Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Early Buddhism / Thervada?

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
:hrm:

Could anybody explain how Theravada has deviated from the Early school?

And maybe if anybody is really nice nice you could tell me how much of the Tipitaka is corrupted with Theravadan ideas? :o

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Good luck with that, there are no "earlier" schools/teachings left to figure out what differences there may be. Basically what the Theravadin monks preserved is the earliest account remaining "on record".

It is a very common occurrence that people wanting to know what the Buddha actually taught will have their own conception of "differences", but these are in every case personal evaluations and impossible to verify by anyone else. I've been guilty of this myself, but I'm giving all that up now; just a distraction from practice, and only practice shows you the truth of things.
    Jeroen
  • edited November 2010
    As has been said, there's no way to know. So search for the truth, regardless of where you find it or what it is.