Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why not sit outside?

edited September 2010 in Meditation
How comes we don’t meditate outside? The Buddha got enlighten outside under a tree. Countless others have gained enlightment in caves and other outside spots. I ask people if they ever sit outside and it’s almost always the same answer, “its too hard, and there is too many distractions”. Well that sounds a lot like a beginner who is sitting for the first time. It has got to get easier with time right? Is there a specific tradition that meditates outside?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I meditate outside, in fact I prefer to meditate outside. However, I don't think there is a specific tradition for meditating outside. I think it also has to do with personal prefrence of the person you ask. Just because they say it is "too distracting" doesn't mean they are beginners. Maybe they can't or isn't used to that kind of environment.
  • edited September 2010
    I regularly practice outside as well.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I love sitting outside! I prefer it for meditation as well. I meditate anywhere, but usually I'm inside as that's where I spend most of my time. Depending on who and where you are being inside is just as, if not more, distracting as any other environment. Learning to deal with distractions is part of the practice.
  • edited September 2010
    Just because they say it is "too distracting" doesn't mean they are beginners.

oops sorry, thats not what i meant. I meant the answer they gave ("too distracting") sounds like what a beginning student would say about meditating.
  • edited September 2010
    oops sorry, thats not what i meant. I meant the answer they gave ("too distracting") sounds like what a beginning student would say about meditating.

I thought that might have been, but wasn't sure. :winkc: And you are right it what a beginner would say.:tonguec:
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2010
    OK so i don't want to get all new-age-y here, but for those who meditate outside, have you found that animals seem attracted to you?

In the summer I sometimes meditate outside, although for me this generally means quiet Nembutsu recitation, and sutra chanting, and it just seems to attract birds, neighbourhood cats, even insects.

Maybe it is the calm.....or maybe I need to bathe more often:lol:
  • edited September 2010
    I prefer to meditate outside.

As for birds, animals, insects its best just to be aware of them in the same way that one might be aware of the wind or of a leaf falling ...rather than following after conceptual thoughts about them.

• edited September 2010
    I tried meditating in a graveyard once. As soon as I sat down, a big bat swooped down at my head. I got up and left immediately. :wtf:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    depends on where you live, i would say.

in my apartment complex we have a shared backyard. some of my elderly neighbors have a pretty firm hold on it. so i mean, i could meditate outside...but i'd have a bunch of old guys drinking beer and staring at me, hahaha. they are sweet though.

i could possibly find a secluded park somewhere and drive to it, but that is not likely to be a frequent practice.

as far as meditating outside, i am attempting to do walking meditation as it seems less conspicuous. haven't quite fallen into a good rhythm just yet though. still seems odd.
  • edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    depends on where you live, i would say.

in my apartment complex we have a shared backyard. some of my elderly neighbors have a pretty firm hold on it. so i mean, i could meditate outside...but i'd have a bunch of old guys drinking beer and staring at me, hahaha. they are sweet though.

i could possibly find a secluded park somewhere and drive to it, but that is not likely to be a frequent practice.

as far as meditating outside, i am attempting to do walking meditation as it seems less conspicuous. haven't quite fallen into a good rhythm just yet though. still seems odd.

i enjoy hiking and hanging out in the woods, so i always see these places that i think would be cool to meditate at. thats what sparked this thread. i wouldnt meditate in my back yard either.
  • edited September 2010
    i enjoy hiking and hanging out in the woods, so i always see these places that i think would be cool to meditate at. thats what sparked this thread. i wouldnt meditate in my back yard either.

Why not meditate in your backyard? Is it not a peaceful area? I live in aparment complex and I live on the 3rd floor, I will either meditate on my patio or I will go to this tree in my complex that no one goes near it wil very peaceful there.

I have also meditated in a graveyard, but I never had a bat swoop down at me. I think I would have gotten up and left after that as well.:lol:
  • edited September 2010
    I have also meditated in a graveyard, but I never had a bat swoop down at me. I think I would have gotten up and left after that as well.

I used to work near to a large, and very peaceful graveyard and I used to meditate in it during my lunchbreak.

Although I've never had the bat experience while meditating, I wouldn't be afraid of it. :)

I used to live in the country and there were lots of bats around - thankfully - as some have become endangered species and its sad to lose our wildlife.

• edited September 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I used to work near to a large, and very peaceful graveyard and I used to meditate in it during my lunchbreak.

Although I've never had the bat experience while meditating, I wouldn't be afraid of it. :)

I used to live in the country and there were lots of bats around - thankfully - as some have become endangered species and its sad to lose our wildlife.

You are lucky you are able to meditate during your lunch break. I try to do it during my lunch break, but people always want to bother me during that time so I never can do it.:( As for the bat, I wouldn't be afraid of it either, however I wouldn't want a bat flying at my head:p

When I stay at my boyfriend's parents house I end up helping with catching the bats that come into the house.:rolleyes: If I lived near a graveyard now I would probably still go and mediate there.
  • edited September 2010
    My mom doesn't exactly know that I'm Buddhist (she'd probably get mad if I told her that I was), so I can't really meditate anywhere other than my room. I would love to meditate outside, though.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    It's good to practice in places which trigger the operation of karmic patterns. That's mostly inside, in my case.
  • edited September 2010
    My mom doesn't exactly know that I'm Buddhist (she'd probably get mad if I told her that I was), so I can't really meditate anywhere other than my room. I would love to meditate outside, though.

You should tell her.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    It's good to practice in places which trigger the operation of karmic patterns. That's mostly inside, in my case.

One of the great benefits of sitting in a group too, especially if you have to sit next to the guy who has not showered in a week...or two :lol:
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I prefer to meditate outside.

As for birds, animals, insects its best just to be aware of them in the same way that one might be aware of the wind or of a leaf falling ...rather than following after conceptual thoughts about them.

I wasn't concerned with the animals being a distraction, simply an observation that they seem to be attracted to me when I meditate or chant outside.