Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

$$$$$

2»

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Yeah, that's the place which wants $130 for an 8 or 9 session class. They do have day-long workshops for $45 (bring your own lunch) which is more in my price range, sort of. They also have one hour drop-in for $5, but since it's 1-1/2 hours one way for me that doesn't make sense.
    $130 for 8 or 9 sessions is a huge bargain if you ask me.
  • edited October 2010
    $130 for 8 or 9 sessions is a huge bargain if you ask me.
    Yes, $130/$8 = $~17. We spend more money in useless things all the year, so imo crying for that kind of amount is not too much if it is an important workshop/retreat.
    And you can also ask for some kind of scholarship for being a student, or simply because you can not pay all the price. For example, you can compromise yourself to pay $80 in advantage and maybe $20 later... I don't know. Imo, there are no excuses :P no one should be left out because of money issues.
  • edited October 2010
    I have paid for a meditation course and retreat and it was a very valuable experience. I don't think we can't dismiss it outright without asking questions. How long is the course? Do you stay there overnight? Does the money include meals? Are there speakers or teachers who will be flown in? Does running the course require that the organization hire people (cooks, maids, etc)? Does the fee include study materials?

There is a difference between a meditation center charging fees to make a profit and charging fees to provide a course/retreat.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I belong to a Buddhist center that runs off of donations, volunteer fund-raising, and government grants.

They ask for a $5 donation whenever you come, but no one checks to see if you're doing this. They also ask for a $40 donation on one-day retreats, but they just leave a basket on the table in the kitchen: 1/3 of the intake goes to the Center's operations, 1/3 goes to the teacher (a resident monk supported by the Center), 1/3 goes to the Building Fund (the membership has grown and the building is too small). And there is a $50 annual membership, which allows you have a vote at the General Meetings.

In my mind, this is an excellent compromise between access to the dharma and the reality of worldly costs.