Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Link to a specific post

CloudCloud Veteran
edited October 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
I know you can get the URL for a specific thread, but is there a way to link to a certain post so that when you click on the URL it loads the page and then focuses on that post (much like an HTML anchor, i.e. href=#top)?

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    One easy way to do so, Cloud, is simply to click on quote and be sure to include the numbers near the beginning in your selection of text to be copied. Then insert in the new post. When you submit your post readers will see a little white arrow pointing to the right in a blue rectangle —immediately following the name of the member being quoted.

Anyone clicking on that arrow will be taken to the desired post. Here follows, as an example, one of your posts.
    Cloud wrote: »
    I would think that our receptiveness to the Buddha's teaching is largely based on the amount of suffering we've experienced in this life, and our inability to find comfort in other religions or beliefs. Our progress is where merit would facilitate understanding or leave us frustrated.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Perfect, and easier than I thought. Thanks.
    edited October 2010
    You are very welcome. It is an excellent and much underused feature of this site.

One thing I really like about it is that members really need not quote entire posts, but those interested can easily go back and see the quotation in its original context. Whether the interest be for purposes of further clarification, context, or even a specific stage in an argument, these little index markers are really nice.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I've used them before for that purpose but didn't remember when I was trying to figure this out. It actually seems like a more intuitive feature for non-quote links to a specific post might be that the post number itself (i.e. #18) would have an HTML reference to its URL (which you could right-click and copy shortcut), or that there'd be a "Link to this Post" option, say at the bottom-right where you have quote/reply.

[And BTW as long as you have the p=XXXXX at the end of the URL, you don't need the additional #postXXXXX part. Dunno why there is a redundancy in that regard.]

Thanks again Nirvana.
    edited October 2010
    [And BTW as long as you have the p=XXXXX at the end of the URL, you don't need the additional #postXXXXX part. Dunno why there is a redundancy in that regard.]
    From a non-techie to a techie, can you put that in other words? I'm lost. Or am I just hopeless?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Say you click on that arrow and get a URL, like this:

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139446#post139446

To put it short the part after the ? mark is the information being fed to the software (PHP script or whatever). The part "p=139446" by itself directs to that post. The additional "#post139446" is one of those HTML tags, but it doesn't seem to matter if you remove it to make the URL shorter.

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139446

So the above URL still goes to the same post.

By the way I found out you can click on the post number (i.e. "#18"), but this brings the post up all by itself and not still in-line with the full thread.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    By the way I found out you can click on the post number (i.e. "#18"), but this brings the post up all by itself and not still in-line with the full thread.

Click on the post number, then click the link on the upper right hand side (Thread: "Name of thread"). This will bring the post up in-line with the full thread.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks!