Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Michigan?

edited October 2010 in Sanghas
anyone else from here?

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    yep. i see you are in flint. i was up there working last weekend!
    i'm a little south in detroit.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'm in grand rapids
  • edited August 2010
    I've been lurking here for awhile. I signed up just to say HI! from West MI, to everyone here. I moved to North Muskegon 10 years ago from Sterling Hts. Once or twice a year I visit my family so I am traveling to and through Grand Rapids and Flint, lol.
    Zombiegirl, (((hugs))) I've seen some of your recent post. I'm a noob but I know that our practice will bring closure to your pain. Jeffrey, I must get a bumper sticker with the coexist "logo", it was one of the first things I saw on this site, and it made me feel like this is where I belonged. TheravadaBuddhist, I too, through much research, have begun practicing and exploring Theravada. Do you use dharmaseed.org? I found Steve Armstrong to be a very helpful teacher. From the length of this post, I see it might have been a good idea for me to have continued lurking, lol.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    hello all, i actually grew up in a very small town outside of grand rapids/muskegon (which shall not be named!). but i did live in royal oak for a year, then back to GR for a while... then to lansing... and east lansing... and now i'm back on the east side, but happy about it. :)

thank you lotus bud, i appreciate your concern and i am quite hopeful as well. i was very hesitant to post because i know that there are so many people who have it so much worse than i. i also learned just how angry experiences like that can make you. i am grateful that i have buddhism to help me see the reality of these emotions, that they actually do more harm to me than anyone else.
  • edited August 2010
    right or wrong
    dukka is dukka
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'm in Michigan. Welcome TB!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I know there are others on the board from Michigan, seems to be a popular spot :D
  • edited September 2010
    right or wrong
    dukka is dukka
    what i meant was i think that the degree of dukka doesn't matter. just because there are people 'worse' off than ourselves, how is that supposed to make us feel any better? i would tend to think of all dukka as not good, and act accordingly(?)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited September 2010
    lol... a degree of dukkha. I think I have one of those on my wall. Maybe even a galldarned phd.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    While I currently live in Oregon, I was born in Detroit. In fact, I'm currently visiting my family and friends (like Brian and Lincoln) in Michigan right now, which is mainly why I'm MIA at the moment
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Lived in Livonia from K thru 7th grade, and then graduated from Plainwell High School (between Kalamazoo & GR). Lived back in Plainwell for a brief period after I got out of the military in the late 1980s. My parents still live on a lake in Barry County (SE of GR), and I was just up there earlier in August. Now comes winter...

Mtns
    edited September 2010
    what i meant was i think that the degree of dukka doesn't matter. just because there are people 'worse' off than ourselves, how is that supposed to make us feel any better? i would tend to think of all dukka as not good, and act accordingly(?)

oh, haha. i didn't respond because i had no idea what this meant and whether or not it was even pointed in my direction :) thanks for clarifying.

yes, i do see what you mean. and i do agree as well. if i had to explain why i wrote that, i guess i would just say that it comes as a result of my dislike of attention (i'm usually a pretty private person). it is hard for me to lay all of my cards on the table for others to judge, so to speak. i feel slightly ashamed sometimes that i struggle so much with my experiences when i know that there are others whom have had it so much worse. this makes me feel insecure about even asking for help. sometimes i think i should just, "get over it already" as some people have suggested such to me.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    sometimes i think i should just, "get over it already" as some people have suggested such to me.

Zg,

If there is anything you should 'get over'... its the idea that your suffering isn't valid! Our struggles are always subjectively difficult, and I feel it is unhealthy to invalidate (or overcome) our suffering by saying other people have it worse.

However, we can use other people's suffering as a motivation to heal our very own real and potent unhappy experiences... by accepting that healing our own minds will make us available to help others more skillfully. This makes our healing selfless, because we do it for the betterment of all.

With warmth,

Matt
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, to reiterate Jason's comment, both Brian and I live in Michigan (Warren) and the site is hosted there as well (Lansing).
  • edited September 2010
    Well I'm not in Michigan but we are neighbors, I'm in Toledo, OH so just south of the border so to speak :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    i feel slightly ashamed sometimes that i struggle so much with my experiences when i know that there are others whom have had it so much worse.

Everybody on the planet, and everybody who has ever lived on the planet can find somebody who is worse off (subjectively) than they are, but that doesn't diminish what's happening to you in the least.

Also, no matter how you feel, rest assured that probably within a literal stone's throw of wherever you're sitting, there are other people feeling the same way. Whether it's happy, lonely, irritated, peaceful, or whatever. You are NOT alone in your feelings. Our society is just so alienated from one another that we don't realize it anymore.

Mtns
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I'm North of Midland in the boonies near Gladwin.

Gotta love the forest here, so peaceful and quiet... though a local pack of coyotes have been disturbing my peace. They normally avoid humans but these seem a bit bolder :(
  • edited October 2010
    YEP! I'm a michigan girl! In fact, I've never lived anywhere else, I love our cold cold winters!