Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help with stopping smoking...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm a recovered alcoholic and I've managed to stop drinking for a long time now, using the spiritual programme of AA (which I find has many similarities with Buddhism); but I am finding it difficult to stop smoking.

I've tried the following methods:

1. Willpower.
2. Alan Carr's Easyway Book.
3. An Alan Carr session.
4. Nicotine Gum.
5. Nicotine Tablets.
6. Champix (a prescription tablet, but it gave me severe depression)

So now, having failed the above attempts I'm looking for a 'spiritual solution' to stopping smoking. I believe the key is around acceptance; accepting that I will feel anxious, craving, and discomfort; and not only to accept these feelings, but to welcome them.

I can do this for short periods of time, but then I guess I lose my mindfullness, and succumb to a 'queer mental twist' (that's AA language) and smoke.

Can any of you ex smokers offer any of your experience at stopping smoking? Thanks in advance; it's killing me!

Regards,

Tosh

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Mindfulness along with a really good dose of non judgment. Often an addict is an addict because the substance they are addicted to is their medication.

The addict feels stress and takes their medication. The addict feels depressed and takes their medication. The addict feels whatever and takes their medication. The question is, does the medication actually alleviate the symptoms and is there a healthier medication that would alleviate the symptoms with fewer unpleasant side effects.

Negative self judgment is often what ails the addict and taking their medicine is a source of negative self judgment. Pay attention to what you say to yourself throughout your day. You may be berating yourself for your addiction and to alleviate the 'bad' you feel after berating yourself (likely without realizing you berated yourself) you turn to your meds to make you not feel so bad. It's a pretty vicious cycle. Feel bad, so smoke|drink. Feel bad about smoking|drinking so berate oneself. Feel bad from berating oneself about smoking|drinking, so take medicine (smoke|drink). On and on the wheel of karma spins.

here is my suggestion. Stop trying to quit. Trying to quit sets up a battle and a battle requires you to use will power. Will power for most of us isn't as tough as we would like. Will power alone is often no match for addiction rooted in unconscious issues. It's a loosing battle before it even starts.

So, perhaps make peace with the fact you are a smoker. Studies show you will likely live 10 or so fewer years than if you stopped smoking, but oh well. You like smoking, you enjoy smoking and why live at all if you can't enjoy your life?

So, instead of quitting, just practice mindfulness. Before you smoke take 3 mindful breaths. No self judgment, just mindful breaths. Do not permit yourself to ever smoke again without 3 mindful breaths before each smoke. Not a big deal right? It's just 3 breaths and it's free of any self judgment.

Just 3 breaths.

That is all.

Will you stop smoking in 3 breaths? No.

Will this eventually lead to your no longer smoking? Maybe, maybe not. It's not really important.

Take care of yourself in other ways and since you are going to smoke anyway you may as well use the time to take a few mindful breaths, right?

Just do that. Habitually.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The classic Buddhist prescription for addiction is cultivation of joy (one of the four immeasurables.) So far, I have not had much luck in mitigating my own addictions this way, though.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I have heard that Ajahn Chah used to smoke and one day someone told him (while he was smoking) "you shouldn't smoke, it's bad for your health". According to the story he put out the cigarette and didn't light another one ever again.
  • edited September 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    I have heard that Ajahn Chah used to smoke and one day someone told him (while he was smoking) "you shouldn't smoke, it's bad for your health". According to the story he put out the cigarette and didn't light another one ever again.

If only it were that easy ;) What smoker hasn't been told that 1,000 times before? What smoker doesn't realize it's bad for their health?
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2010
    It is too bad you had trouble with Champix. It really helped my wife.

For me, I went to a hypnotist named "Romaine"....yes, just like the lettuce.

I think he travels around from town to town and has TV commercials before he comes to town with the jingle 'Romaine has the answers"

I went there thinking it wouldn't work. I had been smoking for 13 years and still enjoyed smoking, but I was also the singer in a Rock band and felt it would be a good idea to quit.
    So first they take away your cigarettes and lighter.
    Then everyone lies down and he does his thing. He is very focused on positivity, so there are no messages of you are quitting, or smoking is bad or anything like that. Instead it is messages of I am a healthy non-smoker. All positive.

Anyway I was certain that I was not hypnotized, certainly I was fully conscious throughout. However I've never smoked again and that was 21 years ago.
    They gave me a cassette tape (I'm sure it would be a CD now :lol:) with the same sort of messages he gave during the session.
    So I've never even really craved a cigarette. I felt a bit like I had the flu as I detoxed, but otherwise it really was very easy and painless.
    I did however gain 40 pounds. :(

My wife and my Mom went to a different hypnosis seminar but it was very negative messages, and it didn't work at all for either of them.

I have seen Romaine ads on TV recently so he is still doing his thing, mind you in north America.
  • edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    If only it were that easy ;) What smoker hasn't been told that 1,000 times before? What smoker doesn't realize it's bad for their health?

I quit in a competition against someone I had much anger towards at the time.

Funny thing is, never lit another one since and it's been 20+ years. it really was a mind over matter thing for me. Or perhaps, emotion over matter :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    My Mum claims she quit like Ajahn Chah did, when she realized she was pregnant with me.
  • edited September 2010
    This gave me some extra incentive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DbFBu_I_lA
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Azikil wrote: »
    I quit in a competition against someone I had much anger towards at the time.

I've a friend whose an alcoholic and managed to stay stopped from drinking in the early days using the same method with other people people in AA.

I think the ego can be a useful tool if used correctly, and I hate to say it, but I find it easy to humble myself and say, "I'm just a weak man" where smoking is involved, so that wouldn't work for me.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    my girlfriend tried chantix. it actually made her really crazy. she was forgetting things, blacking out, and having severe mood swings. extreme depression. severe anger. she was so confused all the time, she didn't even know it was the medication making her feel this way. i had to beg her to stop taking it because i could see the effect. i knew two other people that had tried chantix as well and both said they couldn't finish the full 6 months because it made them too depressed.

but she did end up taking it for a few months before that point and was able to quit. at the same time, i quit cold turkey.

i think, mainly, i just tried to focus on the concept of the drug. it was irritating and interesting to me that a chemical can cause such a desire. every time it would arise, i would almost study it from a scientific standpoint. notice how strong this silly need was. realize how odd it was that our brains can convince us of these things. i tried to see it for what it was, an illusion.

but no matter what, i would not give in. the illusion of "just one cigarette" is hard to pass up, but i still have not given in. i'm at about 4-5 months now, and they say it takes about 6 before you are really out of the dog house. so my feelings still arise randomly. after a meal, in my car. today, actually, i had the urge to smoke after i had a particularly stressful day at work.

i suppose, my approach to the urge is similar to my approach in meditation. observe the thought, the desire, allow it to pass. the main thing though is to never give in, not even once. if your desire is strong, then you are still addicted.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    One day I just quit. I made up my mind that I didn't want to smoke anymore. I didn't do anything special, I just maintained the determination that cigarettes were not going to be a part of my life anymore. I wish I had some better advice to offer, sorry.
    Beej
  • edited September 2010
    I haven't smoked for years, but when I stopped I cut down to one after meals and then cut those out. Oh - and chewed sugar free gum for a while too. :)

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Something I found helpful was the mindfulness of smoking desire. When I quit, I found at first the desire was more intense and more often. Then, I noticed a pattern. The desire was coming back with larger spaces between and with less intensity. Once I realized things were getting better, I became aware that the desire and urge were just a temporary situation and I came to understand the impermanence of this habit.

Good luck with stopping.

Namaste
  • edited September 2010
    Something I found helpful was the mindfulness of smoking desire. When I quit, I found at first the desire was more intense and more often. Then, I noticed a pattern. The desire was coming back with larger spaces between and with less intensity. Once I realized things were getting better, I became aware that the desire and urge were just a temporary situation and I came to understand the impermanence of this habit.

Good luck with stopping.

Namaste

^that dude has it right.

Meditation helped me to stop smoking. This is how.

Recognizing the thoughts and feelings related to the craving of smoking. The more you do this, the more space will open up between the craving and the actual smoking.

1. notice the feelings associated w/ wanting a cigarette (physically and mentally) give them names like anxious, nervous, aggrevated, tension, stress.
    2. the more you notice the feelings that arise and name them when a craving happens- the more "space" there is between "you" and that feeling. In that space is where you can find the strength to not go on to the next cigarette. The space gets bigger and bigger until you forget you wanted a smoke in the first place. good luck- i know you can do it.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »

here is my suggestion. Stop trying to quit. Trying to quit sets up a battle and a battle requires you to use will power. Will power for most of us isn't as tough as we would like. Will power alone is often no match for addiction rooted in unconscious issues. It's a loosing battle before it even starts.

I've fought addiction for sigs but mariuana. It never worked, not even recovery and support groups. Untill I stopped fighting and surrendered. Surrendering to the here and now and all the crappiness it represents = reality. ' it'll never get better then this, so better make the most of it'...I must have said that to myself a milion times in the beginning, it almost became a mantra :)
  • edited September 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    One day I just quit. I made up my mind that I didn't want to smoke anymore. I didn't do anything special, I just maintained the determination that cigarettes were not going to be a part of my life anymore. I wish I had some better advice to offer, sorry.
    same, but a few things.. exercise (stamina) and math. by math i mean really comprehending how many cigarettes you smoke in a given period of time. lets say you smoke what, 10 a day? multiply 10 to a month and think of that many cigarettes. if that doesnt affect you, then times that by a few more months. instead of thinking about how many are in a pack or how many you do in one day, i found this to be really helpful in terms of mindfulness for my future health and making real numbers revealed instead of just thinking about that 1 cigarette you light up which seems harmless in that moment. i know youve attempted a lot of things and so me saying this seems small in comparison, but you never know! good luck, friend.
  • Hello everyone,

I run a mindfulness based quit smoking program from Australia and it is available globally.

Mindfulness has undergone much research over the years and has been shown to be effective in many areas including smoking cessation.

Psychology Today magazine recently stated "For smokers who had learned mindfulness, stress no longer automatically led to lighting up. Mindfulness reduced cravings. Mindfulness didn't just reduce activity, it functionally disconnected the different regions of the brain that make up the "craving network." Paying mindful attention to the trigger of the craving interrupted this complex brain response, and ultimately protected smokers from their own desire”

I teach clients mindfulness skills specifically designed for smoking cessation and tailored to each client's individual smoking habit. The mindfulness skills remove the power of urges to smoke. Urges are then able to come and go with little impact and influence. Once we learn how to take a detached, observing stance towards the urge and stay unhooked from any sabotaging thoughts we can better allow the urge to rise and fall away (which it will do) and not get caught up in the urge and avoid struggling with the urge (which can make it worse).

The urges are now not being reinforced or 'recharged' so they will now die away over time.

As we know, everything is impermanent and is always changing. This includes urges too. Urges will always fall away when we learn how to allow them to do so.

The program also includes the latest in quit smoking psychology, upgrading coping strategies and relapse prevention skills.

If anyone would like to find out more then you can go to -
    Mindfulness Quit Smoking Program

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any other questions at any time.

Hope this finds you all well.

Kind Regards,
    Steve
  • Smoke green tea. A fair amount of it. Once a day. Combine that with physical activity daily.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    put something stinky on the tips of your cigarettes. when you bring them to your mouth you will be disgusted by them, this is how they teach people to stop biting their nails =)
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Tosh- You are a marathon runner and a smoker? Oh gosh, Tosh. Oh gosh. Here's the thing.... you listed those six things that you tried to get you to quit smoking, and the reason why none of them worked, IMO, is that you didn't really want to quit. I smoked for 16 years and quit 2 years ago. I tried to "quit" many times before... I even lasted eight months once. But that whole time I just wanted to smoke again, so one day I did. For me, I had to really want to quit. I had to know that it was going to suck mentally and physically. I had to welcome that suckiness. I had to use that suckiness to drive me towards something positive. I basically had to change the way that I thought about everything, which was more a result of my entire life's problems than just of the smoking alone. I know that you go to AA and that this is basically what they help a person to do, but quitting smoking has such a less dramatic effect, initially, so it's never perceived as something that is immediately needed to change your life, BUT IT TOTALLY IS! It's difficult to quit, but no more difficult than sitting trough the physical and mental pain that can arise in meditation. And we know that those moments shall pass, so why not the urge to smoke? Here's a list of reasons why you should want to quit smoking (these things are subtle, but over time accumulate to an more awesomeness of self, or not-self):

1. Ciggarettes tend to put an "exclamation point" on a period of time. Without ciggarettes, life becomes more "open ended", no beggining to a moment and no end. Moments roll together and you see that everything is in flux, always.

2. Food tastes better.

3. You're clothes, hands, hair and people you come in contact with smell better.

4. Going outside just to go outside is way better than going outside for a ciggarette. Butterflies roam out there and it's easier to notice them when not caught in a cloud of smoke.

5. Eventually, EVERYTHING that you do will seem easier. Walking. Talking. Running. Sleeping (yes, you will actually have more restful sleep). Sex. Etc. And, last but not least, your breathing will improve dramatically, which can also improve the quality of your meditation.

So the real question is: Why wouldn't you want that stuff?
    edited August 2012
    wow. I just noticed that this thread was from two years ago. In case you already quit, Tosh, congrats. If not, this will be a nice reminder to you that it's time to do so. Heh. For anyone else who has yet to quit, good luck.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I haven't smoked in over a year (I think); well apart from the odd one many months ago; February maybe? Someone resurrected an old post of mine! :D
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Tosh said:

I haven't smoked in over a year (I think); well apart from the odd one many months ago; February maybe? Someone resurrected an old post of mine! :D

Awesome!! One of the hardest addictions to break, good on you!

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Tosh said:

So glad to hear this! Good for you, Tosh. :)

So... what worked for you?
    Awesome!
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Thanks. In the end I just stopped and started running (if you could call it that). The more my lungs cleared, the fitter I felt, the more I didn't want to pollute my lungs. I had a few relapses - I mix with guys who smoke - oh, my ego too, I used my ego - I shared in A.A. meetings how it's an indicator of how 'spiritual' you are by refraining from those things that you really want to do, but aren't good for us.

After sharing stuff like that, my ego couldn't take the embarrassment of a relapse amongst my A.A. friends; I sponsor some of these guys too - and you don't want to look weak in front of your sponsees do you?

I'm such a ruddy fraud sometimes! :D
  • I quit smoking 12+ years ago. Cold Turkey. Just got up one day and decided No More....
    I had already quit for a year or more for each of my 3 pregnancies, but started again soon as I was done breastfeeding. Then one time I quit for 3 full years, and then started again! :eek:
    I will never EVER tell anyone "its easy" that's for sure. But Now I'm on a 12.5 year Quitting Streak. :-)

This is not a very Buddhist remedy :p But I do know two long-time smokers (one for 20+ yrs and one for 40+ years!) who both were able to quit by using that sticky patch you place on your upper arm (or rib cage, or thigh) every day instead of smoking.

Took them both less than a month to quit completely. One of them has quit for almost 14 yrs and the other for just about a year now.
    Try it. Might be just what you need to get you past the initial cravings and headaches and toothaches, etc. that often comes along with quitting.

Best of Luck!!

:thumbsup:
  • Oh beans!! LOL I just realized this thread is TWO years old! :o
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    The question should be; do you really want to quit? Or are you trying to stop for something else?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I've stopped guys, I've stopped; over a year now! :D
  • Congrats! It was the hardestthing for me. I had a few relapses as well but themindfulness of smoking was my key. And I have done a bit of running, today we hike. Isn'tit a great way to live without smoking
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Tosh said:

I've stopped guys, I've stopped; over a year now! :D

Welldone !
  • edited August 2012
    I wouldn't suggest quitting completely an using other methods to help your cravings honestly I think the best way is weaning yourself off them slow as possible,maybe cut what you usually smoke daily in half an spread your cigs through out the day,then slowly an over time take one less cig away while slowly adding the methods you have used before,I can't really say this will help but its worth a try an I think it would def make things easier on you,hope I've helped! :]

EDIT: haha just read last thing you posted..GOOD JOB :] Keep it up!