Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The awareness of the cosmic mudra that I have awaken to

The cosmic mudra seems important to me the more I sit. I think it is helpful for a beginner like myself to try and take notice of the mudra more closely. More specifically, take notice of the pressure between your thumbs.

When my mind is wondering off into never-neverland, I noticed my thumbs seem to drift apart and are no longer touching. I become aware of it, bring them back together lightly and begin again. Other times, when I am trying to sit real hard, I will become aware of the fact that my thumbs are mashed together so hard its almost cutting off circulation to them. Again, I notice it, loosen up my grip, and start again. For me personally this is a great way to remain relaxed and focused. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I adding extra stuff that doesn't need to be there?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    yes.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    ...when I am trying to sit real hard

How and why would you do that? :)

Mtns
  • edited September 2010
    Yes? Is that a Zen answer?
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Other times, when I am trying to sit real hard, I will become aware of the fact that my thumbs are mashed together so hard its almost cutting off circulation to them. Again, I notice it, loosen up my grip, and start again. For me personally this is a great way to remain relaxed and focused. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I adding extra stuff that doesn't need to be there?

I meditate with the same mudra. So yeah, I noticed the same stuff as you do. Only my grip never loosens, it only remains still or it get's tighter. Proberly cause i'm a kinda stressfull tight person.

working on that last :)
  • edited September 2010
    It's a pretty helpful technique. I used to do that too, but now I find it more effective to lift up my head when I'm feeling tired, and lower it when I'm stressed.
  • edited September 2010
    Beautiful,

You describe an interesting technique there for being mindful of a relaxed yet poised awareness.

I had never thought of a mudra being used in that way.

Thanks,
    Namkha
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I put my hands in the touching the earth mudra (or calming the mind). The hands are palms down on my knees. I think it comes back to Milarepa.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I put my hands in the touching the earth mudra (or calming the mind). The hands are palms down on my knees. I think it comes back to Milarepa.

I used that one when I get anxious after a 'longer' session...I switch from the cosmos to the earth.