Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Letting go

edited November 2010 in Meditation
Is there any specific meditation that can help with this? There is currently an issue in my life causing a bit of grief and whilst I feel I have finally accepted it is happening I can not seem to 'let go' of it. Wondering if there is a particular type of meditation to help with this?

RC

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Yes.
    See yourself on your deathbed.
    How hard will 'letting go' be for you then?
  • edited November 2010
    If you go to buddhanet.net http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm and under guided meditation, see "healing painful emotions".
    It has helped me and hope it helps you too.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It's not much of a meditation for me, I just move past whatever is on my mind.
  • edited November 2010
    This article might help: Grief and the Mindfulness Approach

Perhaps you could try metta (loving kindness, friendliness) meditation. Maybe loving your grief is a bit of a stretch but metta practice can help you to be more open and receptive to negative emotions.

Also, you could try: 'Letting be' meditation. This is from Ajahn Brahm's book 'Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook'.

I think it's important to recognise the difference between letting go of and getting rid of. I'm not saying that you're trying to get rid of your grief, but I myself would often try to let go of say anger but I realised I was in fact just trying to get rid of it because I didn't want it; and by trying to push it away or suppress it I was in fact giving it more energy. Now that I'm a little more open to these kinds of emotions, and more mindful of them, when they arise it's ok, it's not a big deal anymore. I can be angry but it doesn't take over, i've let go of my attachment to it to a certain extent; it's still there, I still get angry, but i'm more friendly towards, I don't struggle with it as much. Now there's a lot more space around it so now I can observe and learn from it.

You have grief, that's your experience right now, and it, like all other experiences, are impermanent, it will pass. I think the more energy you give to being mindful of grief the less your mind will cling to it. Notice how the mind tends to repeat the same stories around it and how you might habitually believe and go into the stories. See if you can be aware of how the mind gets sucked in to them and then goes around in circles, which just serves to increase the pain. But of course it's all easier said than done. Best of luck with your practice.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks everyone. Magga you are completely correct and I know exactly what my mind is doing. I will have a look at the article you have supplied and Ajahn Brahm's book. I attend his talks on Friday nights and he has helped me a lot in the past. Thanks for the guided meditation link newbud will check it out also.