate against transgenders, for example. the point is, just don't join in. it makes them feel weird.
    edited September 2010
    I totally agree with you, the people who need compassion the most are the least deserving ;)

And I can't blame you for your guilty pleasure, it does sound quite fun :lol: I always try and make the 'normals' feel weird. My dad and his girlfriend and her kids are all homophobic and racist so they thrive off each other's hateful energy :eek: Plus I always tell people who consider themselves normal and some other people weird I just tell them I feel sorry for them because not a single person who's ever made it into the history's books or left their mark on the world or did anything great (be it good or bad) were normal. Normal is for the slackers of this world. Do hummingbirds get the nectre other animals can't by having normal sized bills? Do squirrels have the ability to flit through the trees and, as a whole species, we incredibly successful by being normal? Do hunting dogs get their prey by having normal stamina? Have most birds and some mammals conquered the sky by having normal bones? No. They haven't have they? Hm?
    And then I look that person straight in the eye and say, :PWNED:
    edited September 2010
    just don't join in. it makes them feel weird.

True. One of my class mates as a joke once said,
    "Let's go gay hunting for you birthday," (to Callum). Then Callum said something to do with handbags (:rolleyes:) and they both started laughing but just ignored them and carried on with my work and their laughter just sort of died and you could cut the atmosphere with a blunt hammer :lol:
    edited September 2010
    "Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist."

- Ron Paul

This coming from someone who published a, at times, staggeringly racist newsletter? Sorry, but I don't put much stock into what Ron Paul says there.
    edited September 2010
    "Let's go gay hunting for you birthday," (to Callum). Then Callum said something to do with handbags (:rolleyes:) and they both started laughing but just ignored them and carried on with my work and their laughter just sort of died and you could cut the atmosphere with a blunt hammer :lol:

:( it's the most unfortunate when they take it from simply being an ignorant joke, to implying violence and even making light of the fact. i've been there before and i think i would have done just as you did. it's best to be calm and collected and wow them with some amazing insight that makes them realize how wrong they are! ....but if you can't do that, and you find you can't respond without anger, it's best to just not respond at all.
  • edited September 2010
    samsara. ;)

you asked me why i thought people were racist, i simply answered your question. but if you want my opinion, i think it's getting better all the time. i think the internet has made us a much closer world than we could imagine. no need for frowns. :grin:

a small example, i returned home for a visit a few weeks ago and went out to breakfast with my mother at a local diner. as we were about to leave, i saw the two cutest gay high school boys and about died. i have never seen anyone be openly gay in my town... it was... awesome. i'm so happy that my little town is growing up :bawling:

I have to agree to that... Internet has brought everyone closer and put everything in the open, and because of it people are viewing certain things from a different/ more open angle. The concept of what is right or wrong or normal has also changed. And yeah... It is a great thing that people are taking a more open minded view of things.
  • edited September 2010

- Ron Paul

Spot on explanation.... I would like to add one word -
    Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial SUPERIOR physical characteristics are alike
    They think they are superior than anyone else. god knows why :hrm:
  • edited September 2010
    Racists, homophobes and sexists are just scared, deluded little children who never grew up ;)

I think they just hide behind that facade.
  • edited September 2010
    I totally agree with you, the people who need compassion the most are the least deserving ;)

And I can't blame you for your guilty pleasure, it does sound quite fun :lol: I always try and make the 'normals' feel weird. My dad and his girlfriend and her kids are all homophobic and racist so they thrive off each other's hateful energy :eek: Plus I always tell people who consider themselves normal and some other people weird I just tell them I feel sorry for them because not a single person who's ever made it into the history's books or left their mark on the world or did anything great (be it good or bad) were normal. Normal is for the slackers of this world. Do hummingbirds get the nectre other animals can't by having normal sized bills? Do squirrels have the ability to flit through the trees and, as a whole species, we incredibly successful by being normal? Do hunting dogs get their prey by having normal stamina? Have most birds and some mammals conquered the sky by having normal bones? No. They haven't have they? Hm?
    And then I look that person straight in the eye and say, :PWNED:

Hey are you going against every normal person out there ??? :(
  • edited September 2010

it sorta like you need two hands to clap/make sound.
    edited September 2010
    :( it's the most unfortunate when they take it from simply being an ignorant joke, to implying violence and even making light of the fact. i've been there before and i think i would have done just as you did. it's best to be calm and collected and wow them with some amazing insight that makes them realize how wrong they are! ....but if you can't do that, and you find you can't respond without anger, it's best to just not respond at all.
    Yep
    edited September 2010
    I think they just hide behind that facade.
    Very true, it's proven that men who are certain and not deluded about their heterosexuality aren't usually homophobic. Therefore homophobes are uncertain about their own sexuality, usually, and probably think saying nasty things about LGBT they think that makes them straight. Really it makes them deluded jerks.
    edited September 2010
    Hey are you going against every normal person out there ??? :(
    Go back to Normaland, Normie :p
    edited September 2010
    :wavey:
    edited September 2010
    There was this boy in my class and he called someone gay and said because they were gay they needed to be moved to a different school. I just said they only have special school for people with special need *cough cough hint hint* :o
    edited September 2010
    If schools weren't controlled by the government, and people had more choice, maybe there could be schools that tailored to gay kids and their needs.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    If schools weren't controlled by the government, and people had more choice, maybe there could be schools that tailored to gay kids and their needs.

Like what, being surrounded by hot guys?
    edited September 2010

they do, just not many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Milk_High_School
    edited September 2010

I would support more school choice then.
    edited September 2010

I watched a film about Harvey's life. I think the gay school's a bad idea, think how you'd feel if they made a school just for straight kids. It's a terrible idea in fact, and I'm strongly against it.
    However, a support group would not be a bad idea. I'm of the same opinion towards special needs schools.